Rate OVF options for my E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobertS, May 16, 2013.

1. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Kindly rate the optical viewfinder options available for use on the E-PL2.
    Is the VF-2 the ONLY really GOOD option, with all other mechanisms in a distant 2nd place? Or do any of the "others" (and less expensive options) actually work quite well?

I recently bought a nice used E-PL2, and the more I use it, the more I'm liking it. But using the LCD to compose and see the shot before pressing the shutter button, is a problem on bright sunny days. I'm almost always pleased with the results when reviewing on the computer, but it would be nice to have some instant feed back before taking the pictures in the first place.

I'm aware of several options for doing this, not the least of which is Oly's own VF-2. Are the others even worth considering?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sounds like you're looking for EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) options, not OVF (Optical Viewfinder). :)

The newest VF-4 is actually your best option once you can get your hands on one and if you can afford it. :) The VF-2 is the second best choice, with the next best clarity, resolution, and view size. The VF-2 however is best used with a tether due to lack of lock. The VF-3 is your third option, with a slightly slimmer build and a convenient lock. It's also the cheapest option if paying retail, though you may find a used VF-2 for about the same price as a new VF-3. I'm sure if you could find a used VF-3 that should be your cheapest option of all.

Since your primary concern is sunny days, then you could also get a Hoodman Loupe or similar product to shade the back LCD instead. This one should fit the E-PL2: http://www.amazon.com/Hoodman-H-LPP3-HoodLoupe-Professional-3-Inch/dp/B001N0KEWU
  3. RobertS

RobertS Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks for the info., Ned. And yes, I meant to say "EVF".
  4. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    I use a VF-2 on my E-PL2 and it works great. I've considered getting the new VF-4, but the price (compared to the E-PL2 itself) makes it seem superfluous.
  5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Unless you plan on upgrading to the new E-P5 in a year or two, don't get the VF4. It is no better than the VF2 on an E-PL2. If you read the specs they say it downgrades itself when used on older bodies and does not have the auto-eye-detect feature. The only advantage would be the lock. I have two of the VF2s and I don't have a problem with them falling off. They do tilt a little too easy sometimes but they fit snug on my bodies.
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Interesting, I did not hear about this. Is there a link for additional information? I have an E-PL2 and an E-PL5, and was wondering how it would work on the latter body.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here are the full VF-4 external viewfinder specs.

Finder Type approx. 2.36M-dot
    Viewfinder magnification / Field of view Approx. 1.48x (-1m-1, 50mm lens, Infinity) / Approx. 100%
    Eye point Approx. 21mm (-1m-1, Distance from rear lens surface)
    Diopter adjustment range -4 ~ +2m-1
    Eye Sensor Available* *E-P5, E-PL6 - -
    Lock mechanism Available
    Weight 41.8g
    Dimension 30.4mm(W)× 48.2mm(H)×47.8.mm(D)   
    Optional Eyecup - EP-9 is available. -
    Compatible Body E-P5 / E-PL6* (Compatible with eye sensor ) *When using E-PL6 and VF-4, eye sensor function is same as E-M5

E-PL5, E-PM2, E-M5, E-PL3, E-PM1, E-P3 Firmware update required, Not compatible with eye sensor)

E-PL2, E-PL1, E-PL1s, E-P2, XZ-2 (Firmware update required, Not compatible with eye sensor, Image degradation on view finder

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    As I understand it, the VF4 still provides a larger FOV than any of the others. Or am I missing something? For me, that would be worth some upcharge.
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Good to know about the image degradation on older cameras!

I was considering the VF4 but I guess I'll stick with the VF2 for my E-PL1. Kinda makes sense.... more resolutions requires more bandwidth. Bandwidth that might not be supplied by older hardware. At least Olympus kept backward compatibility... but it would be nice to make that detail a bit more obvious in their marketing material. Ah but the devil is always in the details.
  10. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    The VF2 is very nice. I sold mine when I sold the EPL2. I found that I used it mainly when the lcd was blocked by bright light. So when I picked up the EPL5, i went with the VF3 and put the $ diff towards a lens. Unless you are routinely a EVF shooter, I recommend the VF3. It is not as nice as the VF2 but gets the job done and you don't have to worry about knocking it off the camera.