1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quick GX1 question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wolf, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I really wanna buy the GX1, but I would prefer the silver version over the black.
    However atm they only sell that version in the UK.

I'd like to know if the language setting can be set to Dutch in the UK version of the GX1.

thanks

2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm sure the silver one is available in the UK,certainly in Jessops

3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    That's odd, they do sell the silver GX1 in some other countries, but I do see amazon.de & .fr don't have the silver ones.

The UK Amazon site can solve the problem, I see MediaMarkt.nl has only manual zoom silver kit (DMW-GX1KEG-K).

Did you want the power-zoom or body only?

4. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Hehe, I think I didn't formulate my question well.

I live in Belgium, but here they don't sell the grey version.
    The only place i've seen it available is in the UK.

I would like to know if the UK version of the GX1 has the Dutch language (I don't think so after checking panasonic decreption).

Second question
    Does anybody know an online shop in Holland, France, Germany that sells the GX1 body in grey ?

and final quick question, does the GX1 have the same battery as the GF2 and the GH2 ?

thanks ;)

5. 13Promet

13Promet Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2011
    Milano
    Yes, it's the same battery as the GF2 :smile:

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    UK Spec GX1

Hi Wolf,

I have the UK GX1 and it does NOT offer Dutch as a language choice so suspect you will have to go for an EU version.:sad010:

Good luck

7. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Darn...
    I don't mind English that much, but i prefer my native language.
    Also if I sell it one day it'll be easier to sell when it has the native language.

I really don't know why the grey isn't available over here in Belgium, or in other country in Western Europe besides the UK :-S

8. garryf

garryf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    Only place to get silver at start of year was Jessops, they had it as an exclusive,

maybe they got euro rights but only sell it in UK :)

9. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Use idealo.de or .fr or google.be to look for online shops that deliver to Belgium. I listed further up mediamarkt.nl, but I can't tell if they deliver to Belgium.

Could you share which specific GX1 kit you're looking for, not all shops have all versions? GX1 body only, with manual zoom, with power zoom? Easier to find a place that has it!

10. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    I'm looking for the GX1 body (silver)

But I'm also looking at the GH2 now.
    Is the GH2 sensor better then the GX1 sensor (or equal) ?
    how about the AF speed ?
    Another question, is a GH3 something for the near future ?

11. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I see some of the usual companies on idealo.de have the silver GX1 body, however it appears to be slightly cheaper on Amazon UK.

Now regarding the EVF cameras: The G3 has the same exact sensor as the GX1, the GH2 has a different and technically slightly better sensor, but I have no first-hand experience with it. Check out the DXOMark sensor comparison for these 3 cameras.

GH3 is supposedly going to be announced at Photokina in September

The GH2 is very good & the G3 is definitely a good deal, the body is under 400EUR from Amazon, but you have to consider if that's the style of :43: camera you want.

For me it wasn't, since I wanted a smaller camera that doesn't resemble a DSLR. If I were to need an EVF or use telephoto and adapted lenses I would probably choose the G3 for its low price or the Olympus OM-D E-M5 coming out in 1 month.

12. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Well i just received my 45-200m, a nice lens (though i have yet to test it more profound)

It works quite well on the GF2 for me, though i'd be nicer on a slightly bigger body

I had a look at the G3 but it's too much plastic
    How is the GH2 body material wise ?

The cheapest price is found for the GH2 is 750 euro (with kitlens)
    The GX1 is around 550 euro without lens

I'm also keeping my eye on the OM-5, which will cost about 1199 euro
    But I do have to admit that I prefer working with Panasonic colours and bodies