1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Radio triggers with E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by yendikeno, Feb 10, 2016.

1. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Have seen a number of queries on photo forums about the use of flash triggers with the E-M1. On one forum, a respondent went through a modification needed to make them work, which included opening the triggers, cutting wires, and re-soldering.

Well, I can tell you for certain that the two sets of Yongnuo flash triggers I have work well, without any mods. They are the RF-603C II (for Canon), and RF-603N II (for Nikon).

In theory, the only difference is supposed to be a supplied cable for, I believe, shutter release, but I have never used the cable. There is a subtle difference in the pin layout on the bottom of the triggers, but both versions still trigger an external flash with the E-M1, 100% of the time, with no issues whatsoever . Hope this helps someone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I have a set of Photix for Nikon and they work fine as well.

3. specialagenttuna

specialagenttuna Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Which ones? The stratos? Ares? Apparently everyone is a natural light or on camera flash photographer and getting info about working remote triggers just doesn't exist online except for "maybe" or "I think it should" and soldering connections on a 603. I have a GX8 and I saw someone with a yongnuo 560-tx on top of one on a Facebook page so I ordered one. Hoping it'll work. From what I understand, it will trigger the 603s but can't remotely control exposure. A Phottix trigger would be ideal because my Indra500 has a receiver built in so I wouldn't need to buy anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. pogipoints

pogipoints Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2015
    Neil M
    I'm currently using the 560tx on an EM1, syncs up to 1/320. All manual of course.
    I also use a modded RF603CII without any issues.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Mu-43 mobile app

5. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I use the Cactus v6 on my e-m5ii with no issues but it is also full manual.

I like this system as I can use a ttl flash like my FL-600r on the Cactus hot shoe and have both ttl on camera with manual off camera flash and then turn on, off and adjust all from the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Almost any radio trigger should work, just in manual and no high speed sync. If the on camera radio sync is compatible with the flash units you may get remote power adjustment as well.

(Added - On the E-3, E-5, E-30, E-410, E-620, OM-D E-M5, and OM-D E-M1)
    I’ve used
    • Quantum qFlash & radio syncs,
    • Radio Popper Nano’s, Radio Popper JrX, and with RPCube JrXs can remotely control the power output of TTL-capable Canon or Nikon compatible Speedlight’s
    • Paul Buff CyberSyncs
    • Pocket Wizard Plus II, X, and Plus III. With the PocketWizards and the correct shutter release cable, you remotely fire the camera with a PocketWizrd on the camera which will in turn fire and synch remote flash units. Most other systems will require one receiver for the shutter release and a transceiver to fire the remote flashes.
    With all Olympus 4/3s or m4/3s flash units you’ll also need an sync adapter for the flash units as none of them have a sync port.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  7. specialagenttuna

Apr 19, 2013
    Sure in theory. My yongnuo 603 triggers have worked on pretty much every brand of camera I've used (Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Fuji) but with the GX8 no luck (and I'm not the only one). That's why I am skeptical of buying something unless I know for sure it'll work. I totally understand I won't get TTL or HSS, just wanted something that will trigger without soldering connections and hoping that won't cause issues later.

8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Yongnuo RF-605 N works too, and has group function, except that feature only works as a receiver, not transmitter. On TX mode it will trigger everything regardless. So, basically it can't replace the 560TX if you need grouping. E.g.:

Scenario 1. Normal people.
    On the hotshoe TX: 560TX group A (only)
    - 560 III on RX mode group A = OK
    - 560 IV on RX mode group F = nothing
    - (Whatever flash) on RF 605 on TRX mode on group A = OK
    - (Whatever flash) on RF 60x on RX mode on group A = OK
    - (Whatever flash) on RF 605 on TRX mode on group D = nothing

Scenario 2. Puzzled cheapskate.
    On the hotshoe TX: RF 605 on TX mode group A (only)
    - 560 III on RX mode group A = OK
    - 560 IV on RX mode group F = OK (???)
    - (Whatever flash) on RF 605 on TRX mode group A = OK
    - (Whatever flash) on RF 60x on RX mode Group C = OK (What the..)
    - (Crazy bit) it'll also triggers a nearby 560TX* = OK.

* So you can use a RF 605 as a wireless cable release like so:
    22797699059_358a3d5822_o.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Stratos.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just to add to the "database", I bought this Neewer branded trigger set...
    http://amzn.com/B00A47U22U

which works fine with my E-M1 and my FL-50 & FL-26 flashes.

11. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use Cactus V5's with my em1...they fire my strobes (Novatron) and my FL-36/36R/600 with no issues...full manual of course.

12. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    I used the Phottix Stratos II Canon version when I had an E-M1 and they worked well.

13. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    The pocket wizard Plus X work great. I use them all the time.

14. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    For just triggers, I've used the Cactus V5s, but I'm starting to switch over my off camera lighting to the Godox/Flashpoint/Newer/(insert other name here). The idea of portable 300ws strobes (AD360) that use the same remote system as normal speedlights (V850s) was just all too tempting.

15. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Btw, anyone else notice that the newer camera bodies have an extra electric contact point in the hotshoe? I haven't seen any flashes yet with the extra pin. Maybe a sign of something to come in the future?

16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, There was a new external Oly flash with one of the recent models that isn't compatible with older models. That's probably why.

Barry

17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Radio Popper JrX system user here and they have worked on everything I've thrown them on: Nikon, Fuji, Olympus. No mods required.

18. specialagenttuna

Apr 19, 2013
    Just received my Yongnuo YN560-tx today. It works on my GX8 talking to a Yongnuo rf603c II. I tested it with it attached to a flash and also to an Indra500 using a PC sync cord between the strobe and back of rf603c II.

19. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Sure glad everyone chimed in with all this good information. Thanks!