1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick-release camera straps.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Johbremat, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Peak Design I'm most familiar with, and have just come across Vulture Equipment Works (which look dope and seem sturdy, but maybe not as elegant?).

Can anyone recommend brands to looks at (appreciate Peak Design offer the Anchor Link for other straps, but curious to see other quick-release implementations)?

On Peak Design...was looking at the Slide. Anyone using it on M43 bodies like the E-M1, GX8 or GH4? I know the Slide LITE is available but I'm a little more interested in a broad strap.

Also, how do people feel in general about the Anchor mechanism? Did it take much to get over concerns about perhaps being fragile?

2. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I have an Op/Tech Super classic with uni-loops on my G7. The quick connects are pretty robust, they aren't coming accidentally undone unless I start using my camera like a bola. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I have never been concerned whatsoever about the anchors. They are not fragile. Will last much longer than any modern camera...

4. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    So fraying isn't a worry for you and the ABS plastic the discs slot into seem thick, sturdy?

Which model did you pick up, for what body?

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have had the slide and the cuff on my E-M1 for over a year... No fraying, but note their anchor cords have colored interior layers, so you do get a warning.

The discs seem sturdy, and they 'click' when latched so I have no concerns about them coming loose.
    I think the biggest risk is of the camera's lug coming loose, at least on E-M5's... In which case it might be better to use a different strap that only uses the tripod mount, and/or a 'safety' (BlackRapid and/or OpTech, iirc).

The Slide is very comfortable, and I like its versatility over my previous Joby Ultrafit sling.
    It is more bulky when stored than the Joby though.

The Slide Lite was not available when I got my Slide; but I'm not sure how comfortable the Lite would be with the big tele lenses.

Barry

6. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I'm using E-M1s so not an immediate concern, but I've got to ask: you suggesting the silver eyelet attached to the E-M5 (not the triangular loop) has been reported to come off the body?!

Slide looks like it may be a goer. Looked closer at the Vulture kit and when off the strap seems a bit unwieldy. Checked out Hama, Op/Tech, BlackRapid, Hard Graft, Hold Fast and a bunch of carabiner-style options that don't really do it for me.

Do you use the lugs on your E-M1 or one lug plus the tripod mount? Do you have a collared lens you ever use for an anchor point?

7. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    No, I'm not worried about fraying and yes, the discs are sturdy and thick. Are they indestructible? No, but I still think I will be able to use them well into the next decade or so.

I have the Leash with the old type of anchors on an E-M5. Love the strap material and I'm very happy with it.

15534995539_e0e4613460_c. Sugru grip and bumpers on E-M5 by Tassie Fig, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes, I've seen numerous complaints of E-M5's losing the eyelet. The Special Edition is apparently the worst.

I usually use one lug on the tripod plate, one on the left eyelet, and the Cuff on the right eyelet and the plate.
    But I'll sometimes remove the Cuff so I can use both eyelets on the leash and shoot from the waist with the LCD tilted.

I have the 40-150 Pro but find the balance poor if suspending on the collar... It won't hang vertically that way.

Barry

9. jimworth

jimworth Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2014
    Norcross, GA
    Jim Worthington
    I've been using the Peak Design Leash with my E-M1 for about six months. Its my favorite strap after trying many others. I also own the Slide from my full frame days, but don't like the bulk when stored with an MFT body.

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've jury rigged a secondary quick release for my E-M1 on the other strap lug because I was concerned about a single point of failure with the main attachment on the left strap lug, but really hate tripod attachments.

It's actually quite simple, on the right strap lug is a Joby wrist strap, which I hook onto the main strap using a NiteIze S-carabiner (the newer version which locks). Nice thing about it is that I have a wrist strap ready to go as soon as I detach from the main strap.

• Like Like x 1
  11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    If you go with the Anchor or a similar system I'd suggest adding some cord at the camera attachment/lengthening the pigtail so that the hardware hangs below the camera instead of ending up under your hand(s).

12. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    That's a clever idea, but I feel introduces a potential/additional point of failure?

That's why I sorta stopped considering the A4 by Vulture Equipment Works. Once the carabiners where off there was still flappy bits remaining.

13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Your camera, your call. I would just knot a piece of light nylon cord into a loop maybe an inch in diameter, seal/melt the ends with a hot knife, and soak the knot with super glue. Then I'd loop it through the camera lug and loop the Peak loop through my loop. Yes, an additional potential failure point but negligible risk IMO.

I hate to have something under my hands, interfering. I have been solving this with pigtails for years, originally on film Nikons.

This is a four-year-old picture but it is basically the same sort of thing I am using now:

full.

14. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    I Have The Peak Design Leash And I Really Like It . The clips are very sturdy. I have been using it for problems two months with zero problems

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm a recent convert to the Slide Lite and it works great on either my P5 or M1. Very happy customer.
    One question you guys and gals may help me with, I want to connect my anchor cord to round SS rings instead of the triangular ones that come with the camera. Only think I don't know is which is the best size (smaller = better)? Any advice is appreciated.
    Bobby

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I use #7 stainless fishing leader split rings. You can buy a lifetime supply for a few dollars or PM me a mailing address and I'll send you a few. I do not recommend using them directly with nylon cord, however. I have found that the cut ends of split rings are sharp enough to chew through both nylon cord and stainless steel fishing line.

With pigtails made of stainless fishing line, I use some tiny welded stainless rings (#4, again fishing stuff). The steel fishing line loops through the solid ring and the solid ring then connects to the split ring. Doing this with nylon cord will necessitate a bigger solid ring and might be unacceptably bulky. (The old photo above/post #13 is from the days before I learned that the split ring will eventually chew up the steel line.)

The advantage of the triangular rings is that he cord tends to ride in a corner, away from the cut ends.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I use the Optech straps and connectors. Inexpensive, lots of options and very secure. The alternatives don't have any value added to justify the expense IMO. I can't see spending more for something so uncomplicated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I get very annoyed by hardware under my hands as well. I'm thinking about buying a Gordy's sling trap, with tripod mount attachment to get completely away from that issue, for use with an X100 and X-E2. I like Gordy's because straps are good quality; thin and unobtrusive; and customizable in length (I need XXLong) Any thoughts?

. sling-no-strap.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have an Arca plate on the bottom of my camera that engages with a wire belt loop that carries the camera, so a bottom-attach wouldn't work for me.

More generally why would you buy something so simple when you could make exactly what you want? Nylon & polyester cord is available in a wide variety of thicknesses and colors. Same thing for leather laces and strips. Just join cord by wrapping the overlap joint tightly with heavy thread and saturate the assembly with super glue. For leather, I'd overkill by first gluing with leathercraft cement (Eco-Flo Leathercraft Glue | Tandy Leather), then wrap and super glue. You'll have "good quality; thin and unobtrusive; and customizable in length" and exactly what you want. You might even save some money, but that's seldom my goal with DIY.

Or go nuts: Stormdrane's Blog: Lanyard/wrist strap made with 2mm cord on a 4-peg spool This guy has hundreds of good ideas.

Connection points are around $1: Camera 1/4" Connecting Adapter for All Camera SLR/DSLR Quick Sling Strap FO

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1