Random/Selling on craigslist head shaker

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Better that than agree to full price then start negotiating after you made the drive.

That happened to me one on the first times I used CL. Only a 20 minute drive but still annoying. I said "no", started to get back in my car, and the buyer quickly agreed to original price. He said "you can't blame me for trying". I said "yeah, I kind of can".

CL is so random that way. Curiously enough I had a LOT of luck selling/buying stuff on CL. A hassle to fish out honest buyer/seller but I think that's the way it is now. OfferUp is the same too :/ Still better than going to eBay I guess -

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some dude just pinged me from a CL ad for a lens, inviting me to drive the lens to him 80 miles away, and give him a discount off my asking.

Incredible!
I'm on the West Coast - if you will bring the lens out, I may be able to pay your asking price, less travel costs.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The only thing I've bought on CL is a Nissan Di466 flash. The seller's wife was making him sell it because she thought it would damage their baby's eyes. Paid $100 CDN because nobody wanted to buy a white-bodied flash. It works really well when I need it. Zero problem with the meeting or transaction.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Yeah... anywhere else it's buyer beware. On CL it sure is a case of seller beware.

Not too sure about that. Ebay is becoming a seller's nightmare of late. Had one guy message me and tell me that a lens he bought wasn't as "good" as he expected it to be due to light loss at edges and purple fringing. I referred him to the reviews, told him that the lens wasn't faulty and that it was a known characteristic. Three weks later and he decides to open a dispute. Ebay nearly always comes down on the side of the buyer and what the hell would ebay or paypal know about lens characteristics!

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
CL is a funny thing though as much as I might dislike it; my best gear selling experiences have been facilitated by CL. Meeting a fellow enthusiast for a coffee and chattering about gear and then selling the item to someone who will treasue it more than I is a nice experience.

But then there's all those low-balling denziens to wade through...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom