Random/Selling on craigslist head shaker

WT21

Super Moderator
Some dude just pinged me from a CL ad for a lens, inviting me to drive the lens to him 80 miles away, and give him a discount off my asking.

Incredible!

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Better that than agree to full price then start negotiating after you made the drive.

That happened to me one on the first times I used CL. Only a 20 minute drive but still annoying. I said "no", started to get back in my car, and the buyer quickly agreed to original price. He said "you can't blame me for trying". I said "yeah, I kind of can".

CL is so random that way. Curiously enough I had a LOT of luck selling/buying stuff on CL. A hassle to fish out honest buyer/seller but I think that's the way it is now. OfferUp is the same too :/ Still better than going to eBay I guess -

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Some dude just pinged me from a CL ad for a lens, inviting me to drive the lens to him 80 miles away, and give him a discount off my asking.

Incredible!
I'm on the West Coast - if you will bring the lens out, I may be able to pay your asking price, less travel costs.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
The only thing I've bought on CL is a Nissan Di466 flash. The seller's wife was making him sell it because she thought it would damage their baby's eyes. Paid $100 CDN because nobody wanted to buy a white-bodied flash. It works really well when I need it. Zero problem with the meeting or transaction.

Real Name
Greg
I stopped using Craigslist except for stuff that’s too big to ship. It’s just so much easier to put a box in the mail, especially if you have a scale and buy postage online.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Yeah... anywhere else it's buyer beware. On CL it sure is a case of seller beware.

Not too sure about that. Ebay is becoming a seller's nightmare of late. Had one guy message me and tell me that a lens he bought wasn't as "good" as he expected it to be due to light loss at edges and purple fringing. I referred him to the reviews, told him that the lens wasn't faulty and that it was a known characteristic. Three weks later and he decides to open a dispute. Ebay nearly always comes down on the side of the buyer and what the hell would ebay or paypal know about lens characteristics!

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
CL is a funny thing though as much as I might dislike it; my best gear selling experiences have been facilitated by CL. Meeting a fellow enthusiast for a coffee and chattering about gear and then selling the item to someone who will treasue it more than I is a nice experience.

But then there's all those low-balling denziens to wade through...

Real Name
Greg
I never had a problem on Craigslist and indeed I met some interesting characters. Ok I recall one shady guy with mold infested lenses. I just don’t like driving around 😀

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Not too sure about that. Ebay is becoming a seller's nightmare of late. Had one guy message me and tell me that a lens he bought wasn't as "good" as he expected it to be due to light loss at edges and purple fringing. I referred him to the reviews, told him that the lens wasn't faulty and that it was a known characteristic. Three weks later and he decides to open a dispute. Ebay nearly always comes down on the side of the buyer and what the hell would ebay or paypal know about lens characteristics!
Yeah I had a lens returned because it had a spec of dust in it that he found while shining flashlights through it. I asked if he tried taking pictures, but that was irrelevant to him. It was obnoxious, but I gave him his money back, ate shipping and then resold it to someone else that was reasonable.

But, with the 100s of easy and painless transactions I've had on ebay, I'm still way ahead of local classifieds. I think I'm at 1/100 rate of imbeciles on ebay vs 1/2 locally.

I swear the favorite "tactic" of buyers is to show up and pull "I know you said $100 but I only have $60".

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had a buyer BREAK my lens returning it because of shit packing. To make it more infuriating the buyer has sent me a photo he took of the lens out in the sunlight to show me some tiny spec of dust inside which proved he received the lens UN-broken. When I complained to eBay his bad packing ruined the lens he returned (complete with my photos showing the broken lens and his terrible packing), they still sided with him, the full amount refunded, and my lens was now unsaleable. Never again.

Craigslist is still my preferred method of selling anything. I don't blame Craigslist If you get a troubled transaction, it's the person not the marketplace. I have my own protocols for sales on craigslist. With my main one being the buyer always comes to pick up. No if and or butts. I clearly disclose in all my listings that the buyer must pick up in my city. No deliveries and will not meet people halfway. I've done that in the past only to be flaked on and had deliveries where the buyer simply changed their mind. My prices are always below ebay so if they're really interested, they'll make the drive and will still be cheaper and they'll have it in their hands the same day. I'll still have the occasional buyer wanting me to deliver and if it's not an inconvenience or too far, I tell them only if they pay a non-refundable delivery fee and it aint cheap by the way.
I used to offer to ship in craigslist ad's but I suppose people would take that as a scam so I stopped offering that in writing.

I swear the favorite "tactic" of buyers is to show up and pull "I know you said $100 but I only have $60".
I've had a few of those, not to such a high percentage discount but have had my fair share. I don't budge unless it's $5 on a low price or maybe $10 if the product is of high value.
I once sold a $10 item to a deadbeat and he arrived with $9 saying that's all he had and admitted he spent the other dollar on a drink. This dirtbag actually had the full amount but used a portion of "my" money prior to the sale to treat himself.

Another tactic lowsy buyers try to do is where lets say you're selling something for $100 and the buyer shows up and says: "so you said $80 right?" I'll follow up with something like: "no, it's actually $120". The buyer knows the correct price and knows I over inflated the price so they'll mention that the ad said $100. I'll reply with: "then why did you ask if you knew the correct price" makes them feel stupid each time 😂.

Last edited:

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Yeah, I told one guy there was an ATM just down the street when he only brought 3/4 of what I asked. He reluctantly used it and paid me what we already agreed (which was already 10% off asking price)

Another one that happened with me: Partial cash and remaining in Amazon/BestBuy gift cards that the person had collected possibly over last few years. In all honesty I would not have mind Amazon GC with something like $100 or more but these were literally a stack of $5 ones in different designs.

Edit : someone told me even if they were $100 gc, it would have been a lousy deal since a $100 gc is never worth $100 in cash. Aight then, don't do it folks.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom