1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Rant/Is every service provider a hiding pervert?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Acraftman, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    I brought this up before but just want to query if there is a search engine or email provider that doesn't deem it necessary to snoop thru everything on your personal computer.
    I guess its just because I am old or was brought up to respect other peoples privacy that it irks me you cannot look at or join or use a service that doest feel its there right to go thru your stuff.
    This comes after repeated threats from Yahoo which has joined forces with aol (quoted) to from Oath,a name which to me implies some from of integrity.LOL! That if I don't agree to there new improved terms my access to flicker and my attached e-mail address will be terminated.
    I guess this is the new business in America where we not only are subjected to relentless advertising but are forced to accept the fact that some lonely creep that writes hardware for computers needs to look thru everything personal just so they can provide there idea of a better experience.
    A programmer told me he uses Bing as a search engine but I doubt it really makes a difference. I have cookies installed on my laptop that can't be erased if I clear the ones that can and log onto this site say one other I will immediately have 150 to200 new cookies back running thru my stuff. Frankly it sucks.
    My initial desire was to try and log into flicker though other way but it seems like that might not be possible.Done ranting. Heres the quote from oath.
    View attachment 668721

2. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    You give up privacy if you use the internet,which is free of charge.In my experience they are only interested in taking your money,at least in the US. In other places they might do even worse things to you.

3. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    About fifteen years ago I registered a website address and set up my own email address as part of the website. So I don't have to worry about Yahoo etc mail.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

The reason free services are free is because they sell your data to marketers. If they can't collect info about you, they have no data to sell. It's not perverts looking through your data, it is an army of analysts who create profiles about you so they can determine whose ads you should see.

As was said above, the only way to get around it is to use paid services.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BobK

BobK New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2016
    Woodbridge, nj
    Try Duckduckgo.com search engine. They claim they do not track you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

They may not, but every site you visit will still track you. Especially if you browse while logged into social media or google.

7. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    I have a friend that uses outlook.com for email because it was the only way she could avoid her email getting scanned. The catch is you have to pay for it.

Companies offering "free" services need to make money somehow. I know a lot of people that complain about the lack or privacy. But very few that are willing to pay for privacy. If people are not willing to pay for a VPN service or private email I have to question how much they really value privacy.

Facebook seems to be the worst offender. Its got to the point where I removed the app from my mobile devices and only access it through a browser in a Linux VM used for nothing else.

You can either pay for a product or be the product. I use gmail for email despite the scanning. But after trying a few different free or low cost photo hosting sites I started paying for SmugMug and it is worth every penny. So much data can be tied to your IP address I am also considering paying for a VPN service.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

There's a reason a lot of people prefer apple to google. I really like google's services, but they track the heck out of you. And if you run their OS, they track you even when you aren't necessarily "online". Apple's business model is selling hardware and subscriptions, not collecting data for marketers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I have a (free) outlook.com email address as well, and noticed that I don't get any adverts through it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

I too host my own stuff, at a cost of about $11/month.

But I also use Google on my desktop and phone. Note Google doesn't sell or share your data... they use it to deliver ad content to you. And Chrome has incognito windows that do not track.

If you're not willing to be profiled in any way, Apple's systems and services is probably the best way, although you'll still have to make a decision of which search engine to use.

For me... Google makes it very clear what they collect and how they use it (and I can download and/or delete it anytime I choose), and I am ok with that. And Gmail is the most reliable, spam free email service on the planet!

I also use a VPN when I am out and about.

• Like Like x 1
  11. There are ways and means of being “anonymous” online. However, social media is a tricky one if you want to present a personal face to it.

If you are only presenting landscapes or nature then sites such as Flickr or Instagram can be signed up for with any e-mail address: you could even use a different throwaway one for each site (not much tracking can happen if you never use the email address!). Use a browser such as Firefox with a “no tracking” plugin and use a VPN service such as NordVPN or any other that takes your fancy. That should minimise any data that is being collected. The most extreme way is to spin up a boot image of Linux (preferably on a non-writable media such as CD-R).

As others have said, “free” just means that the provider is covering the costs in another fashion. This is almost always as advertising and this is increasingly targeted by tracking your every move. I’ve had situations where we were discussing something in the office and within an hour a targeted ad for a product related to our discussion would appear on Facebook! This was using an iPhone... so although Apple doesn’t collect there are plenty of other apps that do, even through your phone microphone.

12. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Thanks everyone for clarifying some of this for me to be honest I kinda thought the $175 a month I'm paying for cellular phone and data, and the $120 a month to the cable company for(a landline even though I don't own a land phone), internet access and crappy cable which is infomercials and more ads might include a little right to privacy. Putting the label they have to make money somehow seems a little strange, I am self employed and used to do my contracts and business negations thru e-mail so it was a surprise when F-Face book started sending me notifications that I might (KNOW) this person, whom I have a 10 year old contract with in a state 1500 miles from where I now reside,I really feel like its kinda screwed up if I show a nipple on here Im in trouble but its okay for companies to advertise dating services which pop up here or for example on this site in a discussion somebody was asking for options on the purchase of a new mattress I read the comments and five minutes later there are ads from mattress companies in the right column.
    Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 7.16.56 PM.

13. The problem is that none of that money gets passed to any of the content providers. The phone and Internet providers are merely very expensive gatekeepers!

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I take comfort from the fact that Big Brother is still pretty stupid:

I was on holiday recently, and I saw this interesting looking ship, so I googled it only my phone. It was a very very upscale cruise liner. So then I looked up to see what it cost to go on it. I will never ever be able to afford it.

But now for several weeks, I get hammered with adverts for going on it, on my phone and PC. As does my pre-teen child.

Idiots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Wow, where do you live? That is about 3 times what I pay for cell phone with 6 GB/month of data. And about twice what I pay for the internet portion of my cable bill. I live in the suburbs north of Atlanta and for $70/month could get 100 Mbps from ATT if the cable company ever tried to charge that much for internet access.

16. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    I have three phones.

17. Will Focus

Will Focus Mu-43 All-Pro

Try googling info on how much it costs to visit the Sun. Just for laughs. You'll probably want to visit at night, you know, when it's cooler.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    A better way to think of it is as a toll way. When you get on you have to pass through the toll booth. what you pay goes toward keeping the road in good working order. They don't care if your one person in a car, or a tour bus full of people.

Rant,

As someone who works in the web world, these types of topics are very frustrating. The general public is generally clueless how anything works regarding the web, so they believe and then propagate hysterically wrong believes at times.

1. They aren't scanning your computer. The only way they can scan your computer or phone is if you install and application or app that lets them. This is only done by hackers or super shady companies.
    2. "Analists" aren't looking at what you are doing. Computer algorithms are looking at tracking cookies, or if you are blocking that they fall back to ip address & user agent combos, or in some cases just the ip address.
    3. they aren't selling your data, again only super shady ass people/companies and hackers do that. what they are doing is selling add services to companies and they use the anonymous profile they built to try and present you adds for things you are most likely interested in.

Being carded at a restaurant is way more dangerous but people don't give that a second thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    There are not very difficult ways around a lot of this (not all, of course).
    I use Startpage for my home page.
    It is an anonymous free search engine that does not track you or keep any history of searches.
    They use the Google search service but pass your search through as an anonymous request.

The Firefox browser has several privacy features and add-ons.
    One of my favorites is an add-on that erases any site cookies as soon as you leave or close a page anywhere on the net -
    so that page (FB - cough, cough) can't follow you around the internet.
    You can also set Firefox to tell websites "Do Not Track" - not all comply but many do.
    I also use add-ons that get rid of the "share" FB,Twitter, etc. buttons (that track), ghost pixels, even ad blockers.

I have gone on Google and completely erased my history there - they make it fairly easy to do.
    Also don't sign in to Google pages like YouTube or any others where it is optional.
    You can set Facebook to not use your info to target ads and you can review and delete your info history there also.

None of this makes perfect but for instance
    when I went back and checked my Google account several months after deleting my history,
    it was still almost completely empty.

All of this works well and is not hard to do. :dance2:

• Like Like x 1
  20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    If you put the Facebook app on your phone, even for 10seconds your hosed, they just got everything from your phone (Apple or Android)

Horse bolted? Too late to close that barn door now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.