1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Quick Erase setting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robert Watcher, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Coming from Nikon D200 cameras, one feature that I wasn't fussy of when purchasing my Olympus E-3 was that I had to view an image by pressing the Playback button before I could erase it. With the Nikon I could hit the erase button and the last image was gone.

In actual fact - once I got used to the new way of erasing (which I seldom do as much with the larger cards available), it hasn't really been something that I pay much attention to. However I ended up coming across a tidbit of information recently that explained the Menu settings so that I now can instantly erase my undesired E-3 images with a simple press of the erase button. In actual fact, I doubt that reading the manual would have lead me to this solution - - - and it is one that I have never seen explained on the web before.

Here is how it is done:

E-3 like E-5: Please set in menu (E-3) the options:

- 1H: Quick Erase = ON
    - 1H: PRIORITY SET to "Yes"
    ( = "You can customize the initial position of the cursor ([YES] or [NO]) on the [ALL ERASE] or
    [FORMAT] screen)

- 2: REC View = auto

Then you can erase pictures immediately after the shot (manual "Displays the image being recorded, and then switches to playback mode. This is useful for erasing a picture after checking it.)

This valuable piece of information came in the comments section of an E-5 Review Article by Robin Wong : Robin Wong: Olympus E-5 Review: Concluding Remarks and More Images

I am so greatful to Michael Lindner for being thoughtful enough to post that useful infomation. And I figure that the odds of finding it in a comments section that I may never normally have read, is pretty amazing.

OH and the E-PL1!

As for the Quick Erase function described above . . .

. . . fortunately Olympus Menu system follows a similar approach on it's different camera models - - - and I have just used the above method on my Olympus E-PL1 and now have the same Quick Erase functionality.

------

One thing that I have altered for my own preference, is to set Quick Erase = OFF. I just got thinking that it may be easy for me to bump the erase button on my E-3 and toss a shot when I wasn't intending to. By changing the setting to Quick Erase = OFF while Priority Set = On - - - it then requires a two step process using 2 different keys, but is very quick. So I still do not have to press the Replay (preview) button to be able to erase an image. All that is required is a hit of the Erase button to pop up the screen with the cursor set to YES and then hit the OK button to erase the image. Just a little extra safety for my fast paced shooting style I think.

--------

2. nishendu

nishendu Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I do not care for quick erase as I really like to see anything that I am about to delete. Too many regrets!

3. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Maybe it's old age, but I don't trust myself to delete anything until after I've downloaded from the card.

As a "by-the-way," I've now taken a tip from a workflow discussion in a Luminous Landscape video tutorial: They suggest that memory cards should be reformatted in the camera each time (rather than just deleting the material).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.