1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quote of the Day by established photographers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by noelh, Mar 23, 2011.

1. It has been ~3 decades since last reading "The New Ansel Adams Photography Series". In rereading came across an interesting comment in the section titled "Resolution and "Sharpness"".

"I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!"

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    "No eyes ever will, nor ever shall,
    see what I see now".

Margaret Bourke White

3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    “ I always thought good photos were like good jokes. If you have to explain it, it just isn’t that good " – Anonymous

Source unknown - but I like it.

4. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Henri Cartier-Bresson

"Actually, I'm not all that interested in the subject of photography. Once the picture is in the box, I'm not all that interested in what happens next. Hunters, after all, aren't cooks."

Henri Cartier-Bresson

If only I could get the picture into the box...

QBI

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

"I believe all artists, if they are not lying to themselves, must believe that the best part of their work, or even their life, is in front of them. To look only to the past and to say 'those were the best years, when I was young' is to say that in the future there is nothing." Jan Saudek

A bit long, a bit simple...but even though I'm quite young, I need to repeat this quote to myself quite often.

6. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    "I take pictures because I want to see what things look like when they're photographed" Garry Winogrand

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Not a photographer, Alberto Moravia once wrote what I regard as the most important axiom of photojournalism : "Reality is in color, but black and white looks more realistic"

(translation is mine, so if it sounds bad, blame it on me).

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  8. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    If I have any 'message' worth giving to a beginner it is that there are no short cuts in photography. - Edward Weston

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    First, you learn how to look, how to love - Jacques-Henri Lartigue

10. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. ~Ansel Adams

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995

It's weird that photographers spend years or even a whole lifetime, trying to capture moments that added together, don't even amount to a couple of hours. ~James Lalropui Keivom

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls! ~Ted Grant

While there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see. ~Dorothea Lange

Often while traveling with a camera we arrive just as the sun slips over the horizon of a moment, too late to expose film, only time enough to expose our hearts. ~Minor White

• Like Like x 1
  11. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

I don't remember who said it but it was a photojournalist responding to a question along the line of what is the secret to your success? His reply was " f/8 and be there."