Rant: I don't get Sony NEX?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Jonathan F/2, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Camera body specs are great, but I don't get how people get excited over a system that has no lenses? The only worth while lenses are the Zeiss 24 1.8 (I think Zeiss anything is overrated) and the 50 1.8 OSS. People are dumping their DSLR kits going crazy for this stuff. For one thing, I'm not a fan of APS-C anything in DSLR form compared to FX/FF. You just can't get the same subject separation and I know I have some awesome full-frame glass. Even though m43 is smaller sensor-wise, I just find the overall system more interesting. It also seems all of a sudden everyone is shooting MF which I don't get, because I still prefer an optical solution to manual focusing (sorry m43 MF shooters).

I'm trying to find a reason to like Sony's system...but I can't? I can buy a NEX system today, but I just find it sorta...blah. Am I missing something?

2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Because we represent a tiny segment of the market. When a soccer mom goes into BestBuy and purchases a NEX they will probably never take the kit lens off ever.

My sister (who is an extreme soccer mom) was given a T1i by her husband for Christmas last year - he got it at Costco. She wanted it because she wanted to get better shots of her kids playing sports. She only uses the lens that came with it and has no plans whatsoever to purchase any additional lenses.

I think that NEX also sells well because of the Sony brand name.

3. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    Totally agree.

Quite simply sony nex cameras are completely unbalanced, with a slim body and objectives as large as those for SLR, and if we add the absence of fast lenses and the presence instead of dark and mediocre lenses (as the pancake 16mm), the picture is complete.

Plus now the situation has worsened with the introduction of nex7, with a sensor too thick, already noisy @iso400 and mixed than ever already @1600

In short, I see no valid reasons to consider a similar system and, imho, those who buy a sony nex does more than anything else because is influenced by marketing (24mpx sensor etc.).

Micro4/3 at present, is the only mature mirrorless system.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not talking about that segment of camera buyers, I'm talking about guys who have tons of high end camera gear and buy an NEX and go crazy. Also maybe it's just me, but I'd rather Sony have kept the Minolta name in their camera division...maybe I'd have more respect for their system! :tongue:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Then Sony would have started making Minoltas like Sonys, and us old-time Minolta users would be complaining how Minolta went straight downhill after the Sony take-over and the long legacy of the Minolta name is no longer the same.

It's better that Sony let the Minolta name die rather than turning their traditional camera designs into designs contrived by an electronics company. Sony and Minolta worked together on the Alpha models, but the latest models show that Sony was only using Minolta as a stepping stone and had their own plans to go their own way (the design of the NEX is akin to some of the Sony point-and-shoots).

If Sony kept the Minolta name they should respect the traditional Minolta designs. The fact that they didn't keep the name could show respect for the disintegrated company whom they didn't intend to honor in future designs.

I wonder though, if part of the reason for the decision to drop the Minolta name came from Sony's existing partnership with Zeiss which they had already with their video cameras, camcorders, and compact cameras?

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I know at least 5 persons who bought NEX bodies as a digital back for their legacy lenses. I think for MF glass NEX is better than Micro 4/3 (more convenient focusing with the 'peaking' mode and better FOV).

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I wonder if the MF glass crowd will be more interested in Ricoh's GXR now that they have the M mount module. It seems better optimized for legacy glass.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know about peaking being better than a high-res 1.44 million dot EVF... I can snap-to focus manually with the VF-2 better than I could with with DSLR viewfinders (I'm finding my images to contain more accurate manually focused action shots than ever). The NEX-7 might be the great equalizer, but before that the system lacked things like the EVF, hotshoe, etc. Peaking doesn't make up for those losses.

I'll take my PEN with VF-2 as a digital back for manual focus lenses over a NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-C3, or NEX-5N any day (though I'd be interested to try the new OLED EVF of the NEX-7).

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. I use my NEX for stills and my GH1 for video. I found the NEX to be far far far better for MF glass than I found my E-P1 or GH1. That's what confuses me about how the people complaing about the lack of lenses for the NEX. I have about 200 lenses that work just fine with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It's cool that people are excited to try legacy or new MF glass on these cameras, but if there were native/AF alternatives available, how many people would still be using the legacy options? I know there will still be some out there, but I think this is a smaller subset of the already small enthusiast subset of the camera market.

The difference with m4/3 is that you aren't *required* to adapt legacy glass - there are solid native options available.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't even need peaking. What Oly/Pany should do is have the green focus light go on if you're manual focusing and have your image in focus. With that alone, it's just as good as peaking and I'm guessing would be easier to implement.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, just like an AF Confirmation. :) But that would be the same technology as Peaking I would say, so you may as well just implement peaking, right? That will show the focus confirmation throughout the entire image and not limit you to the chosen focus point.

My E-PL2 (I think because of the combination of weaker AA filter and higher-res LCD over older models) shows shimmer patterns for in-focus areas where there are fine details. :) It works a lot like peaking, but more fine-tune accurate. Too bad it's not present all the time, lol.

13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think Nex is the best system for MF lenses presently due to better crop factor and better sensor. It's been shown that FF lenses perform better on APS-C than m43 sensors.

14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I use MF out of choice, not necessity. Even if there was an native lens equivalent, I would buy legacy due to the price difference alone. Pay $300 for a solid 50mm native or $30 for a legacy? I think many people would pay the $30 for legacy. I don't even bother with any of the native lenses. The kit lenses get used once or twice to make sure they work and then it's right back in the box where they sit pretty much forever. It' a matter of personal choice. Some drive stick, others automatic. Stick's more fun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I would get the Nex 7 with the Zeiss 25mm, and supplement with Legacy Lens if I had the extra cash, but (more importantly) let's see how it does "in the field" and after regular folks get thier hands on them... not the forum "pimps".

16. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I get the same thing with the G3 and the EP2.. kinda helpful, actually.

17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I like the stick versus automatic analogy, except that you could also choose paddle-shifters. They haven't had manual transmission in Formula One cars since the early 90s. :biggrin:

Maybe I came to late to the party, or don't know where to look, but it doesn't seem like there are a lot of outstanding legacy lenses in the bargain bins anymore.

I guess what I was trying to say is that there are fewer of the legacy/MF people out there, that's all.

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm dubious that this is related to the AA filter, as you're going to hit the resolution limit of your LCD before you hit the resolution limit of the sensor. It's probably introduced in the down-sampling process to display on LCD.

19. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    How do you know this? The camera isn't available yet.

I agree with :43: being matured.

20. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    You have 200 lenses? :eek: :thumbup: