1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Quick look video - my new OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, Apr 20, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Envy ... :)

Now post some photos!

• Like Like x 1
  3. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Photos of the camera or photos shot with the camera?

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Both!! Gotta live vicariously through you for the time being! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Will do. Also follow me on Instagram where I'm very active. Often I'll be shooting wirelessly to my iphone and posting on the go. Got shots up there already.

When I get around to it I'll post full res and raw files for download.

6. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    congrats.... I would be going nuts about now if I am still on the hook for the EM5... I will just wait a few more months when I can jump back in.. needless to say, I'd need to sell more stuff to save up.... Cheers...

• Like Like x 1
  7. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Just out of curiosity... when you say "shooting wirelessly to my iphone"... do you mean your shooting with the OM-D with something like an eye-fiSD and posting up through Instagram on your iPhone?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Yeah I'm still selling some gear too. Clearing out my Canon stuff is taking a bit of time but so be it.

I decided to go for it now even though the raw support is spotty because I had a client comment on a cover we shot so in order to provide my customers the best service possible I thought I had better get one.

In the future though if a job requires very high resolution then we'll add a medium format to the budget however 99% of what I shoot is good with 10MP. You just don't need that much detail with people. It's kinda nuts the detail digital cameras get and you end up erasing it in post and retouching is expensive.

9. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I would guess it must be an Eye-Fi or the BT accessory...

• Like Like x 1
  10. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Not a dumb question at all. When I want to shoot wirelessly I use the Eye Fi X2 Pro 8 Gig Amazon.com: Eye-Fi Pro X2 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Wireless Flash Memory Card EYE-FI-8PC: Electronics

It works with iOS and Android and from what Eye Fi told me its awesome with Android. Set up with iOS can be a pain in the @$$ but once you're moving its good.

Whats cool is having my iphone in my pocket and as I walk around shooting the photos are being dumped to the phone.

The PenPal does not support iOS at this time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Lucky man! Everyone is talking about high ISO, but I'm more interested in the DR/PP latitude if you blow the shot (literally!). My one bugbear is that I've never yet used a m43 cam where you can realistically pull back any more than around 0.6-ish of a stop (and that's being generous)..... any more than that and your colours (and everything else really!) just go AWOL - maybe my Fuji S5 Pro just spoiled me.... :smile:

12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    LOL
    hysterical
    "thats the sound of quality right there!" i was expecting a "yip yip!" after :D

then the hushed voice for the ocean sound
    too funny

nice vid :)

13. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks! I'm also interested in dynamic range too as that's always been more of an issue for me then ISO performance. I'll do some tests this weekend between the Pen Mini and the OMD.

I like to shoot to the left, keeping a good eye on the histogram as I shoot. I don't mind if I get more noise in the darks as long as my whites are clipped too bad.

If you shoot raw into Lightroom 4 it has some amazing tools to pull out detail in the Pen cameras. My guess is that the OMD will be even more so as soon as Adobe gives Olympus some love.

14. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Welp... I just gained a new found respect and use for the EyeFi cards... I'm an Android user too, so Definitely going to be looking into this.

Does the upload rate seem to be decent, or do you feel you have to drop the in-camera IQ setting in order to thin the file size for uploads while you shoot?

Edit: Bloody hell, that thing is expensive. lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Oh if you're going to shoot RAW be prepared to have a beer or something in between captures. It's slow but all wireless capture is slow. The thing is the camera will not lock up (most of the time) while shooting raw and if it does and you have to reset your camera when you turn it back on the download continues.

I have my system like this -

I show raw + small jpeg (1280x960 I think) with only the jpegs being sent over wifi. This works very fast and keeps the raws + jpegs also on the card. When I'm back in the office I download into LR4.

I shoot small jepgs on the go to the iphone only for social purposes. On jobs I shoot to the ipad so the client can see what they like, rate them then when the job is over I email them and myself copies of their selects. I do this for two reasons: 1 so the client can start working on their comps as soon as they get back to the office. 2 I get a copy of what they like so I can sync with the raw files in LR and when they make their picks I can quickly deliver finals to them or the files to a retoucher then to the client.

This is a workflow I'm detailing right now and will post the process up soon. I'm hoping to put some attention on professionals using the 4/3 system. It's really a great format!