Rant: Juicero and Why I'm getting tired of the "high tech" world

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by WT21, Apr 21, 2017.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've been working in tech since the early 90s, but I'm getting tired of it. Not photo-tech, but just Silicon-Valley led breathless rush into the future. It's so full of charlatans.

This one is just mind-numbing that they raised $120m in VC funds for an IoT based juicer. (warning, some language in the Gizmodo article, but it's fully warranted language, lol). You have to see this to believe it, lol.

Juicero Offers All Customers a Refund

http://gizmodo.com/juicero-ceo-begs-you-do-not-open-our-juice-bags-1794507811

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I've been following the Juicero since last year. At that time I thought it was a scam. The news this week just confirms it.

$700, $600, $400 to squeeze a bag of juice. That's pretty funny.

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Living in Silicon Valley since 2000, I can tell you that the number of bad ideas that get funded is pretty incredible. Having said, a lot of this c**p gets taken care of when this stuff meets the marketplace. I always tell people that they need to not fall for the hype.

The fact is that there is no monolithic silicon valley. Many companies - big and small. Lots of different people with ideas - some great ones, many good ones and tons of horrible ones. Who gets funded has often little to do with the merit of the idea. After 16+ years of working here, my wife describes the VC process as younger men seducing older men for their money. A little graphic perhaps, but very apt. However, in the end many good ideas do come out and make life better. The key is pick and choose what really makes sense for your life.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Oh my goodness. That is perfect.

5. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

That's why they call it "Silly Con Valley."

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have been growing more and more upset at the endless landfill fodder that gets churned out today thanks to "progress".

We are now producing 1.5 billion phones per year globally, up from 1 billion in 2010. Every single one of those phones will be outright worthless in 2-5 years. Think of all the phones you've owned in the past 10 years, and how many are sitting in a box or landfill. If this keeps up, I'd guess just about every 13 year old is going to go through a phone every 2 years for their entire life. If we times that by the estimated world population over the next century, we are at like 350,000,000,000 garbage phones.

And that's just phones.

TV's used to be a 20 year purchase. Now every 5 years you gotta convert from 720p, to 1080p, to 4k, and now we are already talking 8k. None of us really want to use a 5 year old camera. How many computers have most of us donated or junked in our lives? It's just everything. Pretty soon all appliances will be "smart" and you'll have to replace your oven every 6 years because there's some security flaw that isn't patched in "old" hardware. You don't want some hacker to burn your house down, right?

We know we can't do this forever, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

That's just half the problem.

On the other end of the supply chain, we are rapidly running out of resources. Oil seems cheap today, but it is on what the International Energy Agency calls an "undulating plateau" before diving into permanent, irrevocable decline, which could be as much as 10% per year. That will mean permanent economic depression.

And it isn't just petroleum. We used to get kilograms of metal from a tonne of ore, now it's grams. Can civilization continue when we only get milligrams per tonne of ore?

We are caught between the twin pincers of resource depletion and pollution. And most people are just waltzing through this, simply oblivious.

Now that you're aware, do what you can. Grow food. Work closer to home. Work at home! Down-size your house. Grow food. Avoid excessively packaged products. Fix and re-use things. Shop at thrift stores. Buy nothing new. Grow food. De-consume. Starve the beast!

None of us are perfect. Do what you can do. I just bought my first new camera in twelve years. I'm typing this on a ten-year-old computer. My pickup truck is 26 years old. I only drive once or twice a week. You can do it too…

I don't expect that to go over well on a website devoted to technical progress…

• Like Like x 5
  8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been saying for a long time that landfills are going to be the mines of the future. Either that, or asteroids, depending on mankind's trajectory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Perhaps. But recovery is in many ways much more complex than mining and refining.

The steps you take to recover gold from a landfill may render the copper as a waste product, for example.

Contrast this to a mine, where the material is homogenous, and you apply one straightforward process to refine the end product.

In a world of increasing economic desperation and unemployment, it may well be that hand-sorting the best bits out of a landfill will be a common form of employment. Many third-world countries employ lots of people processing our waste in such a manner right now. The western world won't be far behind.

10. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

From Chuck Shepard's News of the Weird:
    S4210356.JPG
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Olympus Digital 50mm ƒ2 Macro.

• Like Like x 1
  11. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
  12. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    When dooming and glooming it's always good to remember that 120 years ago we seemed destined to be buried in horse manure.

The Great Horse-Manure Crisis of 1894 | Stephen Davies

It's a good idea to use our resources wisely, but the key to long-term survival is innovation. Thus Juicero...

13. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

… we would have killed every last whale for lamp oil, had we not started pumping kerosene out of the ground.

Deus ex machina, once again, courtesy Juicero? :)

If not, it wouldn't hurt to do some preparation. Then, if a crash never comes, you'll have eaten all those delicious home-grown tomatoes and made the Earth a better place for no good reason at all! What a shame… NOT!

14. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

And according to The Smithsonian, we're right on track for Meadow's "Business As Usual" model — widespread population crash by mid-century.
    Futurism-Got-Corn-graph-631-thumb.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017