1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick GX7 questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jan 25, 2016.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Sorry for another "quick question" thread but I have not time to look up old posts right now...

I'm looking at a GX7 (as I was last year), used and I need to double check some things with you guys.

The EVF is good but I noticed not totally sharp. When I focused on some boxes at the store, the large text seemed good but the smaller text seemed slightly out of focus, even a bit blurry. I will be going back to test that later and take some shots to see how they turn out. I know there have been some complaints about the shallow diopter adjustment, I would just like some input on this from anyone. I don't know if this a diopter thing or an af issue with the lens at the store.

I played around with them before but a long time ago. I'm more used to the Oly bodys recently but I noticed the shutter was loud and vibration very noticeable.

IBIS-I tried ibis on and off, I guess unlike the OIS, you cannot see the floating effect on the screen or LCD while it is activated? I thought I would be able to determine if it worked that way, or maybe see the sensor shifting around but I guess it's not like with the Oly bodies. I'll have to take some shots to see if it works.

Thanks in advance.

2. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    UPDATE:
    I've since returned from the store and tried again. Regarding my third question about the IBIS, I guess you can't see it in action through the EVF or LCD but my comparison shots show it's efficacy up to 1/15 sec at 27mm focused on the text on a business card.

The main thing now is the screen evf sharpness, it seemed good overall. The main thing I noticed earlier on smaller text using the shop 17mm lens seemed a bit soft even while focused. I used my own 12-50 kit lens to test it the second time. Zoomed in a bit, text looks good (not totally sharp), but still a bit soft when shooting wide angle. I've checked the results on my PC and they seem fine. I don't know if this is normal for this evf, I'm worried it might present an issue with manual focusing which I forgot to test while at the store. I have more time to check this now but any other input would be appreciated.

One more thing, I noticed when the review picture pops up after taking a shot, rotating the dials during this review period either shifts through saved images or magnifies the image. Is this a normal thing for the GX7, is ther a way to turn this off?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi- I owned a GX7 for a short while but didn't really gel with it so moved it on. A few comments:

- The EVF is not great IMHO. Functional but not up to the E-M1 etc. I found the 16:9 aspect ratio meant that regular still images at 4:3 looked small and the "tunnel effect" wasn't great either. However, I always found it sharp. Remember that if you're shooting in bad light that the senor sensitivity is bumped up so things will look less sharp then in daylight.

- The IBIS is pretty poor. Not only does it not stabilise the viewfinder image, but I found it not very effective.

- The shutter causes blurring (shutter shock) at certain speeds. The electronic shutter of course fixes it.

Having said all of that, it delivers great IQ and it has some nice features. I particularly liked the AF implementation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks PDK, I just sold my E-m10 so I can't do a direct comparison but I remember that was a pretty good and sharp EVF. The color is great but it's just the sharpness I'm worried about for when I'm focusing. The pics I took turned out sharp where i focused and noticed the softness through the EVF.

I don't know if there is a way to test the evf sharpness. Like I've mentioned I've only noticed the smaller text in the frame I was composing to be a bit soft despite the green square showing the area is in focus. I was in a bit of a hurry when I tested but I guess I could go back and see if the playback shows a sharp image in the EVF.

I've got some at 1/20 very blurry with IBIS and one at 1/10 which is as good as I've seen with my oly bodies at the same focal length. A few in between with a lot more blur than I'd like.
    I also noticed a lot more blur or doubling (vertical and horizontal), with the IBIS turned off even at speeds I can normally hand hold quite decent like 1/13 and 1/15. Maybe I just need to hold it better.

One more question, I did the steps for the service menu at least eight times and just could not get it to show. I've done it on different GX-7's in the past without much problems. On other bodies too, I usually get it on the first or second try. I'm probably just doing it wrong but this being a parallel import, I'm a little worried this might be indicative of something off. Maybe a hack or something like that to change it from it's original langue set for a different market, to English and Chinese, if that's even possible.

5. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Two things for this:
    • If the review time period is too long, you can change it to a shorter review period or disable it.
    • Depress the shutter slightly before rotating any dials to reset the mode from review to shooting.
    As for EVF sharpness, I've not noticed such an issue, but then my eyes aren't all that great and for critical focusing I use focus-peaking anyway. Stabilization works great for me, I definitely get more keepers than I would have in pre-stabilization days. Shutter-shock is not an issue on any of my lenses except for the p14-140II, and I'm still trying to figure out which shutter speed range is susceptible -- till then I'm just shooting with the electronic shutter and not worrying much about it. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    From what I remember Panasonic bodies have a minumum review period of 1 sec, not 1/5 sec or whatever it is with Oly bodies. I don't recall this happening with my GF3 or the GX1 that I used for a few months but maybe I just didn't notice.

WIth the EVF, my issue is I can't tell if it's a sharpness thing with the screen or the diopter. I have it maxed out to the right and it felt good until I started focusing and thinking maybe some of the focused text could be sharper. It probably won't help my situation but I'll drop by a panasonic showroom nearby and have a look at the gm5 and gx8 again to see

Also, is the AF/AE lock button supposed to feel softer than the other buttons? I noticed this yesterday, it's responsive and everything but doesn't have the same resistance as the other. I'm worried this could be another thing that might fail on the camera. Just trying to make sure everything is as it should be, I'd hate to have to pay a 100usd service fee for parallel imports over something like this.

7. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    With "picture in picture" (PIP) focus magnification (set to activate with any custom button) and even focus peaking in top. The Gx7 is a wonderful camera to use with MF lenses. So quick and easy, never found the EVF lacking for this.
    I imaging G7 & Gx8 to be just as good. Well GX8 even better with its amazing EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    That's correct, one second is the fastest available review time before disabling review altogether. Two seconds is the default for the GX7, and the default for the GX1 is 1 sec , which is probably why you never noticed it. I used to switch my GX7's auto review to 1 sec until I discovered the partial shutter depress/mode cancellation trick.

Yeah, it feels a little different from the smaller function buttons, a little softer with less click.

Hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys. I finally pulled the trigger today. Everything seems to work good, SC just under 2k and as far as I can tell it's only three months old (original receipt and first clock set date match on the service menu), which is nice especially since I was considering paying more for a slightly scratched used one at another store.

I still notice some slight softness when focusing sometimes but menu letters and playback on the viewfinder is clear and crisp. Magnification when using focus assist also seems sharp so I guess the softness is down to my eyesight or the small size of the EVF.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Petermfiore

Petermfiore New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2015
    You can turn the review off instantly by tapping the shutter button half way...so it can be as short as you like.

Peter

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016