1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Radioactive? Here's a list.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by digitalandfilm, Aug 17, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Just make sure you don't carry them in your front pocket. :)

I used to have a housemate who had working in the mining industry out west. He had a "souvenir": a chunk of uranium ore wrapped in two layers of lead, each layer about 1/8" thick. He figured it was safe wrapped in lead, and it wasn't in my room, so I didn't really worry about it.

After maybe 8 or 10 years of taking this from place to place, he mentioned it to his boss. His boss, it happened, owned a Geiger counter. So Jim took the package to work, his boss brought in the counter, and they checked it. From a distance of a few inches it pegged the needle on the meter! Even from a couple of feet it read very strong.

He doesn't have that "souvenir" any more. :) (I don't remember how they got rid of it, but I do recall they looked into the proper way to dispose of it.)

3. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Lenses with Thorium can actually turn quite yellow over the years.

Simply expose it to UV .... out in the sun, and the lens becomes crystal clear again.

Of course it takes a while.

It took 14 days in Dallas Texas Sun to deoxidize a few old Takumar 50mm f1.4 lenses.

I wrapped the rear part of the lens in aluminum foil then left it outside in the sun.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    No need to use the sun to deyellow a lens :biggrin:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CAaSgK6WsE]Removing Yellow Tint in My Super Takumar Lens - Old Skeeter - YouTube[/ame]

5. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    LOL holy moly Santa Clause lives in Florida now and is a photog!! And does Youtube instruction videos and can't pronounce Takumar properly !! :biggrin:

My buddy actually used a UV lamp with success.. I would think tanning bed would work as well.

I used "Sun" because it doesn't require "energy" nor a lamp...

6. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    We've got a UV curing oven at work, figure it would probably work nicely as de-yellower. Basically a tiny tanning bed for a resin/laser based rapid prototyper.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Nice to know that all of my lenses are clean. :biggrin: