1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Quick look at no-brand eBay grip for OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by darosk, Jul 11, 2013.

1. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm still in my OM-D 'honeymoon' period so and have been having a lot of fun buying and testing out accessories for it. For the last month or so I've been using this black, anodized metal grip I got off a Chinese eBay shop. It sort of looks like the RRS grip/bracket thing, sans the arca-swiss mounting. It's brand-less and comes in a black, felt, drawstring bag.

5SWlHIB.

4q3S8kN.

It's actually a perfect fit for my hands, feels really solid and sturdy, and is really only a couple dollars more than the JB grip or other grips like that, but it has one major flaw...

3pneMMp.

Yup... the grip completely covers the SD card slot. That's probably a dealbreaker for many of us, but I've actually found I can get by in my day-to-day personal shooting on one card. This will probably not hold true if I'm in a shooting situation that demands immediate access to the SD slot. In those cases, I'll probably switch to my Gariz half-case, or even go grip-less (unless I decide to buy and try some other grip).

After a month of daily, constant use, I can safely say that the guy who designed this has the exact same hand shape/size that I do. The fit is perfect for me (my hand span is about 23cm/9in), I figure that extra bit of smooth metal in the palm is what makes it feel so comfortable for me - it feels like a 'full' fit without being too heavy, so the blocked SD card access is a real shame.

I never really intended for it to be a permanent addition to my OM-D, as I love how sleek it is bare or with the Gariz half-case, but I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. It's nice having options :2thumbs: