1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick Note: VSCO Film 04 Released, includes integrated support for Olympus Cameras!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by napilopez, Aug 7, 2013.

1. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Updated with samples: VSCO Film 04 released, includes integrated support for Olympus Cameras!

VSCO recently released their fourth film emulation package, which is designed to emulate the style of slide (positive) film. This time around, they are included customized profiles for Olympus cameras such as the OM-D!

Link here: Introducing VSCO Filmâ„¢ 04: Slide Film | blog | VSCO

This might not sound like much, but could be potentially very important. I use VSCO for my daily work, and just by messing around with trying the Nikon or Canon presets instead of their generic "standard" ones, you can see that the film look will vary wildly. More importantly; I noticed consistently far better results trying the presets on images from Canon cameras over those from my OM-D, as VSCO includes customized color profiles for those cameras.

That said, I also noticed far better results applying the filters to Olympus JPEGs or, even better, RAW files processed through Olympus viewer and converted to 16 bit TIFFs.

UPDATE: I've bought the package and posted some comparisons to the SooC JPEG and default LR RAW interpretation. Check it out here.

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    They've also said they'll be adding Oly profiles to the older film packs.

I bought pack 1 when it came out and never got much use out of it, I skipped 2 and 3, but 4 looked really great so I got it. So far I'm super impressed, I think Kodak E200 will become a regular part of my OMD photos.

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Agree with all you have said.

Bought them today. My favourite set so far. Has Leica, Fuji and Olympus presets. Hope they provide an update for pack 1&2 that I also have.

Gordon

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I shot Scala (as well as Velvia etc..). Really love that they've got that one in there.

Gordon

5. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    HAH! I just bought it and was about to post that E200 looks great so far. E200(-) actually seems to work nicely for my people photos, as it's a bit subtler on the contrast.

My film experience is basically limited to looking at images from various films, so I can't talk about accuracy, but I like what I'm seeing so far.

I have packs 1 and 2 as well, (don't think I'll make much use of 3, the effects in general are too extreme), where Fuji 160C, Tri-X, Portra 400, and Portra 160VC are my regulars, but they look much better applied straight onto Oly jpegs than RAW files. So far pack 04 seems to seriously benefit from having Oly profiles, and I'm curious to see what the original packs will look like when they add Olympus support.

They also simply added so many more films and variations of them than they usually do! Almost too much; it takes me so long to scroll through the presets =P

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have Vsco 1, 2, and 3 and will probably buy 4. I definitely think VSCO film simulations are far better than others but they are pretty expensive (although there are big discounts after buying the first one.)

Personally I like 3 the best - it is an instant film simulation - say polaroid. But perhaps I like it because it is a little more extreme (you can always tone it down.)

Looking forward to the updates on the earlier packs for Oly.

7. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    what actual presets do they have for the OMD, are we talking general color presets for the OMD ? i am on the verge of purchasing as i have 2 & 3 VSCO as well.

I use VSCO regularly in my PP and it will be nice to add OMD profile upon import!

8. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Couldn't you just set up a preset in LR, then save it with the attributes of the film, ie: Velvia 50?

I've never used this product myself.. so maybe I don't understand it.

9. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Would one of you who owns it be willing to post a before and after photo using this software? I'm interested.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Is it compatible with Elements - I still can't tell :confused:

11. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    They have no general color presets for any cameras, as far as I know. Instead, they have presets to match specific films and variations on their processing on various cameras. Because every camera has a different color response, these filters/presets need to be tuned for each camera. The presets for Canon and Nikon, for example, give drastically different results. The app works by using a combination of presets and camera profiles(not just for individual cameras, but individual cameras AND films!) to give the most accurate results possible. Camera profiles give you a lot more flexibility with color response than lightroom's settings alone.

As mentioned above, the app works not only byusing presets, but also by using specific camera profiles for each film to match color accurately. They literally process each of the films and compare it to the results from the camera on a calibrated screen to see how close they can get. Even though apps like Alien Skin Exposure may have more flexibility, as far as I can tell they don't seem to beas accurate as VSCO.

Granted, just because it's more accurate doesn't necessarily mean it looks better. It just means it comes closer to emulating what it might've looked like with film. I keep going back and forth between exposure and VSCO, but with these new Oly profiles, I may just stick with the latter.

Will do!

Don't think so =/

12. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Will update later, but just as a note: If you aren't that familiar with film (I'm not an expert myself), but typically like VSCO because you like the way it renders images, keep in mind this package is very different from anything they've released before.

Given that it's based on positive/slide film, everything here is a lot more contrasty and saturated by default. Also, like positive film, getting the exposure perfect really seems to help the overall quality of what you get.

So if you liked VSCO for the whole faded-ish colors and soft transitions betweens tonal ranges, you aren't going to get that here by default. It's harder to use on people shots if you don't have an idea of what you want. On the other hand, for things like landscapes, wildlife, plants, and other colorful vistas, it works wonderfully.

13. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Sorry for the triple post, but I thought it'd be merited if I updated you guys with some samples.

These images may not be the best representations for the applications of each film, but hopefully they will help give an idea of what to expect from this package. Unless otherwise noted, and other than slight cropping on a few, all the images are completely unedited from default.

As mentioned in an earlier post. The high contrast of slide film and these filters that emulate them means getting your exposure spot on is much more important than with the negatives emulation. You may find a filter looks terrible until you pull up/down the shot by half a stop. That said, RAW files often appear underexposed compared to Oly JPEGs, particularly in scenes with high dynamic range.

For those curious, I'm not completely sure of my JPEG settings for these old photos, but they are likely all shot with the 'Natural' preset, Gradation AUTO, Contrast, Sharpness, and Saturation at 0.

1)
    First, the Oly JPEG:
    9477061834_f61a65ab94_z.
    Tree by napilopez, on Flickr

Now the LR5 interpretation. Noticed how relatively underexposed it is:
    9477061434_8796655933_z.
    Tree-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

Finally, this is the RAW file with the Olympus VSCO Velvia 50- setting, the (-) indicating the effect is subtler than default.
    9477060578_acb1cbf384_z.
    TreeVelvia50-- by napilopez, on Flickr

2)
    JPEG:
    9474274005_b9bafc6920_z.
    thingies by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW:
    9477062440_c48a06692d_z.
    thingies-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Provia 400X:
    9474273653_a3b26c86b1_z.
    thingies400X by napilopez, on Flickr

3)
    JPEG:
    9474271355_bd20e862af_z.
    Bridge by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW:
    9474270877_2e2b643fd8_z.
    Bridge-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Velvia 50 Landscape. Those colors! The "Landscape" settings is slightly redder than default:
    9477058950_6c9abd9211_z.
    BridgeVelvia50Landscape by napilopez, on Flickr

4)
    JPEG. I thought the JPEG engine did a lovely job here:
    9474269903_a644c52337_z.
    Buildings by napilopez, on Flickr

The RAW isn't too bad, although certainly duller:
    9477058116_6006cf0a94_z.
    Buildings-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

Here's VSCO in a very exaggerated filter. Kodak E100VS +++:
    9477057736_5d0fc1399a_z.
    BuildingsE100VS+++ by napilopez, on Flickr

5)
    I might've had desaturated settings here, because the JPEG is duller than I remember the scene being:
    9477057062_30e2bee3c0_z.
    Central by napilopez, on Flickr

The RAW is even worse:
    9477056836_e838274c4d_z.
    Central-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

BAM! Velvia to the rescue. Velvia 100 Landscape. Again, the Landscape setting is warmer than default:
    9474268051_7c91c90031_z.
    CentralVelvia100Landscape by napilopez, on Flickr

6)
    JPEG:
    9477056126_c2ddcb23d4_z.
    Deer by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW:
    9477055878_2130c49575_z.
    Deer-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Agfa Scala 200++. I probably would've increased the exposure and clarity here a bit if I were to really work on the photo. Just a tad underexposed:
    9477055594_2d979516da_z.
    deerAgfaScala200++ by napilopez, on Flickr

7)
    JPEG:
    9474266493_a0e0bde77f_z.
    Facade by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW:
    9474266291_cdf79fbfdf_z.
    Facade-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Kodak E200:
    9474266129_2a7efc716b_z.
    FacadeKodakE200 by napilopez, on Flickr

