1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Review Quick Review on Panasonic G9

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by ralf-11, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    The G9 is a lot easier to use than the GX85. It has easy to reach controls and a lot of the poor ergonomic design of eariler bodies has been addressed.

Image Quality is good tho I did not detect a huge increase over the 16 Mpix sensor in the GX85. For landscapes or other subjects including the sky, you will need to bracket just like other small sensor cameras with low dynamic range (and sometimes even a full format camera).

The G9 is a very large body, and while easy to hold, the size means that the major benefit of the m32 format no longer exists.

Unfortunately, the G9 seems riddled with quality control problems. The rear LCD has artifacts, photo transfer via USB no longer works on mine, and the WiFi transfer that took me so many hours to setup no longer works either. I will have to send the body back to the dealer and do without during that process.

Overall, I am not very happy with this very expensive m43 body. Panasonic badly needs a good follow on body to the GX85.

2. Like the GX9?

It addresses the major failing of the GX85 (fixed EVF) and has the newer menu system and 20MP sensor.

3. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    no, the GX9 doesn't really cut it for me - it replaces the GX8 tho

but let's discuss that on a GX9 review...

4. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    It sure sounds like you got a lemon, and I totally understand where you're coming from. Fortunately for me, I've not had these same issues, so my experience with the camera has been much more positive- but some of the points you make I agree 100% with. The 20mp sensor in the camera, as you mention, is good, not great. Compared to my other two cameras (E-M1 mark 1 and GX85), my G9 has obviously more resolution, which helps with the noise at higher ISOs by having a finer noise pattern, and better dynamic range. What I don't really see is an actual difference in high ISO performance, but I'm ok with that given the trade-off of more MP and better dynamic range. Also, as you noted, this camera is large. It's comically big for the average m43 camera, but again, I see it as a positive, as I feel the ergonomics are just about perfect. It's certainly much more comfortable to hold and use for me than either my E-M1 or my GX85 (and if I want small, I have the option of using the GX85). It's hard not to compare it's size to other cameras, such as the fujifilm or sony line, but you have to take into consideration the lens size as well. But either way, this is without a doubt one of the largest (or perhaps the largest?) m43 bodies.

I certainly hope that you get the issues with yours sorted out, because I really do think it's a pretty great camera, but at the end of the day you've got to use what you want to use. Shoot, I didn't like the E-M1 when I first tested it out, then ended up using it for nearly 3 years before I switched over to the G9. Horses for courses, I guess.

On a side note, I really should write a review up myself as I've had this now for almost a year...

5. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    The dealer will take it back for an exchange, and I am likely to do that.

I have not had any problems with it take pics - just operational issues and transfer issues... "just"

It should not have these problems however.

Now, comparing it to FF (like a Nikon) - the DR is pretty close; and the only real detriments are noise at high ISO (low light) and say BIF.

The giant lenses for tele and ultra wide for FF still make the G9 setup smaller, but no m43 with a moderate zoom on it (I use the PL 12-60) should be nearly as large as a FF setup. A better GX85 type body with a small hand grip (which could house the battery) is what m43 needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.