1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Radian: a motion time-lapse device

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dtchan, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Hi,

I just saw this cool accessory for timelapse videos. It is currently a kickstarter project. It connects to android or iphone to control the device. I ordered a black charcoal one for myself.

Description from the project:
    Ultra-simple and ultra-affordable. Feature rich. Pans AND tilts. The best way to create beautiful time lapses with your camera.

Radian is a remarkably powerful, yet wonderfully simple solution that lets you take incredible moving time-lapses with just a few swipes of your iOS or Android device. It's small, rugged, and can handle anything you throw at it. It can rotate side-to-side. It can tilt up and down. It can dynamically speed up and slow down. It can change exposure to capture sunrise to sunset.* You name it. With our app, the sky is the limit.

855568a97629e2d554805487db4c56a5_large.

Anyways, here is the link for those who are interested.
    Radian: a motion time-lapse device for everyone. by Kris Cheng — Kickstarter

• Like Like x 6
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Interesting.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I hope they make it happen. Looks good.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Interesting concept. More interesting that they are asking potential buyers to help fund the project itself, but what if they don't get to 1,250 pre-orders? Do buyers get a refund, or will the money have gone into tooling already? Also, what if the quality of the mass produced product is not up to acceptable standard? :confused:

5. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    This reminds me strongly of the Purus Astro Clock, a 1970s mechanical clockwork based device for astrophotography:

purus_kl.

Of course the Purus was limited to exactly one rotation per day :wink:

6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
  7. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Yah you only get charged if the project does reach its required funding. Here is a faq.

Backers » Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) — Kickstarter

• Like Like x 1
  8. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Yah I saw that one too..... They are both similar in that they are trying to do the same thing. I'm not 100% sure which one is better either. Seems like the Radian have the option to tilt up whereas the Astro currently don't seem to be able to do it. Astro uses AA battery vs Radian uses a rechargeble one + able to connect to external usb battery pack. Difficult to decide.

9. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    It probably could but it doesn't seem to have been tested for such use, and the designed won't be selling an L-bracket for vertical panning. If you look at the Radian's maximum load for vertical pans, it is far less than for horizontal use. It would probably be fine with small cameras like ours, just not the likes of a 5d or whatever.

I'm wondering how they communicate with the smartphones. Neither page seems to say.

10. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    +1, in their quest for portability they were silly enough not to include counterweights. With larger lenses anything but a horizontal pan may be too much for the motors to handle.

11. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    It shows in the video, at least for the Radiant. You connect a cable from the device to the iphone and then you run the application. I would have preferred wifi or bluetooth but I think that would jack up the cost.

I'm thinking our system and lens are so light and compact, that this would be fine. Not too sure about the larger dslrs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    Interesting. I just might give it a shot.

13. krisbesmart

krisbesmart New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm Kris - one of the people behind Radian.

To answer your questions - for tilt, we have not yet tested its full limits. It does however fully supports a canon 5dmIII with a 16-35mm lens, and also a battery grip. You can see the footage it took with that setup in the video. We figure 99% of users will never exceed this weight, so we have not yet tried to push its weight limits, but we will be doing so shortly.

dtchan hit the spot on how we communicate. You connect your smartphone to the Radian via a standard audio cable, and upload your settings. You can then unplug your phone and let the Radian do its thing. We are currently looking into bluetooth, but it would certainly increase the cost a non-trivial amount.

I'd also like to point out another difference between our products (astro vs radian) - Radian has a much higher angular resolution, meaning you can make very, very small movements between shots. This is because our motor is beefier and has higher torque, as well as a very high gear ratio.

As for the concern about mass manufacturing - we are rooted in silicon valley and have the benefit of having experienced consultants who have thorough experience in the manufacturing process, as well as a very capable team of Stanford grads. If we reach our fundraising goal, we will deliver!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

cheers,
    Kris

14. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Great thread. I really wanted to back the genie device but it was Too large and expensive for my needs.

15. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    This would be nice... one less cable to bring.

I have a question... I know this is target for timelapse, but is the radian capable of just doing a continuous smooth turn?

Thanks

16. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Wouldn't really large lenses include their own tripod mount anyway, and you could use that instead? But yeah, I would be very of putting a lot of glass on this thing anyway, given that the stress is going directly on the motor.

17. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    looks like a fun toy for me!.