Randomly met another mu4/3s shooter on a plane yesterday

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by cucco, Jan 21, 2011.

1. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Just thought I'd share...
    I was on the plane back from San Diego yesterday and the woman seated beside me on the plane unpacked a camera from her carry on bag. I was delighted to see that it was (IIRC) a GF1. Attached to the front was the venerable 20/1.7. We had a pleasant, albeit short conversation about photography, the mu4/3s systems and so on.

Up to this point, that's the only other encounter I've had with a 4/3s shooter. Just a random thought that I found interesting...

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Jeremy! Sometimes this kind of thing happens to me quite often, but with MINI Coopers (I drive one)...though certainly not on a plane.:wink:

These pleasant, unplanned moments are nice counterpoints, aren't they.:2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    If she signs up on the forum, you get the official MU-43 recruiters badge.
    You'd be surprised how many m4/3 shooters are out there in space....
    Myself included...
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    What are the chances?

I've only run into one other person with an "EVIL m43" in the states.

He was an older Japanese tourist in Las Vegas shooting an EPL1 with his kit lens. I pointed at his camera and gave him a thumbs up.

He replied in broken english "Ooh, I waan datz 20 meleh meterz Lumeeex!"
    • Like Like x 2
  6. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
  7. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I had someone stop me the first day I went out with my GF1 at a market, asking what I thought about IQ on m4/3, as he was cosidering buying one, but as it was my first day could only give my impressions on the handling, which was all positive.
    That was 8 months ago, to to tell the truth, I never seen another person using m4/3. especially when they say m4/3 take about 40% of the market on new sale
  8. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Happened to me only once. I was on Times Square and one old guy approached me when he saw I was shooting with my G1. Had a nice short chat about lens for m43 :)
  9. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    Two good friends of mine (who don't know each other) got M43 cameras before I did. One bought an E-P1 as her first interchangeable-lens camera, and the other bought a GH1 for the video function even though he was previously a Nikon stills shooter.

But I don't think I've ever seen M43 "in the wild" being used by someone I don't know.
  10. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    That’s a wonderful experience.
    When using a product that felt so niche (in meaning that you never seen anyone else using it), seeing like mind brings a fuzzy feeling. Comrade! Something like that.

Never saw someone using m4/3 in the wild. The only time is when passing a local Olympus user gathering. Didn’t met any other even at the recent local GF2 press launch (other than the staffs, obviously)
  11. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Two days on Disney properties, and I've seen more DSLRs than Disney characters. But I've only seen one other m4/3 (an Olympus PEN), and even then I'm not 100% sure. I have not seen a Sony NEX, either.
  12. GregU

GregU Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    After 4 days at Disney, the number of Canon and Nikon DLSRs was unbelievable. At Epcot, there were some serious lenses being toted around.

Day 4 I saw my first Sony NEX, and as I was leaving my first confirmed m4/3, an Olympus PEN (I think E-P1) being carried by a young Japanese woman.