Rambo - The Dog with an Unusual Hobby ;)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I had an interesting gig a few weeks ago since it's not every day that you get to shoot a dog with an unusual hobby - or should I say passion? Rambo (an 8-year-old staffie) was visibly anxious (shaking and crying) when I first saw him but it all changed in a heartbeat once he got his skateboard(!) on the ground in front of him! The joy he felt when jumping on his board was genuine. I was lucky to see and capture that with my camera. :)

All the photos below were taken with my E-M5III which took control of the situation right from the beginning. Boy was I pleased with its performance! It was my first true test with the AF-C and I think I got the best photo of the photo shoot from the very first or second proper "roll" (after I had taken the test shots for exposing etc.). I could have packed my bags after the first few minutes and left home perfectly happy because I had the shot I wanted. For some reason I decided to stay and shoot more. :D :D :D

So... E-M5III was used for all the photos and Oly 40-150mm f/2.8 was on it for the most parts. I did shoot one scene with the wider 12-40mm f/2.8 because the longer lens would have been too long. I did drag LEDs, flashes, softboxes and reflectors with me but never used them. The sun was pretty harsh in some shots but using any kind of equipment for controlling the lighting would have made things far too complicated in those circumstances and I trusted the dynamic range of the E-M5III would suffice. And it did. Some of the photos do have harsh shadows but compromises are part of the game, eh?

Anyway, some photos from the session:

49925606088_55a97d2b6e_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518362-2 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
So... This is THE photo. It even might have been the very first proper picture I took that day as it looks like it could be the first of the ~1 second burst of shots I took. I could have easily called it a day and left. :)

49932617023_f699c20138_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518414 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49933133326_eb8b87cfa2_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518428 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
For some reason a Limp Bizkit song started playing on my head when looking at this photo (link to the video)

49938278831_a776e943dc_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518472 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
I wanted to take some photos that showed the movement too but we got interrupted by some construction guys who had to "evict" us from our spot. I didn't have time to find the optimal shutter speed for getting the balance of movement/sharpness so I had to resort to Photoshop and add motion blur there. Not proud and not happy with the results either. At least I have a reason to do another session with Rambo.

49937765528_14dba1ca39_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518493 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49940415168_907f7b0fc4_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518520 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49940415133_4a494de974_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518561 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49944728817_94bab48167_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518594 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49944728787_fe6c6e74fa_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518599 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

Rambo started to get tired so we switched to static portraits.

49947700322_6b290ebc3d_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518721 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49946912148_be07cf7d85_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - xEM518931_sepia by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49950937866_19440e6fc6_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518943 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

49951231887_dcbfe02626_h.jpg Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518960 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed these. At least I did enjoy the photo shoot and hopefully will be shooting him again later this summer.

Last edited:

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
what an amazing dog! You got some great shots there. You can see how intent Rambo is with his board. Now I want to see video of this pup shredding up the half-pipe.

thanks for sharing these. :)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
what an amazing dog! You got some great shots there. You can see how intent Rambo is with his board. Now I want to see video of this pup shredding up the half-pipe.

thanks for sharing these. :)
Cheers! Yeah, it's pretty obvious that he really enjoys his hobby. Next time I'll grab some video as well!

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
I had an interesting gig a few weeks ago since it's not every day that you get to shoot a dog with an unusual hobby - or should I say passion? Rambo (an 8-year-old staffie) was visibly anxious (shaking and crying) when I first saw him but it all changed in a heartbeat once he got his skateboard(!) on the ground in front of him! The joy he felt when jumping on his board was genuine. I was lucky to see and capture that with my camera. :)

All the photos below were taken with my E-M5III which took control of the situation right from the beginning. Boy was I pleased with its performance! It was my first true test with the AF-C and I think I got the best photo of the photo shoot from the very first or second proper "roll" (after I had taken the test shots for exposing etc.). I could have packed my bags after the first few minutes and left home perfectly happy because I had the shot I wanted. For some reason I decided to stay and shoot more. :D :D :D

So... E-M5III was used for all the photos and Oly 40-150mm f/2.8 was on it for the most parts. I did shoot one scene with the wider 12-40mm f/2.8 because the longer lens would have been too long. I did drag LEDs, flashes, softboxes and reflectors with me but never used them. The sun was pretty harsh in some shots but using any kind of equipment for controlling the lighting would have made things far too complicated in those circumstances and I trusted the dynamic range of the E-M5III would suffice. And it did. Some of the photos do have harsh shadows but compromises are part of the game, eh?

Anyway, some photos from the session:

View attachment 830285Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518362-2 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
So... This is THE photo. It even might have been the very first proper picture I took that day as it looks like it could be the first of the ~1 second burst of shots I took. I could have easily called it a day and left. :)

View attachment 830286Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518414 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830287Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518428 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
For some reason a Limp Bizkit song started playing on my head when looking at this photo (link to the video)

View attachment 830288Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518472 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr
I wanted to take some photos that showed the movement too but we got interrupted by some construction guys who had to "evict" us from our spot. I didn't have time to find the optimal shutter speed for getting the balance of movement/sharpness so I had to resort to Photoshop and add motion blur there. Not proud and not happy with the results either. At least I have a reason to do another session with Rambo.

View attachment 830289Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518493 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830290Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518520 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830291Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518561 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830292Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518594 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830293Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518599 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

Rambo started to get tired so we switched to static portraits.

View attachment 830294Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518721 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830295Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - xEM518931_sepia by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830296Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518943 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

View attachment 830297Rambo - #skeittaavakoira - EM518960 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed these. At least I did enjoy the photo shoot and hopefully will be shooting him again later this summer.
Wow!
What an incredible dog!

The photos are very good.
I like the viewpoints you've chose.
Congratulations!

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
We have a Staffordshire Terrier named Pete. He was rescued from a shelter and was advertised as a chihuahua. There was no way this was a Chihuahua but he had an ear that drooped, a crooked but always wagging tail, and had one canine tooth which was missing and we were told he was harassed and kicked by kids. He has become one of the best boys we have ever had. Loveable, semi trusting toward kids and a character who loves to run flat out. He is more black than this staffie but is brindled on his legs and underside. Love him very much.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Auto Focus - Canine?
Ahhh, so THAT is what it really means. It all makes sense now. :laugh1:

Wow!
What an incredible dog!

The photos are very good.
I like the viewpoints you've chose.
Congratulations!
Thank you! Here's one example of how I got those viewpoints... At times I was lying on my stomach on the floor too. :D

Attachments

Walter

Mu-43 All-Pro
Another of these absolutely stunning Teemu-series.
No matter what you shoot, it's great stuff.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom