1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick release plates for 4/3 cameras?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ian_Holmes, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Ian_Holmes

Ian_Holmes Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2010
    Minnesota
    I'm not so worried about tripods. I have several that have served me well over the years supporting both my 35mm, DSLR and medium format cameras.
    But I've always used a tripod that incorporates a quick release plate system. I have the q/r plate screwed into the bottom of my camera. It's easier to get it on and off the tripod then. But my E-P2 is so small even the smallest of my q/r plates is bigger than the base of the camera. I've a funny feeling that this will always be the case. Does anyone know of a tripod with a q/r plate that isn't too big for a 4/3 camera?

Ian

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Good question, Ian. I don't have a useable tripod anymore and have been wondering the same thing.

3. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

I'm about to post a review of a Velbon tripod where the included quick release plate is only 43mm x 31mm ( 1 11/16" x 1 1/4")

Eric

• Like Like x 1
  4. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Since I have been using the RRS system for years, I bought the body plate for G1 so that I can use the same BH-55 ballhead (for my Canon system with super tele). For someone who has not invested in the RRS system, it may not make sense to get their plate.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    If you have a head that takes the usual dovetail standard (kirk, rrs, markins, photoclam - I have a photoclam ballhead myself), I found the Kirk pz-130 point and shoot plate to be perfect for my GF1. Here is a shot, the battery/card compartment has no problem opening on the GF1 with the plate still mounted. It is 1.5/1 inches, with a small lip to prevent twist (which I face to the front of the camera, as you can see in the photo). You can find it on ebay for about $30 direct from Kirk, here is a pic:

[​IMG]

6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I use the Cullman plate (which might only be obtainable in Europe), it's a 42mm square plate but by virtue of an offset mounting screw it's clear of the battery compartment lid on a Panasonic G1, GF1 etc.

7. CanonDude

CanonDude Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2010
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Consider a Trekpod from Trek-tech. It uses a very small (but very strong) magnetic mount with a safety catch. About the size of a quarter. It is well suited for a Micro 4/3rd camera.

The magnet is on the pod, and not on the camera mount. It won't effect the memory card.

8. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  9. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

Velbon But...

The Velbon Maxi was a very good tripod. I say was because I think that model has been replaced. The tripod came with a pan and tilt was better than most in the price range. The ball head whch had to be purchased separately is excellent it is quite rigid and handled a Canon 10D without any risk. But covert the plate, lost or spares are expensive for what they are. I'm currently using this set up with my EP-2 but have ordered a Really Right Stuff L bar.
    Michael

[​IMG]