1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Rattle in the Nocticron 42.5mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nuclearboy, Jun 4, 2015.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I just opened a brand new Nocticron 42.5mm lens and it seems to have a loose part inside. This cannot be normal but I am asking Nocticron owners what they think.

with both lens caps off, I can hold the lens and gently shake it and something moves back and forth. Whatever is moving is not too light. It feels like something heavier moving back and forth. It makes a slight noise when it hits it stop on both ends. I have not even used the lens yet and will be calling Panasonic right away. Just wanted to check with real users too.

Nothing shakes or moves if I gently rock the lens forward and back along its axis. If I do the same side to side, I here the noise and feel the loose part sensation.

Thanks for any help and or observations.

The lens does function and focus.

2. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    As an update. Panasonic Tech support tells me this is normal when the lens is not on the camera and powered up. I did test the lens on the camera with the camera on and with gentle back and forth motion like before, the rattle (or movement of internal parts) is not present.

If someone has a Nocticron and could see if gentle side to side movement causes some internal movement that can be felt and heard, that would be great. This is only happening on this new lens when it is not powered up.

Is this the IS system moving around?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  3. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I noticed that with the new 42.5mm 1.7 IS also... Oly 12mm & 25mm doesn't have the noise/shake as they don't have lens IS.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    It's entirely normal ... Mine does it too

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Thanks,
    that helps.

Now that I have looked through my lenses, all of my Panasonic lenses with IS have some small movement inside when I move them side to side. I never noticed before. The Nocticron's is much more noticeable (hard not to notice) I assume because it is a heavier lens.

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Mine also does it and it still takes flawless images.
    Bobby

7. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I am glad to here that this is normal (I think). At least I don't have to return the lens and now I can focus on taking photos. Thanks for all the help.

8. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Lenses with IS or FLE elements will have a rattle when you shake them. This is a basic rule for any lenses that have those elements inside. When they are attached to the camera, normally the rattle stops since the elements are activated by magnets to either stabilize or adjust the image for sharpness. I was wondering that when I was using Canon stuff so I looked up info on those elements.

9. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    100% perfectly normal...enjoy the lens. :thumbup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Its normal, mine does it too, what you're hearing is the sound of the floating lens element, which is required for optical image stabilization.

11. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    I think your Nocticron is definitely screwed. You should immediately send it to me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    My Nocticron has the same problem! I am so tired of it! What is your address?

• Funny Funny x 1