8)
    Sometimes you can't really blame the camera. Shooting the Niagara falls in the mid day sun without a CP filter is doesn't fully capture the beauty. JPEG:
    9477054696_5d2d50e653_z.
    Falls by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW:
    9474265457_940511cc27_z.
    Falls-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Velvia 50. Had to pull this one up; was too dark otherwise:
    9477053912_a236c624ac_z.
    FallsVelvia50Landscape by napilopez, on Flickr

9)
    I quite liked the look the JPEGs gave me here. Already pretty film-like, methinks:
    9477053232_24aa0c6a71_z.
    Flower by napilopez, on Flickr

Raw isn't too bad, but less lively:
    9477053132_087d699651_z.
    Flower-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Astia 100F. Beautiful contrast here:
    9474264255_abf7ddb446_z.
    FlowerAstia100F by napilopez, on Flickr

10)
    It's a fire hydrant. How exciting. Jpeg:
    9477052838_f2fcfafba2_z.
    Hydrant by napilopez, on Flickr

Still just a fire hydrant. RAW:
    9474263755_762cdf46f3_z.
    Hydrant-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

OH SNAP. It's a PARTY hydrant now. Forta SP Balance Warm:
    9477052252_bfe8a4fdbb_z.
    HydrantFortiaSPBalanceWarm by napilopez, on Flickr

11)
    Pretty nice colors from the JPEG here:
    9474262825_cedf75bd51_z.
    Lean by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW:
    9474262677_b6d9995bc6_z.
    Lean-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Provia 400X+++. In general these slide films tend to be more contrasty than I like for my people shots, but some of the settings work pretty nicely. Particularly the (-) or (+) settings, as they either reduce contrast or exaggerate it artistically:
    9477051342_42907777b4_z.
    Lean400X+++ by napilopez, on Flickr

12)
    Hey look, it's me! JPEG:
    9474261385_aa08af9517_z.
    Me by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW:
    9477050174_80049c7978_z.
    Me-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO - Kodak E100G. The added contrast worked nicely here, I think:
    9474260835_d5a8cd262d_z.
    MeKodakE100G by napilopez, on Flickr

13)
    The JPEG is decent:
    9474260403_e1e7c64247_z.
    Pointy by napilopez, on Flickr

The RAW is drastically underexposed. This scene had higher dynamic range than the JPEG lets on:
    9474260261_703f576f17_z.
    Pointy-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

Thus VSCO is underexposed as well. This is Kodak E100VS:
    9477048910_6519ba477d_z.
    PointyE100VS-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

Pulling up exposure and lifting up the shadows makes it look a lot better:
    9477048542_434345c9e7_z.
    PointyE100VSFixed by napilopez, on Flickr

14)
    This guy was so cool. Jpeg colors aren't too shabby:
    9477048130_f6df4cd109_z.
    Sit by napilopez, on Flickr

RAW isn't far off here, but there's that little hint of dullness that really gets to me:
    9477064362_815125525a_z.
    Sit-2 by napilopez, on Flickr

VSCO certainly livens things up. Provia 100F:
    9477063374_7a4647a1c0_z.
    SitProvia100F by napilopez, on Flickr

In all, I really think this is an excellent package. Keep in mind I don't think I had the best distribution of presets, as the + and - settings--not to mention all the other variations, which this package has more than any previous one--can really alter the look significantly. More importantly, I didn't really try to see which filter would look best for each image, other than applying Velvia to the really dull landscapes; I was just using presets haphazardly.

For my own personal style, much of these are too saturated and constrasty, especially since I do a lot more candid people shots than nature and landscapes. I also enjoy a bit of fading, which these mostly lack. But that's to be expected; this is imitating positive film. It works beautifully for when you really want to make color pop. Select whatever works for your needs: at the end of the day, these presets are just starting points, albeit wonderful ones. Adjust as you like.

I can't wait until VSCO updates their older packages with Olympus compatibility, as Olympus settings seem much more accurate than the generic ones.

14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks Napier.

Looks like a very useful pack....I have all 3 previous packs, 1 & 2 i like a lot, never really liked 3..... the VSCO 'tools' are really useful I think. Film pack 4 looks excellent and looks like it'll be great once you can figure out where and how it applies best. Have it downloaded and look forward to putting it to good use shortly.

15. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    It indeed looks like a very useful package, one that's very different from the previous ones. In fact, I really love the colors I've been getting applying them to my old landscapes and nature photos. I'm quite surprised at how accurate the color is to my memory; the filters, even exceedingly exaggerated ones like Velvia, seem to get the color better than the default jpegs and RAWs do, ironically. It really seems like VSCO studies the film seriously. I think this package might inspire me to go take more landscapes, cityscapes, and nature shots. I've done little of recently.

Also, I understand your feelings about three. The package is nice and certainly looks like instant film; but given what I've seen from you, it's less subtle than your typically like. For some people it works wonders though!

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Thanks Napier. A good run through.

I did something a bit different with this pack. I bought the Photoshop ACR version rather than Lightroom.

I did this for 2 reasons. First Photoshop CC lets you use ACR as a filter which is in fact probably CC's most useful new feature.

Secondly, as this pack tends to give a strong boost to saturation and contrast, I think there will be many times that you want to tone it down considerably. So using VSCO on a separate layer and reducing opacity makes it easy.

17. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    this one have Kodak E100G applied
    9467718545_3f746d90c6_b.
    Sin título por mejores errores, en Flickr

something that i don't like of VSCO is how changes green from yellow green to a pure green in some of their presets. but in this pack i think works better.

maybe is because i use Panasonic, and the standard ones?

18. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    That will also depend on the color response of the film they're trying to emulate, but it will most certainly be affected by using a camera with the standard preset.

Every camera responds to colors differently. As such, applying a "Standard" filter will give you different results for each camera. That's why VSCO makes filter presets and profiles for specific camera models, so they can adjust for the idiosyncrasies of each model and give you the most accurate representation of the film possible through LR without matching each individual photo to an equivalent film shot.

That's why, at best, the "Standard" filters are just a guesstimate as to what these films would actually look like. They might help give the overall feel of a certain film, but they can't replicate the exact color response the way the filters potentially can with a camera profile. The easiest way to see this is to simply try applying the Canon or Nikon filters to your Panasonic images. You will get drastically different results, despite all trying to imitate the same film.

That's why I was so excited about this package being the first to include Olympus support. I noticed that applying VSCO to images from a Canon camera looked massively better and more film-like than just applying them to my Olympus files with the standard filter.

Granted, looking exactly like a specific film doesn't mean it's inherently better. Heck, I never seriously shot film myself and thus only have a vague idea of what specific types of films actually look like; sometimes a preset being "filmy" is enough. After all, I buy the presets not to imitate film, but because I just think they look good. It just so happens that most of the time there's a strong correlation between a good film emulation and the image looking good.

19. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Wow, thanks Napilopez for putting that together!

20. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    So I've been enjoying this pack more and more. Today I shot mainly with the intention of applying these slide filters afterwards. Not going to list each filter and modification out, but thought I'd share some more images edited with the package. It's a nice change of pace from my typical preferred slightly faded look. There's a lot of Velvia here.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508082268/" title="Velvs by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508082268_68f01ddd01_c. "800" height="600" alt="Velvs"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508081730/" title="Velvs-2 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508081730_1dc23c3c32_c. "600" height="800" alt="Velvs-2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9505285819/" title="Velvs-4 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9505285819_a32f029312_c. "800" height="600" alt="Velvs-4"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508080226/" title="Velvs-5 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508080226_bdbc008f2b_c. "800" height="534" alt="Velvs-5"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508079244/" title="Velvs-7 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508079244_d0379146b8_c. "800" height="600" alt="Velvs-7"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9505283421/" title="Velvs-9 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9505283421_9a8f5b47f0_c. "534" height="800" alt="Velvs-9"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508073634/" title="Velvs-10 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508073634_7083707b3e_c. "800" height="600" alt="Velvs-10"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508077110/" title="Velvs-13 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508077110_605ed81faa_c. "800" height="534" alt="Velvs-13"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9505281579/" title="Velvs-15 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9505281579_f9ab0453bc_c. "600" height="800" alt="Velvs-15"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508076028/" title="Velvs-16 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508076028_4a2dcd9aa3_c. "600" height="800" alt="Velvs-16"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508074394/" title="Velvs-21 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508074394_254dcacf38_c. "800" height="600" alt="Velvs-21"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/37605747@N07/9508073096/" title="Velvs-23 by napilopez, on Flickr"> 9508073096_3e78bec0dc_c. "800" height="600" alt="Velvs-23"></a>