1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Random Question: Any idea why Olympus discontinued the external battery pack FS-HV1 for flash?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TRCPhoto, Dec 29, 2014.

1. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I read in Michael Meissner's report on External flash systems that Olympus supports that Oly had an external battery pack at one time. A quick google search shows that only a handful are still available and they are more expensive the a new FL-50R. What gives? Anyone have any inside info as to why they stopped making this and if there is anything in the works to replace it?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have one and I guess they stopped making them because of low sales, most likely because of the cost. I still have no idea why they didn't make battery packs like Nikon/Canon have available for their flash units, which are smaller, much cheaper and use AA batteries.

• Like Like x 2
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Barry, I saw those in my searches and may pick one up soon. Honestly I'm still up in the air on an off camera light system.

Ray, I think you were the one who posted about the Oly battery pack in another thread that got me curious. I was hoping they could be found cheap on eBay or some such place, but boy was I wrong. Agree on the Canon style that takes AAs. I understand Cactus' new flash has a pack like that.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    They should have been smart, and used the same batteries the camera uses, BLM-1's (now BLM-5's).

• Like Like x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That Godox unit looks excellent, especially for the price, if it has the appropriate cable available. You could buy 10m of those for the price of one Olympus unit.

I just did an eBay check and no one lists one for the FL-50/50R.

7. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Interesting thread. I'd love to use one of those godox packs with my fl-50r, and my olympus twin flash. I emailed Godox to see if they know of any retailers still carrying the Oly cable, or if they had any left they could sell. Will report back what I find...

• Like Like x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Finding the cable is the problem. The connector for the FL-50/50R is unique and Quantum Instruments stopped making the CO5 cable. Earlier this year I found a company in England that had the cable for the SHV-1 and ordered two of those. I still have to have the SHV-1 and Quantum cables (for the Turbo batteries)combined to make me four new cables.

It would be great if Olympus came out with a AA battery add on pack like Nikons. But even at that, I use the Turbo batteries with Nikon speedlights as well.

10. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Through this forum I followed a link to Al Jacobs' site. What a character, I kind of like him. I'm intrigued by his Black Box and Tuxedo power packs. I'm not interested in faster recycling, just illuminating the need to change batteries during an event.

Clint: He has an interesting aside regarding cables and offers to modify cables free with purchase of his battery packs. I'm guessing he would do it for a fee if not buying a battery...

11. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    I bought this for use with my Metz flashes which I love. Works with the new Metz 64 and my older 58. Connects perfectly to my Quantum and Lumedynes too.

Godox PB820/PB960 External Flash Battery Pack Cable for Metz
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGLTFXI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I'd get another Metz 64 before I try to chase down an FL50R, I'm one of those with a FL600 that has the head that I can no longer rotate. Out of warranty.

12. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Are you using an Olympus system? How do you like the TTL / Remote TTL? I'm a converting Canon guy, so not used to the "line of sight" stuff Nikon shooters seem to be happy to put up with.

I did some research and was thinking of getting 2 Metz 52s for on camera triggering of 2 or 3 Metz 64s. I went to the recent PDN trade show in NYC and tried to chat with some Olympus "experts" about my thoughts (that experience is worthy of another thread.) and when I found a sales guy who actually seemed to shoot for a living/part-time he said that "Olympus had given their TTL codes to Metz" and would work flawlessly with my E-M1 and E-M5. So I trek over to the Metz display and was impressed to find several of the actual engineers from Germany there. I asked about the sharing of the TTL codes and he laughed and looked at me like I'd been sent on a snipe hunt. He did say they were putting the finishing touches on compatibility and I just did a quick visit to the Metz website and they are actively promoting the M43 compatibility with Oly/Pana/Leica...