Quick questions re: Gordy's wrist strap for E-M5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by allenrowand, Sep 23, 2012.

1. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    For anyone who's using one (or using a Gordy's on a similar size camera):

1) I've removed the factory split-rings since I hate hearing them rattle. So if I want to attach the wrist strap directly to the lug, is the string style attachment the best way to go, or should I get the standard lug mount with a protector? Any thoughts on the integral protector?

1) Is the wrist pad worth it?

Thanks,
    Allen

2. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    I've never been a fan of the string-style attachments, just seem less robust than split rings. So with my Gordy's straps I use a split ring and rubber o-ring to help protect the camera. The leather protector seems a bit fussy to me, and I never considered the wrist pad, just wanted a basic wrist strap. I have Gordy's on my EPl2 and Nikon V1, but on my OMD, I left the factory split ring on and used a length of nylon cord from my local outdoor store, same as I used to use on my D700.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, Allen. I am using a Gordy's wrist strap, lug mount, on my E-M5 (go back and forth between that and a street strap) and it works really well for me.

I am using the o-ring bumper from Gordy and, in addition to protection, I think it improves the comfort on the E-M5. The ring provides a nice, soft buffer around the exposed lug, which doesn't bug me at all now.

I am not using the wrist pad and don't feel like I am missing out. Comfort is good without and the OM-D feels secure on just the strap.

4. allenrowand

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Thanks for the feedback- just ordered mine.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for starting this thread. I just ordered mine too. Never felt much need for a wrist strap, but the Oly 75/1.8 is heavy enough that my grip on the camera feels a bit less secure.

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Same deal with he 7-14. I get nervous with the giant front element, just begging to be scratched. Gordy's straps are rock solid sturdy, I have 2 that have held up great, and once broken in are soft and comfortable to use. If you want to speed up the process, a little minks oil or mineral oil will do the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. allenrowand

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I'd been thinking about getting one for a while, and the impending delivery of a 12-35 pushed me over the edge!

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I use a gordy's with the string end. I ended up buying a second one for this camera but swapped the longer version over from my GX1. I can't use the grip with the shorter version but with the longer one I can. I have no concerns about it holding up with any of my heaviest lenses, most of the time I don't let it dangle off my wrist though.

I took the original mounting clips off to install it also.

9. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Thanks for sharing. But how do you attach the ends of the cord?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.