Quick Question on Older Oly Bodies

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjdean01, Aug 30, 2013.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I was thinking of buying maybe a PM1 or something similar (whatever I can find cheap) some someone who's just getting into photography. Since we'd be together and I use manual lenses, that camera would have an adapted lens as well.

So, I just wanted to know if on the older bodies if I can set the record button to zoom in to help with manual focusing. Thanks!

For the record, I have the PM2 and in all honesty I don't even use the other function button. It's set to the 2x converter which I never use!

2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    On E-P2, which you can buy very cheap, you can zoom in to 10X to manual focus.

But it's not the "record" button. Press the "Info" button until the green focus box appears, then press "OK" button which will zoom to 10X. And it works with manual focus lens.

I use it a lot.

3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Om the E-PM1 the record button can be set to magnify - needs to be pressed twice though, once to bring up the focus box and once to zoom. Range is wide, 5x to 15x if I remember, changeable via the wheel.

4. Snickers

Snickers New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2013
    I have the record button set to 'magnify' on my PM1, and use adapted lenses. Works fine, but I do bring the magnification down a touch from the default when using longer lenses as it wobbles around a bit when handholding. Or maybe I should lay off the caffeine a bit more...!

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the record button has been a multi-function "Fn" button since the day it was introduced on the E-PL1! You could always map it to anything else besides record, including the Magnifier on any camera which does not have a dedicated Magnifier button.

Yes it does take two keypresses to magnify. This is the same with every camera using the Magnifier function whether in its own dedicated button or in a Function button. This is because after the first press you can choose the place in the frame you wish to magnify to, so it doesn't always have to be the center!

I wish my E-PM1s had the second Fn button only because I use both auto and manual glass and when using auto glass I need to change the back-button to AF, then magnify when using manual glass. If I only used manual glass and never used auto glass, then I would be fine with just the one button too. ;)