1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick Release Strap?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Streetshooter, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Anybody have a lead for a quick release for a strap?
    I'd like to be able to go from a wrist to a sholder without much hassel.
    Try as I may, I can't find anything suitable.
    I'd like it to attach to the ring ideally.
    Shooter

2. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I have been using the Op/Tech wrist strap which is very comfortable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542422-REG/OP_TECH_USA_6701062_SLR_Wrist_Strap_Black_.html

I also recently picked up a Black Rapid mode R-4 which I have only used a little but I am happy with that also. You are probably familiar with them already, but for those who are not, there is a short instruction/use video on their site.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/

What I am contemplating is getting an additional Black Rapids' ConnectR-2 and attaching that in some fashion to the Op/Tech wrist strap or perhaps another make of wrist strap which should allow an easy transition between the two.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like that wrist strap? I got the Optech wrist strap that slimmer, without the quick disconnect. It seems really durable and the nylon mesh that attaches seems substantial. The QD strap looked like the attachment point was too thin, and the strap you linked to looked like overkill for the Pen.

Here's the one I picked up: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/118922-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1819001_Cam_Strap_Forest_Green_.html

4. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    The connection point with from the strap to the camera body is pretty secure/strong and what they call the uni-loop is a nylon heavy twine and pretty substantial to the point I wouldn't expect it to break. The strap itself is probably the same as the one you linked to. I just wanted to take it off easily and liked the quick release.

The Black Rapid might be overkill in some respects if you just use the kit and smaller lenses like the PL 20mm. I primarily wanted it for walking around and watching sporting events with the 45-200 attached to include the lens hood. In that respect it does well and once adjusted the camera just rides by your side or behind your hip and easily can be swung up as needed. Other than that use, I am using the wrist strap for everything else. I also wanted the Black Rapid for use with my DSLR gear although that is not getting much use these days. :smile:

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    How long is that black rapid strap? I picked up a shoulder strap made by Tamrac last week. It was the only one I could find over 50 inches.

6. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    When stretched out completely with both sides of the strap on top of each other it is about 32 inches not counting the metal fastener. The strap is worn across ones chest (e.g strap in on the left shoulder and runs down to the camera on ones right side) similar to a messenger bag. I'm 5-11 and have plenty of additional strap left after I adjust it. If I run it out all the way, the camera would be down almost to my knees. The attached link might do a better job than I did in explaining it. It is not a totally new design as others have released similar products, as you are probably aware. I had seen this being used by a friend who is a pro-shooter and was impressed at this design and implementation.

http://www.blackrapid.com/video/r-strap-instructions

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Wow. That is nifty. Thats the problem I was having just finding a shoulder strap for the bag I have that I carry my EP1 in. I prefer to carry it messenger style, across my chest. The typical 48 inch(one end to the other, or 24 inches folded) is not long enough for me, at 6"2. According to the side, the strap is 60 inches, which would be perfect for me.

Darnit, now I got to go buy me another strap, LOL.

8. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Richard W

Richard W Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Hi Shooter

I noticed on another thread that you found/use a le hook quick release.

Are you happy with its strength/security?

Which size did you get?

Thanks.

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Richard,
    Yes I have them and am very happy.
    I will write a review shortly and post it.
    Rik shipped from the Netherlands and I got them in 4 days, here in the USA...Philly...
    They work great.... I got them from him and he only has one size available....
    Shooter

11. Richard W

Richard W Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks, I look forward to it as I like to change straps depending on the anticipated useage.

By the way I googled for le hook quick release and found a site selling 6 different sizes. The largest will support 650 kg!!! Must be serious quality.

Regards,

Richard.

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Richard, The smallest one is the right one...
    I got 3... 2 on the neck strap and one on the wrist strap....
    It is such a pleasure to just change anyway I want in a second....
    very, very elegant system...

13. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
  14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  15. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I use Op/Tech wrist straps with my m 4/3 works quite well. I also use Black Rapid straps with my Nikon D700 and D90 and I have the CouplerR connector for the two straps so I can carry one on each shoulder, Black Rapid also makes a double strap harness. The Black Rapid straps attach via the tripod hole so that may be an option for switching.

Both systems work well well for me. Since the m 4/3 cameras are small and light I prefer the wrist straps but If I was going on a photo walk where I might be carrying camera for 2 or 3 hours at a time I would consider the Black Rapid system. I usually like to shoot with 2 cameras one wide, one macro or lensbaby.

Op/Tech also sells a triple set of neck, wrist and finger straps:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583421-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3401111_Compact_Strap_Trio_Black_.html

16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I tried the Optech triple set also - its all quick release so very easy to switch back and forth between neck and wrist strap - but just don't like the feel of a regular neck strap anymore with the way it lets the camera swing around. I bought a Black Rapid also and really love the idea behind it and the way it works, but with the big shoulder pad, its really kind of overkill for m43 unless you're carrying a big legacy lens or something. Its big enough that its a PIA to shove into my case when I'm not wearing it. And even with the Pany 45-200, its more strap than I need - its really designed for heavy DSLR setups and would be great for those. I ordered a Y-strap, as has been discussed here before - its the same concept as the Black Rapid, but just a strap - a lot lower key. It that works as expected (ie, like the Black Rapid) it'll probably be the ticket. I MIGHT keep the little Optech quick release on the right lug of the camera and occasionally attach the wrist strap when I'm going to be doing a LOT of shooting over a period of a few minutes. But the more I've used the Black Rapid, the more I realize the camera is always so readily and easily accessible that I probably wouldn't end up using the wrist strap much if at all. The function of the Black Rapid / y-strap concept is just too good to want to go back to a traditional neck strap again.

-Ray

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I endend up using one of these:

Quick Disconnect Key Chain.

I keep the wrist strap connected to the right side all the time. But on the left side, I put one of these on(minus one of the split rings). I connect my shoulder strap to the left side and carry the camera around across my chest and shoulder(messenger style). Similar to the black rapid idea, but not attached to the tripod . I am finding that I like this for carrying the camera, but it restricts mobility with the camera when shooting. But with the quick disconnect keyring, I can easily take the camera off the strap and use the wrist strap to shoot. When I'm done, I just connect the keyring back to the left lug on the camera.

18. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    OMG you are scaring me. I barely trust my keys with those - have had them randomly come apart multiple times, not to mention one simply fell apart on me (literally to pieces - the ball fell out of the socket).

One time warning: GET SOMETHING ELSE!

Maybe just an O ring, and a carabiner from a climbing store. Anything but one of those key ring clips.

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

It seemed pretty tough to me. I yanked on it and I started to bend the OLY split ring. I'll keep an eye on it. I like it because its small and out of the way. Carabiners are big.