1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick trigger question

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by scottz, Jun 25, 2013.

1. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I'm looking to order a wireless trigger for my EPL1. At the moment all I have is an old Olympus T20 with a soft hood. I want to mount it on a bracket to get it closer to the lens for macro work. Which of the cheaper triggers on Amazon would be compatible? I'm looking at the Cowboy Studio and Yongnuo models.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As far as I know the E-PL1 is incompatible with any of the various remote options.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Maybe I should have been clearer. I want to trigger the flash, not the shutter.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I apologize for reading your post a bit too quickly. As I re-read it, it's pretty clear that you were talking about a flash trigger. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in that regard.

Any strobists in the house?

5. dancat

dancat Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    I use the little flash that cammed with the OMD and a diy flash diffuser that goes from the flash to the edge of the lens. See here for more details: http://orionmystery.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/more-macro-rigs.html?m=1

Mine is like chee way's macro ring. It was cheap, because i used only what i could find in the house :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You could also consider a TTL cable (FL-CB05 or clone). That's the more traditional way to get a flash off the hotshoe and onto a bracket.

Can't answer for the Cowboy Studio triggers, but Yongnuo, the RF-602s will work, the RF-603s won't. The RF-603s are transceiver units that can be either a transmit (Tx) or Receive (Rx) unit--it automatically senses whether it's mounted on a flash or a camera by using a specific TTL pin signal. Unfortunately, with the Nikon version, that pin isn't making contact with the hotshoe, because the pins are placed differently from m4/3, and with Canon, the signal's on the wrong pin/contact.

The RF-602s avoid this issue by having separate (dedicated) Rx/Tx units. But. There are drawbacks to the 602s. They have no locking rings on the feet (can make for a more unstable flash/trigger/stand sandwich), the on/off power switch is exactly where you can't reach it when you've got a speedlight mounted on top, the transmitter uses a funky non-standard battery, and channel switching is done by dipswitches (sigh).

You may want to look at the Cactus V5 triggers. They're also transceivers, but have an Rx/Tx switch on them. :) They have locking rings, channel selection is with a dial, and the on-off switch is easily accessible on or off the speedlight. And all the units use AAA batteries. Also, unlike the Yongnuos, you can actually get a shutter release cable for m4/3 cameras so the triggers can be used as both flash and shutter releases (if you eventually get a camera body with a shutter release port). Bit more expensive, but could be worth it.

7. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mu-43 mobile app

8. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I took a chance and ordered the Cheaplights NPT-04 4 channel 2 receiver set from Amazon for about $20 bucks. They work just fine on the E-PL1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with this. I always use cable to a bracket. It's the most reliable. I've permanently attached sync adapters to all my brackets, turning their cold shoes into hot shoes.

For TTL cables, you can also use the Canon varieties as well as 4/3. They use the same pin patterns, though of course you don't want to throw a Canon flash on there as the functions of those pins will differ. The TTL cables themselves are identical in function but the Canon ones are generally well-built and easier to find.