1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Røde Mic´s om E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Akashi, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Hi,

I want to improve my sound off my videos and is considering the Røde Mic´s (Videomic Pro and Stereo videomic pro). Does these work well on the Olympus? I ask because I am new to external mic and want to make sure I am not overlooking something (you never know). I´ll be recording voices indoors and like the ambient sound of the Stereo mic better than the shotgun mic (Videomic pro). Also when I tape (or video) my kids outside the ambient sound is going to be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

2. rt2photo

rt2photo Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2014
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... check out the Olympus LS series of recorders, they are designed to work with the E-M1. I have the LS-14 and really like the results, can be used as a stereo mic, pre-amp, recorder and much more. They have them refurbed also ......

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Hey, I actually work in a music/pro-audio shop and have a bit of experience with all these mics (on a 5DmkII, not my EM5) so hopefully I can actually be useful here for once ;)

The main difference I noticed between the Go and Pro models was the pre-amp noise on the Canon. The preamp built inside the camera is quite loud, so by increasing the output off the mic and lowering the input gain on the camera, you ended up with *much* cleaner audio. I'm not sure what the preamp inside the Olympus is like, but I imagine it's not fantastic. For voices indoors you will really want the shotgun mic, as the stereo will get a lot of reverberation off the walls and give you a pretty messy sound, not to mention picking up anything running in the background like your fridge or tv. If you were recording live bands then the stereo excels. Outside maybe the stereo would be cool for a wider sound but I don't think it'd be worth the trade-off if recording voices inside is your primary goal.

If you were to get a portable recorder instead, I would definitely suggest looking at Zoom. Those guys rule the portable recorder category from the cheap end with the H1 (my old band used one of these to record every gig, sounded great. They also sell a hot-shoe mount!) all the way through to the H6, which allows you to swap out capsule attachments (shotgun, stereo, etc) and also has 4 XLR inputs so you can really get some cool recordings happening. Again, not sure how well they will interface with an EM1 (if at all), but it would be well worth looking into it if that was the way you wanted to go.

Hope that helped, any questions feel free to shoot, I like the feeling of giving some knowledge rather than just asking questions all the time!

5. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Argh, for some reason I did not get a message about these posts - so I got the Røde Stero Videomic pro this morning. Dang, perhaps I should have gone with the shotgun mic :( Oh well at least I got it second hand. I did watch some YT videos with the stereomic and it sounds very good for voices but I get it that there must be nothing humming in the background.

Regarding the input, I don´t think you can alter the input-gain on the EM-1 at all?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  6. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Not a worry, the Stereo is still a fantastic piece of kit and sounds great, maybe try mixing it down to mono for voice recordings though? Honestly, if I were doing a bunch of video I would probably want both eventually anyway! I'm an audio geek though. Not idea about the EM1's input gain as I've got an EM5, but even if it's automatic I'd hazard a guess that you'll still get cleaner audio if you stick the mic up on maximum output (+20db from memory). If you find yourself recording a louder source though (like a band) you may want to pull it down. Does the EM1 give you any indication at all if audio is clipping?

7. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Others may know better, I haven´t really tried with a mic on the E-M1 before - but I don´t think there is any indication of sound clipping. Guess I´ll just have to try and see and replicate a situation that works.

8. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks for this, I have the Zoom H1, but it is horrible for handholding. I've read some good reviews about the LS-14 and I will pick one up next refurb sale...

9. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Anything like that is going to sound bad handheld, as it's your handling noise that is most likely the issue. Try attaching a handle of some kind if that's what you're doing, preferably with a shock mount (like what the Rode linked above has). That will separate your mics from your hands and stop any noise you're making travelling up to them.

10. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I have the rycote shock mount for zoom h1 and comparable recorders, but even with that the h1 picks up a fair bit of noise via the body or when I move the monopod when shooting video. It has to do with the lightweight plastic body and the mic sensitivity I think? I also have a deadcat to cut down wind noise via the mics, but sometimes the body also picks up wind noise.

Anyway the Olympus l-14 seems to get better reviews as far as handling noise, although it seems to be wider and heavier than the zoom h1.

11. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have a Rode NTG-2 shotgun that I use for recording voice for video (although not with an EM1). I prefer to use it off camera, on a boom of some sort, and record to a stand-alone recording device. Get the mic as close to the subject as you can! Recording audio in the camera is ok in many cases, but you want to be able to monitor it with headphones no matter what. About the only thing better than a good shotgun mic is a lapel mic clipped to the subject, although that is not always possible or practical. A shock mount (Rode SM3 or SM4 for example) is key to minimize handling noise.