Racing Day - V8 CLIPSAL500 - lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oto02, Mar 2, 2013.

1. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Hi all,

I got a ticket to the V8 racing for Sunday, privileged to get a corporate ticket into the track with three unobstructed corners.

The big question is what lenses to bring?

PM-2 & PM-1

PL25mm 1.7
    Oly 45mm 1.8
    Panny 100-300mm 4.5-5.6
    Panny 14-45mm 4.5-5.6

Should I bother to get my "dusty old" E-3 with legendary 14-54mm and 50-200mm?

Last question, any recommended setting for these fast cars? (possible to shot through that mesh fence, or not -, I'll log on with my phone and tell you)

Thanks and keep you posted.
  2. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Thanks a lot for your great support. Next time, l'll keep in mind to post with a title more appealing, ie: "OMD plus Oly 75mm give away"
  3. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    In all seriousness, why not take them all? Once there, you can try them out and see which works best. Your question is a tough one to answer without having been there myself. Again, get a good gadget bag and take them all.
  4. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    With respect it would have been better to post this in the lens forum. I shoot motorsport but I don't own an Oly body, so rarely (if ever) look in this forum, I just happened to notice it in the 'recent threads'. The thread title is also a little unclear, I only worked out it was probably motorsport related by the 'V8' in the title.

I would suggest the 45mm and 100-300mm, in fact I shoot motorsport with these two lens on a regular basis, they make a great combo.

As for shooting tips...Motorsport Shooting Guide | Chris Harrison Photography
  5. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Tele for all!

Sorry I missed your post, I was too busy watching Channel 7 showing the "Clipsal 500". But my experience with motorsport is that you can never have enough "tele" lenses. So I'd take the 100-300. Anyway, how come you didn't post this earlier, then many could have replied.
  6. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Mu-43 Regular

hi oto, beautiful day to be in Adelaide.

Hope you got some good shots of the race.
    I've been to the Fringe festival a few times now, that's always good for finding interesting subjects!
  7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I will be anxious to see your images. Here in the USA the racing venues are getting more and more difficult access track positions to get good pictures because of (1) lawsuit-crazy fans, (2) paranoid venue owners, and (3) greedy periodicals. Unless you have sponsorship/sanctioning from the racing sanctions or periodicals, it is almost impossible to get to good vantage points.

I'm sure that there are many that would disagree with me, but I don't like shooting through chain-link fences, and there are more and more of them and they are getting higher and higher! It is so bad that I have almost given up on it.
  8. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Agreed. It's easier to get a good shot by taking the pic off my HD TV!:wink:
  9. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    It's the same here, safety obsession... Those mesh fences, block your clean cut view of the cars.
    I used all my lenses but mostly 100-300 one.

Not that many cars in these pics...

CLIPSAL 2013 - Oto's Photos | SmugMug