1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rangefinder style – past its “use by?”

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Bill, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    [FONT=&quot]The GF1, GF2 (and even the GF3) aren’t shirt or pants pocketable. (Well, maybe in a coat pocket.) But, these and the other rangefinder/compact style cameras are “small-baggable.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]With the introduction of the G3 (also small-baggable), has the rangefinder style passed it’s “use by” date.[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If the mini SLR style of the G3 gets the size into the zone that we previously expected for “rangefinder styles,” then are we just working from nostalgia rather than utility? Since most of us aren’t able to afford Leicas, is it time to get over it and (as everyone likes to say today) move on?[/FONT]

• Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No idea, but I am only looking to buy the "rangefinder" style, though perhaps I'm past my "use by" date as well :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's more to rangefinders than that....

sorry... "Rangefinder style" terminology is annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Bill,

It's a pretty good point to ponder..

5. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Huh?

Are you talking about rangefinder cameras? Cameras like the X100 that look like rangefinder cameras and with a functional design? Or a compact camera like the E-P1 that is not a rangefinder?

I really don't understand why a rangefinder camera is now useless because many people cannot afford it. Nor do I understand why I cannot buy a camera because I am attracted to the design?

This is a straw-man argument.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I passed my "use by" date a long time ago.

I guess I better stick with my Pen, and not try one of those TokyoTechno-style Pannies!

-Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't really get your point. What rangefinder fits in a *shirt* pocket? The only digital rangefinder I could think of is an M series Leica - those certainly don't fit in a shirt pocket. Also the G3 is a G series slr styled camera. What does it have to do with a rangefinder style camera?

9. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I was originally attracted to m4/3 by the GF1, got one, then a G1 to go with it. I find myself mostly using the G1 due to the EVF, yet loving the look of the GF1.

Now the G3 comes along. If Panasonic can make the G3 about the size of a GF1, then they could make a rangefinder-looking camera compete with EVF, manual controls, etc.

Since the G3 is essentially the size of a rangefinder, then we must be mostly wanting the retro look in what would otherwise be a G3

• Like Like x 2
  10. usayit

Ok I give up....

What IS Rangefinder Style? Exactly how big/small is "Size of Rangefinder"?

11. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Rangefinder style? It's what everyone seems to want right now. Like an X100.

• Like Like x 1
  12. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    Range finder style is different from 70s SLR style? B/c that was my first impression of the EP1 and X100

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think the original poster is referring to a roughly brick-like shape (like the gf1 and E-P1.... and unlike the G3, GH1/2 and to a certain extent the E-PL1).

I have never felt it was about a reduction in size, but an aesthetic. Perhaps this analogy isn't perfect (and I'm CERTAIN that it's not the reasoning behind other people's personal choices), but it's a bit like my predeliction for station wagons. I need for my business to be able to haul stuff. In this day and age, most would buy an SUV or a minivan. Certainly they would do the job. But I learned to drive in an old station wagon, I like the lines. Perhaps they do the same thing, but why wouldn't I want the one that I find beautiful. I'll use it more often and derive simple pleasure from it's use.

Totally unrelated (or is it?) is that I also prefer a low slung mid-century designed sofa to an obviously more comfortable large overstuffed modern one (with a recliner) built in.

At least for me, part of the joy comes from the form and using something that was designed with my aesthetics in mind. There is nothing wrong with the other ones.....they will certainly do the job, but not while I'm at the helm.

So, in answer to the original query.....I will never "get over it" and move on.

And quite frankly, I hope they start making them a little bit bigger. There's plenty of cameras that fit in one's pockets, but I'm not interested in using any of them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    check out here.... Rangefinder

There's some good looking rangefinders. The 70s SLRs still had the silver and black aesthetic, but the hump for the the Through the lens mechanism shows up in the center.

And I LOVE that look.....but they're kind of screwed it up IMHO since plasticizing and rounding everything.

15. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Station wagons and mid-century furniture...you are clearly against the grain, sir!

16. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Ah, but the things you can do in the back of a station wagon...

Them young whippersnappers have no idea!

-Steve. iPad. Mu-43 App.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    If that's against the grain, I don't want to be with it.:wink:
    Oh.....and speaking of grain, bonus points if the station wagon has wood trim (or just decals):thumbup:

18. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Quite. Olympus XA? Fuji 690? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  19. usayit

So.....

A Fuji 6x9 is way too big.... even though it is a rangefinder

Or perhaps More like the size and shape of a Rollie 35... which is NOT a rangefinder

And handled and focused TTL like a Pentax 110 which is a freakin SLR...

But pocketable so even the Leica M rangefinder doesnt count

So essentally "Rangefinder Style" describes a small light tight box with a lens..... which pretty much describes a Kodak Brownie.

You are dup'd by a marketing guy who knows zilch about cameras.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No.
    Why? Just look at the sales of the Fuji X100