Quick-draw battery holders for Panasonic

Gsansoucie

Mu-43 Rookie
This is a great idea. My 3D printer has a limit on size, but I only need to hold two Olympus batteries max (Plus Fuji if I am carrying my X100f, but with in body charging, I’ve never needed a spare). Way cheaper at $10 to just buy one if it existed, but I like the challenge in OnShape.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One little nitpick from the video is that he implies that the "discharged" batteries' exposed contacts are not an issue for shorting. Granted, less energy is now stored in the discharged battery, but there is still voltage and energy storage so the potential for (worse case) fire or battery damage.

Since I normally only carry one spare battery with me for short outings or two if out all day, my simple method is a little card with "Dead" written on one side, "Charged" written on the other, and a rubber band. Normally I don't cover the contacts but, as shown, a little post-it note folded over the end works fine. Basically zero cost and parts are easily replaced as needed.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I need to change batteries, the fresh battery goes into the camera and the card (now flipped over to the "dead" side) and rubber band go on the discharged battery and back in my pocket.

I do like his printed holders but A) I don't normally carry that many batteries and B) I often carry my spare in my jeans pocket so the holder is too bulky. Great for those who normally carry a photo bag though.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Agree about covering the battery contacts.

I use a battery wallet, since I have to carry up to 4 or 5 batteries for a full day of shooting.
I reverse the used battery; so that the contacts are protected, and I can easily see which battery is used.
In the pic below, the battery on the left is "used/discharged." The battery on the right is fully charged.
The numbered colored dot makes it easy to see a reversed battery.

1590861851004.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Because of the shape of some batteries, I can see how they would not be reversible in his holder, vs. the flexible wallet pouch.

Notes on the colored numbered dots in the pic:
  • Colored dots correspond to different cameras. So I can easily match up batteries to their cameras.
    • If you have similar looking batteries for different cameras, the colored dots help to quickly match up battery to camera.
      • Orange battery to orange camera, green battery to green camera.
    • In my school, the kids would put/shove the wrong battery into the cameras. :eek:
      • The Canon T5 and T7 use slightly different size batteries.
      • The problem comes when the kids SHOVE the bigger battery into the camera with the smaller battery, and the bigger battery gets STUCK. That happened at least three times, and once we almost could not get the battery out.
        • Some of the kids don't understand that, if they have to SHOVE the battery in, HOW will they get it out???? :confused:
      • BTW, this is the same issue with swollen batteries, and why you should not use them. A swollen battery can get stuck in the camera, and how will you get it out?
  • The number on the dot, makes it easy to keep track of batteries.
    • If a particular battery starts to give shorter run time, it can be identified and replaced.
      • Another problem we have in school. The kids were told to carry a spare battery, in case the battery dies on them.
      • If it is the same battery dying quickly, the that battery is bad and should be replaced, NOT kept in use.
    • I use my batteries in sequential order, so all batteries get evenly used.
  • The POSITION of the dot is matched to a dot on the camera.
    • For the rectangular Olympus battery this is important to installing the battery correctly.
      • A shaped battery like on the Nikon dSLR can only be installed in one orientation.
    • The dot is off-set to one side of the battery, as seen in the pic.
    • There is a similar dot on the cover of the battery compartment on the camera, and it is also off-set to one side.
    • When I install the battery, I align the off-set dots, and the battery is properly oriented.
Note, this is an issue that I never had to deal with before.
The battery on my Nikon dSLR would last the entire weekend + Monday. So I have NEVER had to switch to the spare battery.
The spare battery was finally used, when the 1st battery was "worn out" after 60,000+ shots.​
With m4/3, depending on camera and lens, the battery life is as short as 2-1/2 hours. So I have to carry and use spare batteries.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Nice idea, but too bulky. Don't like to take up a compartment where there would be a lens or something. I put my batteries in a pocket. Charged, contacts in. Used, contacts out. Simple. If he made one that was flat and carried 3 side by side instead of front to back, I'd be more interested.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Been using these for years now - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859449-REG/Think_Tank_968_DSLR_Battery_Holder_2.html

Come in 2 or 4 battery holders. I put the full ones with contacts down and empty ones with contacts up and works fine. I use grenade pouches on the waist belt of my pack and can drop two of the two battery holders into the pouch for quick and easy changes when in the field. Will typically have one in my pocket since I tend to drop my pack and procced to sneak up to things without it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom