Quick note: Transcend class 6 vs 10 in EP3 -- no difference

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 23, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had an 8GB Transcend class 6 card, and bought a 16GB class 10 Transcend card. Don't bother (unless you need the space). There is no speed difference in writing or downloading to a computer.

I did some Googling (after the fact) and it seems the Transcend Class 6 card was actually a fast card for it's time with some conjecture that it was class 10 speed before they changed the label. I guess I could have saved a few bucks and just gotten a 16GB class 6, then. Oh well, it was only $20.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else uses Transcend, and was looking for an "upgrade."

• Like Like x 1
  2. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I think they all measure "read" speeds not "write" speeds so class 6 is more than enough from what I hear. I've found though that class 10 cards are cheaper now than class 6 anyway.

3. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Similar Experience

I just bought an E-PL1 for my daughter and got a great deal on a SanDisk Extreme Class 10 16GB card. I have a Lexar Class 6 16GB card and cannot tell the difference between them in my E-PL2 or in her E-PL1.

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yeah, the reality is most class 6 cards already performed at class 10 or better speeds a long time ago - the class 10 designation simply didn't exist when they were created. To be honest it would surprise me if they slowed the class 10s down just to meet the spec (some brands anyway).

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What's faster than class 10, and do you think it would make any difference:

a) in camera write speeds
    b) downloading over a USB 2.0 port?

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Class 10 is the fastest classification at the moment. That doesn't mean it is the fastest cards can be made, it is simply the highest accepted industry standard. I have a couple of sandisk extremes (class 6) that are several years old and they run circles around the Patriot LX class 10 cards I bought late last year. If you want fast, get the sandisk extreme (or whatever they currently call them), from a proper seller!

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The whole SD class system is BS to be honest..there's no way to get an actual idea of performance unless you carefully research user tests for write speeds. And even then, it seems like a crapshoot with variation between batches.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I have heard the Sandisks are faster. Wish I had gotten one of those!

9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My Transcend SD 150x 4GB (supposedly ~2x faster than class 10) cannot keep up with E-P1 HD video mode (dropped frames and stutters frequent and obvious) but my Transcend SDHC class 10 16GB can.

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'm pretty sure the classing system was minimumwrite speed. This is important for video because you're continually writing megs of data per second.

In fact, Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yeah, and it is still noticeable in my K-5 (times seems to be flying by lately, I would guess I've had them close to 4 years now). Sandisk used to run awesome rebates a couple times a year too, I don't remember paying even $40 each for 8gb extreme 3s when I bought them - worth every penny, even if RAW+JPEG on my k-5 only nets about 180 photos!