1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Radio Triggers for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by skellington, Jun 14, 2016.

1. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    So I've got both a Panasonic G5, and Olympus E-M1.

For flashes, I have the FL-600R, FL-300R, and 2 Promaster 7500EDFs (recently acquired for $20 each thanks to the Hot Deals forum), plus the FL-LM2 and the built in flash on the G5.

Time for some radio triggers, I think! 1 Trigger and 2 Receivers (or 3 transceivers.)

The FlashQ's look like a good mate for the general mu43 concept of cost effective, small and functional. But of course, no remote power control, etc.

Cactus V6 is the only one I see that probably supports remote power adjustment, which might be nice. But a set of 3 costs more than a Yungnuo trigger, and 2 remote controllable flashes!

Any suggestions? Anything to avoid?

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    My first question is why do you think you need radio triggers? You have a number of flashes but no details of what you normally shoot or want to shoot. Some of the flashes already support remote operation. So what is it you don't currently have that you need now? Are you really going to be in shooting situations where you need remote power control because you can't simply step over and adjust the flash directly?

Not that there is anything wrong with radio triggers, I use a set myself but then my flashes don't support remote mode so I have to use triggers for off camera use. But so far your post seems like a "I have a collection of gear and now I think I need some more gear to compliment my current gear" but no details of what you are actually trying to do or achieve photographically.

3. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    RC mode works just fine on Olympus. You might consider radio trigger for faster/easier adjustments or working outdor in bright sunlight.
    I know some professional photographers, working in studio same way, triggering everything else with the pop up Flash.

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

4. skellington

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Mostly I want to set up a small home (or occasionally travelling) studio to experiment systematically with flash / light modifiers / studio style photography of (mostly) people. One outside use would be to set up a small "photo booth" for people to get decent quality photos at various events I attend. (i.e. dressed up for swing dances.)

So that was the intent of buying the Promasters. And running cords to multiple flashes (that you might be moving around) sounds like a big hassle. And optically triggered gets a bad rap; plus wireless looks relatively cheap and more reliable.

I've been to a couple of local events with some fancy setups with professional studio lights and pocket wizard triggers, but they seem like overkill.

Given one or two lights, it doesn't seem like manually adjusting them will be a big deal (but the remote control on the professional stuff was very convenient.)

But I really have no idea, and am just starting to explore this corner of photography. And I'd rather not waste the money on a something that will just make things more difficult or need immediately replacing if I go further down this path.

5. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    Then i would highly advise you not to buy any triggers yet - you already have a light trigger/adjustment System inside your camera to explore.
    Try it out, and find out, in which Way is the System limiting you.

I'm schooting indoors 99% of the time using 2-3 flashes. Just point the Flash Sensors towards your camera or cealing, or Walls, whatever Transport the Signal towards them better. Turn the rc Mode On both camera and flashes, and voilĂ  - you have ttl/hss/Manual from your camera.

I have the cute Flash from E-M5ii, and use it mostly to bounce of the sealing. In 90-95% flashes trigger - i need to be really funky positioning flashes, so they don't get the Signal.

Since Olympus flashes aren't that powerfull, you won't be positioning them too far away from your Model, in order to get some nice soft light(the nearer to the object, and the bigger the softbox, the softer the light).

If you want to hide the whole equipment and make it like real photobooth, then Yeah - Radio trigger. Make sure it Supports ttl/hss, elsewise you make it just more complicated.

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app

6. skellington

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Unfortunately, the G5 was one of the last cameras to not support the remote flash control.

Do any of the radio triggers support ttl/hss for Panasonic/Olympus? I am not seeing them advertised.