Quick look at no-brand eBay grip for OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by darosk, Jul 11, 2013.

1. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm still in my OM-D 'honeymoon' period so and have been having a lot of fun buying and testing out accessories for it. For the last month or so I've been using this black, anodized metal grip I got off a Chinese eBay shop. It sort of looks like the RRS grip/bracket thing, sans the arca-swiss mounting. It's brand-less and comes in a black, felt, drawstring bag.

5SWlHIB.

4q3S8kN.

It's actually a perfect fit for my hands, feels really solid and sturdy, and is really only a couple dollars more than the JB grip or other grips like that, but it has one major flaw...

3pneMMp.

Yup... the grip completely covers the SD card slot. That's probably a dealbreaker for many of us, but I've actually found I can get by in my day-to-day personal shooting on one card. This will probably not hold true if I'm in a shooting situation that demands immediate access to the SD slot. In those cases, I'll probably switch to my Gariz half-case, or even go grip-less (unless I decide to buy and try some other grip).

After a month of daily, constant use, I can safely say that the guy who designed this has the exact same hand shape/size that I do. The fit is perfect for me (my hand span is about 23cm/9in), I figure that extra bit of smooth metal in the palm is what makes it feel so comfortable for me - it feels like a 'full' fit without being too heavy, so the blocked SD card access is a real shame.

I never really intended for it to be a permanent addition to my OM-D, as I love how sleek it is bare or with the Gariz half-case, but I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. It's nice having options :2thumbs:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.