Quick questions re: Gordy's wrist strap for E-M5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by allenrowand, Sep 23, 2012.

1. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    For anyone who's using one (or using a Gordy's on a similar size camera):

1) I've removed the factory split-rings since I hate hearing them rattle. So if I want to attach the wrist strap directly to the lug, is the string style attachment the best way to go, or should I get the standard lug mount with a protector? Any thoughts on the integral protector?

1) Is the wrist pad worth it?

2. macfish

macfish Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Columbus OH USA
    I've never been a fan of the string-style attachments, just seem less robust than split rings. So with my Gordy's straps I use a split ring and rubber o-ring to help protect the camera. The leather protector seems a bit fussy to me, and I never considered the wrist pad, just wanted a basic wrist strap. I have Gordy's on my EPl2 and Nikon V1, but on my OMD, I left the factory split ring on and used a length of nylon cord from my local outdoor store, same as I used to use on my D700.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, Allen. I am using a Gordy's wrist strap, lug mount, on my E-M5 (go back and forth between that and a street strap) and it works really well for me.

I am using the o-ring bumper from Gordy and, in addition to protection, I think it improves the comfort on the E-M5. The ring provides a nice, soft buffer around the exposed lug, which doesn't bug me at all now.

I am not using the wrist pad and don't feel like I am missing out. Comfort is good without and the OM-D feels secure on just the strap.
  4. allenrowand

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    Thanks for the feedback- just ordered mine.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for starting this thread. I just ordered mine too. Never felt much need for a wrist strap, but the Oly 75/1.8 is heavy enough that my grip on the camera feels a bit less secure.
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Same deal with he 7-14. I get nervous with the giant front element, just begging to be scratched. Gordy's straps are rock solid sturdy, I have 2 that have held up great, and once broken in are soft and comfortable to use. If you want to speed up the process, a little minks oil or mineral oil will do the trick.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. allenrowand

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I'd been thinking about getting one for a while, and the impending delivery of a 12-35 pushed me over the edge!
  8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I use a gordy's with the string end. I ended up buying a second one for this camera but swapped the longer version over from my GX1. I can't use the grip with the shorter version but with the longer one I can. I have no concerns about it holding up with any of my heaviest lenses, most of the time I don't let it dangle off my wrist though.

I took the original mounting clips off to install it also.
  9. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Thanks for sharing. But how do you attach the ends of the cord?