Rather annoyed with an ebay seller in returning adapters

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by KBeezie, Feb 10, 2015.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I figured I would get some cheap adapters as spares just in case and I've had decent luck in the past so I figured I would do a search for BIN listing for a PK and AI adapter to micro-43rd and restrict the listings to United States only (though I should have checked the seller profile to see where they are based and this one happened to be based in China but listed item location as United States).

Anywho long story short, I get the adapters, immediate problems already.

The PK Adapter
    • It's not the same one as shown in the listing, doesn't have that studded/textured ring around the end I wanted but rather the more common smooth barrel look with a couple recesses.
    • It doesn't fit at all, it's like it's slightly warped so it can't fit into the camera without being cock-eyed*

*The seller actually told me to try to make it fit, I told them I was not *forcing* anything into my camera, that it was utterly stupid to suggest that. If it doesn't fit smoothly in, I'm not going to attempt going further than that.

The AI Adapter
    • It's missing the screw around the M4/3 mount base that prevents the adapter from turning too far counter-clockwise when you go to un-mount it, hence not something I'd want to use in the camera.

I provided pictures of both adapters, highlighted what the problem was, showed several pictures (attached to ebay) showing how it wouldn't mount and so forth, initially I was just going to ask for an exchange but they kept leaving cookie cutter messages and broken english, and then not responding with something coherent for a while. Basically asking me to try to jerry-rig the converters.

The initial response back contact wise (on the 3rd):

and
    and most of the other responses were just repeats of the previous ones.

Then I went ahead and did a 'request a refund' on both, explaining the same information I already provided.

The main thing they keep responding back with is that they want me to take a video of the problem and email them outside of ebay, I already explained to them as I only have one camera on hand right now I cannot effectively take a video of the problem and furthermore I will not communicate outside of the ebay system.

Then after my response:

Then after I further re-stated I am not communicating outside of the ebay system

I've already provided them more than adequate amount of information, and detailed descriptions of the problem, over $15 worth of adapters they certainly don't trust me from the sound of it.

Tomorrow (11th) (Edit: For some reason it now says "On Feb 12th" that I can request them to step in, where as before it said the 11th) I'll step it up to have ebay involved. Simply put, I know it's only $15... but they annoyed me to the point that I'm going to keep it going so least an ebay staff can see how they handle support. I really should have checked to make sure the seller themselves was also based in the US (though they can lie about that too, but not as likely to have issues).

Far as not being the same adapter for the PK

This is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261743647743

This is what I got:
    1xrBtl8.
    7bfwJNb.

While this was all going on, I went ahead and got a Fotodiox PK adapter with the open/close ring (As I already own 3 other fotodiox adapters), but course that one didn't look like the one on their sales page either, and the camera end was too lose (wiggled a bit and any rear cap placed on it was so loose it would fall off if you just wiggled it a little). But least with them they asked a couple questions for clarification, and sent off a replacement along with a rear cap just to make sure, which was a bit more snug as expected (though the lens side was a tad loose so I just swapped the mount ring from the first onto the new one and now it's just perfect). So... $40 adapter vs $8... you're paying for the prompt support when things don't arrive quite as expected.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Got refunded for both by ebay (or as they call in their message "courtesy refund") roughly a few hours after escalating it for help from eBay.