1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Quick decision E-P1 or E-PL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by confuseddotcom, Nov 28, 2010.

1. confuseddotcom

confuseddotcom New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2010
    HI,

I have the oppurtunity for an E-P1 in silver/silver with 14-42 lens new for £329

or

A E-PL1 in silver with black same lens as above £289.

Anyone out there now can help?

Never had an SLR but love the style of the pen. I have an old 35mm olympus SLR in loft my dad gave me with some massive lens tlephoto zoom etc can these be used i guess not?

Which do i choose only difference i can see is a lack of flash and build quality, the reviews i have read are way over my head at the moment.

use will be for family and when i go climbing. i run osx and windows if that makes any difference!

thanks look forward to getting onr or other!

stu

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Stu,
    If your even thinking about those old lenses...
    Get the PL1

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Both great cameras. Try before you buy if you can.

All the best,

Colin

4. Both Streetshooter and Fiddler have offered good advice to you. In previous replies, I've remarked about my favoring an E-P2 over my wife's E-PL1, mostly due to the control over aperture, shutter and iso that is more convenient with the thumbwheel and dial on the P2 (and E-P1!)

There are a number of other features that each of your choices offer you. You really should review other previous threads here to get your answers. Both cameras are great and should not disappoint. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Burkey

Burkey Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Northern New England
    Good advice all around. The E-PL1 will give the option of the EVF later. Good luck
    . . . Burkey

• Like Like x 1
  6. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    If you use A and S mode in all your shooting then P1 is for you. Frustrating to change Aperture and speed on PL1.
    The only reason I would consider the PL1 is the viewfinder but you'll have to pay some $250 extra to get that. BTW: the viewfinder is amazing. Best I've ever seen. The GH1's viewfinder is a joke compared with Olympus.

• Like Like x 1
  7. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    I went for the E-PL1. While I would prefer to have the control dials of the E-P1, the built-in flash pushes the E-PL1 in front, especially since you can bounce it (reduces that whitewashed flash picture look). There are also some image quality improvements in the E-PL1 (does better in low light, apparently), and I like the option for an electronic viewfinder although haven't purchased one yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The epl-1 will give you better low light, and more precise AF when using the smaller AF box. And indoor, the flash will help out in allot of situation. And if you ever get fancy you can use the internal flash as a wireless TTL control for off camera flash.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Burkey

Burkey Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2010
    Northern New England
    the smaller AF box on the E-Pl1?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Have fun with your excellent new camera!

All the best,

Colin

11. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
  12. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010