Quick Release Strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jonlong, Nov 18, 2013.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Just wondering if there's such a thing as a strap that can quickly attach/detach from my Lumix G6. It has the small rectangular attachment points that are pretty common on smaller cameras. If it had the triangular ones like on an SLR, then I'd just use small clips or carabiners on the ends of the camera strap. I would like to not have the strap in the way a lot of the time, but I hate taking it off and putting it back on.

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I did some research into one of these for quite some time and decided to go with Peak Design Leash (https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/). No regrets with it. You can use the strap in multiple ways and it is just the right size for m43 cameras.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I was hoping to avoid having something still connected to the camera, but these are minimal enough that they should stay out of the way. Thanks, I think I'll go with this!

4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Yea, from my experience the endings don't get in the way. They are also very easy and fast to remove if need be.

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Quick Release Strap.......IMVHO........A great big NO-NO.

A camera + lens, I should imagine, makes a lovely sound crashing onto the ground, and a nice big dent in ones wallet :rolleyes:

A fixed neck strap for me, either around me kneck or mostly wrapped around me wrist.

I favour the Nikon strap...AN-4B

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If you check the peak design strap I think its a very good design, it's not your typical quick release strap at all. Once it's connected there is almost no chance it will come off...

I also avoided any of the traditonal quick release straps until I saw the peak design leash :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    That 'very thin' piece of cord attaching strap to camera lug looks 'iffy' to me, much prefer my £2000 lump anchored by a 1/2" wide piece of strong nylon.

Just my opinion you understand/

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Having actually used all manner, that thin piece of cord is at least as strong (as in still complete overkill) as a 1/2" wide flat strap. The peak system works great, is ideal for MFT, but I have no qualms about using it for my 5DII with a 135L attached (heavies combo I use on that camera right now). It's a bit narrow (digs in) for the DSLR, but it's absolutely perfect for MFT.

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Peak design gear is top. That 'thin piece of cord' is deceptively strong. As mattia says, it's not the most comfortable strap to use with heavy gear, but m43 gear is no problem whatsoever.

10. Etude

Etude Long Exposure Addict

Jun 24, 2013
    I have been using Peak Design lease for the past 5 months on my E-M5. It is durable and strong.
    It is very useful if you shoot a lot using tripod. Especially, in portrait mode where the strap can get in the way.
    However, I feel that it is not that comfortable as a neck strap. Comfort wise is better as a sling strap.

11. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Inspired by the peak design strap, I simply tied a small loop to one camera strap point. Then I attached a small carabiner to my panasonic strap so that I can quickly connect it to the loop. The only trade off is that I am not connecting to two sides, so the camera can twist and move around more. But the upside is that I don't have anything dangling on the grip side. I've found that I like having a strap to hold the camera when I need my hands free. But when I'm handling the camera, I prefer not having a strap in the way. Maybe I'll get the peak design strap down the road, but I'll use my improvised setup for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    I just ordered the PD yesterday. Bought the pro combo with the leash & cuff. And of course the m4/3 plate. Can't wait to put it on.

13. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I just received the Peak Design Strap and the Capture Pro earlier this week, both the strap and the Capture Pro look really solid and well made. I'll be testing them out in the mountains all next week to see if they hold up well.

14. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    I love the upstrap because I predominantly will have the camera over one shoulder, and the rubber pad on the upstrap sticks to the shoulder and doesn't budge.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/product/SG-QR/SG-QR-V.html

The medium quick release with Vectran loop ends has a quick release for snapping on and off the strap, and the vectran loop ends also allow for easily taking on and off the part that attaches to the camera. It takes a few seconds to release the camera from the strap using the quick release, and if you want to completely remove the strap, it takes perhaps 20-30 seconds to remove or install the vectran loop ends.

For me, honestly, I either have the camera in my hand, or it goes in my Billingham Hadley Pro without any strap or loop ends on the camera. The only issue I've found is when I go to hand the camera to someone else to take a photo. With some paranoia I'll let an adult use the camera without strap, but I refused to let my 8 year old son take a photo without the strap attached. Normally, if I have a strap attached, I will personally put the camera strap around any adult or child's head before they use my camera.

But honestly, you can easily keep the loop ends attached. Without it causing any issue. I just love the ergonomics of the EM-1 so much that I love handling it naked. And to clarify for some of you, I have clothes on, the camera is naked. ;)

15. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    So I go look at the Peak Design leash and then I see the Pro Capture unit and now I am thinking this would be just what I need. And if I had the leash to go with it, and what the heck..should get the strap too.
    And this is while I am trying to save up for the 12-40 Oly.....
    Why do you guys do this to me?

16. portadiferro

portadiferro Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2013
    My capture and cuff was shipped the other day and I'm anxiously waiting for them. It's nice to hear people are happy with the strap! If I want to have the camera ready I'm just carrying the E-M1 in my hand and I don't think I'd trust hanging it from the strap alone. Wouldn't be worried about dropping it, more about banging it somewhere when it's swinging. But will have to see how it feels when I get it. In any case there's always insurance in case there's accidents!

17. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    That's why it's nice to have a shoulder bag that you can easily drop the camera into it. It provides protection whole your not holding it and it gives easy access to a flash and other lenses. I find the Billingham Hadley pro perfect for this. I rarely use the strap these days because it's so easy to carry the bag and easy to drop my camera into it.

18. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I can echo what others said about liking the Peak Design strap (Leash) and cuff. I've used both for about 6 months on my E-M5 and now M1. The cuff stays on my camera all the time whether in my bag or in hand. When I have handed the camera to someone else to take a photo (e.g. waiter in a restaurant) most will first slip the Cuff on their wrist.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

19. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Not wanting to spend much more on accessories, (I already have a gordy camera wrist strap which I love and the oly neck strap that came along with the camera) I made a DIY quick release strap using three small carabiners and two small key rings. Works perfectly.

OLY strap with key rings + carabiner
    DSC_0007.
    GORDY STRAP with carabiner
    DSC_0005.

• Like Like x 1
  20. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    BlackRapid Metro - great strap

• Agree Agree x 1