quick comment on my new Panny lenses

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dko22, Sep 1, 2010.

1. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    recently back from a short holiday in Sutherland and Orkney when I got the chance to use my new set of 7-14, 20 14-45 and 45-200. The 20 is an absolute cracker --probably the crispest lens I've ever used. The 7-14 grinds any UWA from Sigma on Nikon I've tried in this sort of range into the dust, the resolution is just so much finer. The 14-45 kit was of course good enough to encourage me to explore further.

The 45-200 is perhaps the most controversial. I can say straight off that my copy at any rate can be razor sharp at 200mm and even wide open seems perfectly competent. The problem of course is keeping the camera steady handheld. Even with a seemingly steady image using OIS mode 1, I would not rely on a sharp image under about 1/150 near to max zoom. I suspect that Canikon telezooms have superior IS (though I can't find examples in my own collection of 70-300 sharp images under 1/100 with the D700 and D200 attempts at around 1/30 were generally far from successful -anyway, not being usually a wildlife or sports shooter, I don't very often use long tele). I have found the odd example which seemed more unsharp than expected, taking into account the shutter speed but I'm still looking into this --recent tests appear to give more consistency. Would be very interested in feedback on this lens --any specific do's and don't's!

So just a small handful of shots from my holiday including all the lenses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David

PS my girlfriend has rather taken a fancy to the G1, having previously been left cold by DSLR's so I guess she will get that when the next supersensor cam is out and affordable

• Like Like x 6
  2. SW-GF1

SW-GF1 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010
    Bude, Cornwall
    Really like the look of the place you stayed. Love the bed hidden behind the curtain, just the sort or quaint and homely place you want to stay in the Orkneys!!! Did it have a real fire? :)

3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    You used the lenses to great effect :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Having the same lens set as you on both the GF1 and the G1 I agree 100% with your assessment. The 20 and the 7-14 are belters and the 14-45 is pretty crisp too.

I find the 45-200 frustrating, yet it is capable of turning up some very crisp shots. These two are hand held at 200mm and f5.6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and yet at other times, in seemingly identical situations it produces soft images. I also find it vignettes quite badly in some situations:

[​IMG]

The 45-200 makes much more sense on the G1 than the GF1 because of the handling issues, even with the EVF on the GF1.

I don't have any specific dos or don'ts but I always try to stop the 45-200 down to f8 if I can just to try and extract that bit more crispness.

All things considered I'm very happy with my lens collection, having moved from Canon 50D and L glass I have no regrets (and a lot more photographs because I have the kit with me :wink:)

5. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I have to say that for someone who frequently stays in Youth Hostels, this place was the height of luxury --a suite in a converted mill B&B. It was the only room they had left but I got it at a very reasonable price and it's the most characterful place probably I've stayed in. Orkney in general seems to have good food, good accommodation and nice people and the scenery started to grow on me too! Not a real fire in the bedroom at any rate.

6. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I have run more tests on this lens to try and master it a bit better. Although often wide open the results are fine, going above at least f7.1 seems to give more consistency. Most recently I tried both manual and auto focus and found no problems with the autofocus or any seriously unsharp shots. In fact I haven't found any shots (except one in Orkney for some reason which may have an innocent explanation) where the focus was plainly wrong and i am inclined to guess that the OIS perhaps play up occasionally. However, when there is a clear contrasty subject to focus on, the success rate is near 100% so perhaps after all, despite confirmation, the focus sometimes just doesn't read properly. The best test is of course to use a tripod and switch off OIS. Only problem is that I am not in the real world normally a tripod user and certainly wouldn't carry one on a hike.

To be honest, I'm not convinced I have any more unsharp shots with the 45-150 than any other tele lens. My Nikon 70-300 wasn't often esp. good at long range and the 18-200 was so erratic in general that I stopped using it after about 6 months. Nevertheless, the fact that I can't think of a single fuzzy image with the 14-45 at 45 and there have been one or two at 45 with the 45-150 still makes me a tad suspicious.

Finally, as already stated, you can't expect miracles with the OIS. Unsharp shots at faster than 1/200 are very rare