'Rattlesnaking' worse since 1.2 update.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The rattlesnaking of my PL25 on the E-M5 is noticeably worse since I updated the 1.2 firmware.

A 'fix' in the update would have been nice.

Anyone else noticed any difference.
  2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Never heard it on the EM5 myself..... how weird!
  3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
  4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Aperture blade "chatter". An annoying thing the PL25 has a habit of doing.

I've not updated my camera yet (can't find the darn cable)...hopefully this isn't an issues for everyone.
  5. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I believe my 12-50 was "rattle-snaking" yesterday. I never heard that lens aperture noise before 1.2

but I was in a strange light (strong light, strong shadows and a graduated filter on the lens).
  6. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I noticed some rattlesnaking with my E-M5 and P14 yesterday. I'm on firmware 1.2, but honestly haven't used the lens too much so I don't know if the upgrade is a factor. My P25 is still quiet after the upgrade.
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I started a thread a while ago in which I said that I thought the update had fixed the rattle snaking on mine after an afternoon shooting outside in which I didn't notice any rattle snaking at all. Then I changed my mind after pointing it at a fluorescent light indoors and getting the rattlesnake.

I have a feeling that there has been a change in the rattlesnake with the update but I find it hard to be positive about that. My feeling is that it isn't quite as bad, but that it's really only a small change and I could well be imagining it. I don't think it's worse with mine, but it's definitely still there for me.
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Someone around here posted a list of modes/settings where PL25 rattlesnake can occur on the E-M5.

I am running 1.2 and I never have any rattlesnake, but I am almost always in A mode.
  9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think it can occur in any mode. I've seen several different theories as to why it occurs but the one that makes most sense to me is that it has to do with maintaining a particular image brightness level in the viewfinder. If the light gets too bright, or it seems also too contrasty, or even changes in level by too much in too short a time, the Olympus firmware shuts the aperture blades a bit to lower the level of light falling on the sensor, I think to protect the sensor. For some reason with the 25 and 20 the firmware controlling this seems to have difficulty making up its mind about how much to stop down the lens so it opens and closes the blades repeatedly very quickly for a period of time, causing the noise.

Most reports are about the 20 and 25 though I have seen comments that some people get it also with the 45. What's common to the 20 and 25 is that their maximum aperture is greater than 1.8, the fastest lens Olympus currently make for M43, and the 45 is the 1.8 lens that is currently available. It doesn't seem to happen with slower lenses and I think that gives some support to the theory that the cause is related to protecting the sensor from too much light. I wonder if we'll see a report or two about it with the 75 once there's a few of them out there.

It should definitely be fixable by firmware update, with a change to the routine controlling how Olympus bodies control the lens when the triggering circumstances occur. Amin started a thread about it some time ago after he raised the issue with some people in Panasonic whom he knew and he reported that his contacts passed it on to some people in Olympus who could replicate the problem and said Olympus could fix it. We're all still waiting.
  10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I went out around lunchtime today with the 25 on my E-M5. Bright, contrasty winter light. I forgot I was shooting at 3200 ISO in the dark last night and started out shooting at that setting, and having to stop down to around F/8 to F/11 to get a shutter speed below 1/4000 sec, then corrected my ISO setting to 200. No rattlesnaking at all during the hour or so I was shooting. Indoors under a fluorescent light I can still get it to rattlesnake.

As I said, I used to get rattlesnaking outdoors in the light I get here, but I am not getting it outdoors since the update. The only other thing that has changed is that I am now using the camera with the grip attached but I can't see why that would make a difference and I am still getting it indoors with the grip attached, but it seems to occur a little more slowly (as in the blades don't open up/close down as quickly when they're doing it) and it seems a little lower in noise level when it does occur indoors.

I'm becoming more convinced that the update did have a beneficial effect on my camera at least with this problem.
  11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I have similar experience after the update, even though I have only used the PL25 since the update on a few occasions, but I definitely get the sense that the rattlesnake starts acting up when pointing the camera towards indoor fluorescent lighting, while it remains quite in natural lighting...
  12. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    I first noticed this one night when I accidentally pointed the camera at an overhead light ... WTF! :eek:

Does it affect the functioning of the camera though .... as far I can ascertain no so why worry?
  13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia

I don't know, but I do know that before the update I was getting the rattlesnake noise in daylight outside as well as inside when I pointed the camera at a light. As I said, I don't seem to be getting it outside now and that's an improvement in my book.
  14. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have my PL25 after I upgraded to 1.2 so I don't know how it behaved before.
    My PL25 rattlesnakes outdoor only under bright sun. I haven't notice it indoor or at night.
    Power cycling the camera sometimes cures it sometimes doesn't. It's a totally random phenomena.
  15. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    My rattlesnaking also occurred under a mixture of fluorescent light and sunlight through a window.
  16. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    You will... sorry to say.. darn.. but it's not bad..
  17. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Try hooking up an old 4/3rds lens and listening to the focusing!!

But I get your meaning.