Quick question about shooting mpeg on gf1

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Ray Sachs, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Hi all,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but wanted to check with the experts. When I shoot video on my Oly cameras, I'm limited to mpeg type formats (ie, they'll open with anything) but I'm also limited to about 8 minutes per clip before it fills the permitted file size. I've added a GF1 to the collection and I'm hesitant to use the AVCHD Lite format because its enough of a PIA to bring into my Mac and quickly get it out to iTunes or Flickr or whatever. And I'm just doing the occasional home movie, so the ultimate in quality isn't an issue to me.

If I want to shoot mpeg format on the GF1, do I have the same time limitation as I do on the epl1 or ep2? I'm guessing its just a built in limit of the mpeg format, but thought I'd check...

2. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been using motion jpeg on my GH1 and I did run into the 8 minute limit, which was a little annoying. I just had to find a break where I could stop/start the video before hitting the 8 minute mark.

With AVCHD I had to transcode the .MTS files to a different format in order to share it with my family. I used HandBrake and their built-in "Apple Universal" preset. I'm a video noob but I get the feeling that this conversion process is costing me some quality.
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Thanks for the reply. Since I hadn't heard from anyone sooner, I did some experiments and there's a limit, but its definitely memory based, rather than time specific. Sometimes I got as much as 12 minutes, sometimes only 7. I guess sitting on a tripod shooting an unmoving scene isn't as memory intensive as shooting a real moving scene! ;)

I ended up just using the AVCHD lite for recording my daughter's piano performance. Glad I did - it was about a half hour with just one short break between pieces. I had to import into iMovie into a new "event" and then drag it up to create a new "project" and then export the project to mpeg or whatever quicktime compatible format it exports to. Then I could put it up on youtube, or just click on it from anywhere to view it. If I shot a lot of video, I might consider this an unacceptable hassle, but at this point I use the video function very little, so I'll just deal with it for those longer performances...

4. squidbrand

squidbrand Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2010
    Hà Nội, Việt Nam
    Do a search for "Rewrap2M4V". I am a Mac user, and my GF1 videos are easy to deal with after I drop the MTS files onto that program/script. It doesn't actually convert the video; it replaces the headers so they become .m4v files, which QuickTime handles easily. (QuickTime actually can play AVC, just not in the .MTS wrapper.)
    • Like Like x 1