Quick release plates for 4/3 cameras?

Ian_Holmes

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not so worried about tripods. I have several that have served me well over the years supporting both my 35mm, DSLR and medium format cameras.
But I've always used a tripod that incorporates a quick release plate system. I have the q/r plate screwed into the bottom of my camera. It's easier to get it on and off the tripod then. But my E-P2 is so small even the smallest of my q/r plates is bigger than the base of the camera. I've a funny feeling that this will always be the case. Does anyone know of a tripod with a q/r plate that isn't too big for a 4/3 camera?

Ian

slau

Mu-43 Regular
Since I have been using the RRS system for years, I bought the body plate for G1 so that I can use the same BH-55 ballhead (for my Canon system with super tele). For someone who has not invested in the RRS system, it may not make sense to get their plate.

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
If you have a head that takes the usual dovetail standard (kirk, rrs, markins, photoclam - I have a photoclam ballhead myself), I found the Kirk pz-130 point and shoot plate to be perfect for my GF1. Here is a shot, the battery/card compartment has no problem opening on the GF1 with the plate still mounted. It is 1.5/1 inches, with a small lip to prevent twist (which I face to the front of the camera, as you can see in the photo). You can find it on ebay for about $30 direct from Kirk, here is a pic:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
I use the Cullman plate (which might only be obtainable in Europe), it's a 42mm square plate but by virtue of an offset mounting screw it's clear of the battery compartment lid on a Panasonic G1, GF1 etc.

CanonDude

Mu-43 Rookie
Consider a Trekpod from Trek-tech. It uses a very small (but very strong) magnetic mount with a safety catch. About the size of a quarter. It is well suited for a Micro 4/3rd camera.

The magnet is on the pod, and not on the camera mount. It won't effect the memory card.

Michael

Mu-43 Regular
Velbon But...

The Velbon Maxi was a very good tripod. I say was because I think that model has been replaced. The tripod came with a pan and tilt was better than most in the price range. The ball head whch had to be purchased separately is excellent it is quite rigid and handled a Canon 10D without any risk. But covert the plate, lost or spares are expensive for what they are. I'm currently using this set up with my EP-2 but have ordered a Really Right Stuff L bar.
Michael

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom