Range of 58mm Filters

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Adstars, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    OK, just got myself a new P12-35 f2.8, and will soon have the 35-100, so want to get a few filters to cover general use.

Had a number of filters in the past

Hoya ND filters NDX400 (9 stops) (very good)
    Panasonic variable polarising and 3 stop ND filters (all very good)
    Tiffen UV filters (terrible lens flare, would not recommend)

The thread size of the 12-35 is 58mm and the Panasonic branded filters are hard to come by.

Hoya has always been a good bet but I was wondering if I am missing a trick here and another brand would be better option for a particular type of filter. So I am looking for suggestions for the following

UV filter
    ND 3 stop
    ND 8 stop minimum
    Variable Polarising filter

2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    They're not cheap, but whenever I buy a filter that's not a B+W I regret it. Even the Sigma EX that I bought for my Sigma 19mm I don't like as much.
  3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Speaking of filters, I see that B&H has a B+W 58mm UV Black (403) Filter that blocks visible light, and passes UV A. Will this filter allow autofocus? Or must focusing be manual with the filter in place - in fact without visible light how do you focus with it at all?
  4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    You don't need UV filters shooting digital sensors. But nobody is going to stop you from using them to protect the front element of your lens. Unlike DSLRs, any filter allows for autofocus.

I would spend the most money on a polarizing filter. It's the most useful one.

There is really not much difference in terms of quality from the big name brands: B+W, Tiffen, Hoya, Marumi. But all of them have different lines of products. So make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com
  5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've been pretty pleased with these so far in terms of IQ-I have 46mm and 52mm for my various lenses.
    • Hoya NDX400 HMC 9-stop ND
    • B+W 3.0 ND110 10-stop ND
    • Hoya Pro1 Digital Circ Polarizer
    • B+W Digital Pro Series (UV and Polarizer) are decent quality
    The Hoya Digital Pro 1 series can be a pretty good 'bang for your buck' depending on the filter size/type.
  6. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Ok, thanks guys,

I opted to get a set of filters from B+W (i think they are a sure thing in terms of quality). Not cheap though, a UV, PL and two ND filters cost me roughly 250GBP.

Yes the UV filter is just there to protect the lens, I don't expect it to do anything else (just not adversely affect the image).
  7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    You either need to read my post more closely or go look at the B&H catalog page that talks about the 403 filter (try this link:
    B+W 403| B&H Photo Video )

This isn't your mother's UV/Haze filter...
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Wow, I didn't know these B+W 403 filters existed. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

I am just as dumbfounded about the auto focusing with these filters as you are. I have no idea how it would work, perhaps like IR converted cameras the camera can use the UV A light to auto focus?

Someone needs to buy one and report on their findings.
  9. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    I might get one, will need to check if a g5 sensor can take IR.
  10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I asked this question of Tony Sweet last Friday night and he said to focus and then install the filter - obviously on a tripod or stabilized in some way.
  11. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi I am about to get both the 12-35 and 35-100. I was hoping you might have some advice based upon your purchases on what's working well for you filter wise.
  12. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010

It can autofocus with that filter. It will need to be a very bright day, and you will want a tripod. it may take it a bit to auto focus. It passes UV and IR.

If you decide to focus before putting the filter on, you need to adjust for the difference in focal length (not sure that is the right term) as once you put the filter back on it will not be focused....

I will look to see what shots I have that I can post up using this prior to getting my E PM1 converted to full spectrum. Which makes it so I can put this and other IR filters on it and hand hold, if I want. It really works better on a full spectrum camera...in my opinion.