Ran in to a bunch of teachers today...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ijm5012, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    over at DPR, and boy am I ever glad I did. Had I not, I never would've known what a joke m43 cameras are, how everything is overpriced, and that the system is on its last legs.

The one thing that I am still waiting to get a response back from any of them about is where I can get a FF camera for $1,700 that shoots 4k 60fps and 1080p 180fps video, has a viewfinder with 0.83x magnification, 6.5 stops of IBIS, can shoot 80MP still images, and 20fps bursts with AF-C without any viewfinder blackout.

They kept telling me how I could get a FF camera for $1,700, but none of them told me which one has all of those features. Oh well, maybe they'll respond to me tomorrow...

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    There's the problem.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    I check out DPR but I've never bothered signing up. Most threads turn into a pissing contest, and it's rife with the condescension you describe. There are occasional nuggets informative comments, but this forum has a much more positive vibe. Amin has a pretty good thing here.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Oh, I'm aware, haha. I knew what I was getting in to by visiting over there. I swear that Sony fanboys have nothing better to do with their time than attempt to educate us about why their system is superior. It's like they literally sit and scour the m43 forum, jumping at any opportunity they can to impart their wisdom on us lesser human beings.

I also hate their forums because their notification system is complete shit. No notifications when somebody quotes you, page after page of posts where there are 10 quoted posts before you actually get to the message that somebody was attempting to post. It's a complete shit-show over there. I find Fred Miranda to be much more tolerable as a multi-system website, but the m43 forum is pretty quiet over there. The vocal majority are E-M1 II users, and I've seen some of them sell off their camera after having it not live up to their expectations based on the pre-launch hype the camera generated. Fortunately, we have a good group of folks here and the site is pretty active.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    There are also some great posts at 43rumors telling you that a 200mm f2.8 only has the DOF of a 400mm f5.6. However it seems that most people seem to have never shot a long tele lens and realised that even f5.6 on mu43 is often too shallow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I was never disappointed with the DoF the 100-300 would generate at longer focal lengths.

One of the biggest reasons you need fast apertures on supertelephoto lenses is not for the thin DoF, but rather to keep your shutter speed up. While OIS/IBIS helps somewhat in this regard, if you want truly sharp shots out of telephoto lenses, you're far better to keep your shutter speed fast than you are to rely on stabilization. That's one of the benefits of this lens, is that you get FF f/5.6 DoF so achieving critical focus isn't as difficult, but you get the benefit of f/2.8 shutter speeds.

As for the DoF, this was shot with the 150/2 SHG with the EC-14 attached, making it a 210mm f/2.8 (close enough IMO). In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the DoF this image has.

34047231902_72076c7c43_b.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    Well the lions face is fully in focus, obviously you should have used a FF so that only half his nose was. :p

Honestly, the DPR denziens are just defending their ever failing value proposition. Really the only things left to them are 'total light' :rolleyes: and super shallow dof portraiture. Considering portrait pros stop down to f/2.8 anyways, m43 is just fine for that too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Inferior cameras with filthy inferior sensors need to be collected and destroyed. Their users are clearly mental filth with something wrong with them for actively willing to use them when such superior sensors exist. Superior sensor users are clearly superior individuals with superior skill. Know your place, untersensor user. Microgentillia Four Turds must be exterminated for the reign of the superior FULL frame way of FULL life. We will have our laborer class APS-C do our deeds of exterminating you. All our collective workers will have a D600 in every hand! Equivalence will crush you and bury you. The Framist Ideology will rule supreme.

At least on DPR.

Do I really need to put /s down when I'm mentally restating the stupid drivel in a semi-parody and semi-reality (of what they way) these types put out?

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Why bring the stench of DPR here?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I shoot FF and M43, sometimes I'm just lazy and want bring my M43 gear, because it's light weight, sharp and fast! Not everything has to be FF all the time. I know what areas that FF shines in, but it's not for everything especially when you take into account gear size and weight. Now if only M43 got that C-AF optimized...o_O:D

Pen-F and 40-150mm 2.8:
    35873046014_c09741f95a_b.
    2017_NISEI_PARADE_LA
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

E-M1 and 12-32mm:
    35135562684_e6674c6833_b.
    170716_BODYWORLD_FRIOLO_041
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

E-M5II and 75mm 1.8:
    32564268262_289a076478_b.
    170204_CHINATOWN_PARADE_FRIOLO_036
    by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr​

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I had an account over there for years, but I had it deleted since all it was ever good for was getting into arguments, and I realized I was wasting a lot of time there.

Also, the street photo forum there was filled with utter snobs who derided anybody new and spent their time praising each other's tired work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    Peer reviewed by true academics of photography. Much like some landscape circles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    Over at DPR it does seem a bit “stormy” today. Things seem far more relaxed here.

But to be honest I do like the weekly photo thread there on the M43 forum and most of the time it is not as bad as some have said above. There are some interesting people there and one gets a lot of feedback quite quickly. It gets stormy and stupid when there is an important new camera or lens announcement it would seem.

The problem is that the M43 forum there gets a lot of “visits” from people who do not own and are not interested in owning M43 gear.

For example, that prize idiot “Great Bustard” who loves to lecture and browbeat on “equivalency”, whatever that might be and incredibly is the top poster over there at the moment according to the statistics. He does not even own a M43 camera and never will. Why he has never been permanently banned escapes me. He and his merry men are experts in stirring up trouble.

However, all the idiocy is made up for with the people who frequent the weekly photo thread, where things are very civil and I get some good feedback on my photo’s at times.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    Equivalence/Framist Nazis. They'll scream about how you're inferior to them and how they are superior over you. How your systems need to drop dead for them because it would be an insult for them to kill your system off. Just like real Nazis.

16. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I once posted some pictures to what I call the "Poor pictures of poor people" forum. Zero response from that very clannish little corner.

The landscape forum is not much better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Any chance of links to dpr forum threads where I can be teached why to burn my gear? :)

18. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    My buddy shoots FF Nikon, but won't go any where near DPR. He will tell anyone who will listen that, "it's full of gear strokers with tinny 3rd leg syndrome".

I started out there, and I'm never going back, every other member seemed like a raging a-hole.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. dougj

dougj New to Mu-43

May 22, 2017
    I think the DPR comment section is for entertainment purposes only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I must be a complete a$$ because I shoot medium format film, instax cameras, 135, APS-C, m43 and have a camera or 2 with sub 1" sensors.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the formats...I just may be an a$$. :D

• Funny Funny x 3