Quick Forum Poll: Where Do You Buy New Photo Gear

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wanted to take a quick forum poll as to where our members tend to buy most of your new photo gear (excluding used sales). Please only choose one.
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Sort of two places, I generally get things locally if the price is over 1k and overseas if it's less(due to duty/tax on incoming mail, there are exceptions such as the E-5... the local price offered by Olympus was a joke, I could have got two from overseas...). The vast majority of stuff is B&H though as their shipping is far far far more reasonable than most other places and their customer service is good, I'm not worried about returning something if I need to.

It's sort of changed from the past though without Olympus worldwide warranty... previously I didn't care if something was from overseas, now I have to take it into account... it has been a huge loss.
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    The poll did not make the migration. I am not usually in this sub-forum but I have switched entirely to B&H. However, given the photograph websites that I visit I have to remind myself to dump my cookies and click through Amin's site before placing an order.
  4. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    There's no poll...

For new stuff I have used B&H, Amazon and ebay (eg from Cameta Camera + lots of el cheapos).
    Unfortunately very few things are worth getting locally but my latest lens was bought online here in Oz (CameraPro).

Edit. whoops, old thread...probably not relevant anymore
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Locally, I buy from Midwest Photo Exchange. If buying from the web, my usual stops are Olympus, B&H, or Adorama.

For those interested in where I buy used, usually from KEH.
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    If I had to pick one, it's B&H, hands down. I've bought from others, second might be Amazon, but it's a distant second at best.
  7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Either Amazon or B&H.

There's no local source. The nearest true camera store is a 3.5-4hr drive, but that's life when you live on an island 90 miles from the mainland. At least we have a road back to the mainland, though I only leave the island chain once or twice a year.
  8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Having been a store owner once I like to support local businesses, but local camera stores have become an endangered species here. I bought my 5D Mark II locally from Penn Camera before Calumet bought them out and closed the doors. With them gone, I drove about 2.5 hours each way to buy my a7R from Cardinal Camera outside of Philadelphia. My GF1 and E-M1 both came from Amazon.
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Most of my stuff is bought used from private parties. My preference is the buy/sell forum here, next is local CraigsList on the rare occasions where something I want shows up there, last place is eBay which has become increasingly arrogant and hostile to both sellers and buyers. On the rare occasions where I've bought new it is either Amazon or B&H. I've bought small stuff also from Adorama, though nothing big that I recall. No particular reason for that; it's just the way it's worked out. I think they are a good vendor too.
  10. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I really like to support local stores as long as they are competitive. If I can buy locally for the same price (inc shipping) as I can buy from the internet then it's a no brainer, I'll buy locally. If it's within a couple of percent - again locally. After that, I'm looking for who's got it in stock at the best price inc delivery.

Of course, it also depends on the price. Example, I bought a tiny tripod locally for 20% more than I could get it on the internet because I could go touch it, feel it, walk out of the store with it. But bigger items like cameras and lenses then price plays a big part.
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I purchase from whoever has the best deal. If everyone is same, I've always had great luck with Adorama.
  12. Ix4224

Ix4224 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    I generally either buy from Adorama or B&H for larger purchases, usually prefer Adorama just because they're the smaller of the two.

If the price is competitive/for smaller things(accessories like bags, batteries), then I'll buy from a local store.
  13. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Same here (25 years in high end camera store sales and management) but where I live, camera stores long ago passed the point of being "endangered". They've been totally extinct for several decades.
  14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    If buying second hand....eBay.
    If buying new....CameraPro in Brisbane.
  15. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Be sure to delete any photos on the cards. You never know what it has been used for at a private party!