Quick action clips for camera strap

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by banj911, Nov 12, 2014.

1. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    I have recently taken off the neck camera strap that came with my E-M1 and attached a wrist strap, which is great, but I'd like the option of quickly reattaching the neck strap if required.

Does anybody have any ideas for a small sturdy clips that can be left on the ends of the strap and quickly attached to the body lugs, perhaps a small carabiner style?

I'd prefer not to have key rings or the like hanging off the lugs, so the clips would need to be small enough to clip into the lugs directly.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

Bandy

2. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1 on Peak Design. I use the leash and cuff constantly, and the capture clip for hiking/multi body switching.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Look at Op/tech. They have a neat quick release on their straps.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    The best easily-available setup I know of is the Op/Tech: http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-M...8&qid=1415824048&sr=1-3&keywords=optech+quick I am not a fan of plastic for things like this, but AFIK it has been successful in the field.

The Peak "Leash" mentioned above is somewhat more attractive but much more expensive. Also, IIRC that product just went through an emergency redesign where they stopped shipping for a couple of months due to problems with its spring. Obviously they now think the problem is fixed but remember that the guys with the arrows in their chests are the early adopters in any new thing. I would give it 3-6 months before committing to that one.

Re stuff on the lugs, for many years I have made pigtails of one sort or another. Most commonly I have made them from braided nylon cord. One end of the cord is braided into the lug, then there is a couple of inches of cord, then hanging below the camera body is a QR fastener or a neck strap ring. The benefit of this is that you have effectively nothing under your hands/between your hands and the body of the camera. Unfortunately the cord loops on the Op/Tech clips aren't quite long enough on their own, but you could add a loop of nylon cord, attach that to the lug, then attach the Op/Tech cord to the loop. That would lower the clip below the point where it would be between your hand and the camera.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The Peak Leash and Cuff never had any problems, and it's not a 'new' product - I've been using it for a good long while.

The problem was with the early run of Slide and Clutch units, and the add-on quick release systems to use with those, due to a manufacturing flaw that they're fixed. The original run of Leash and Cuff (which I have, and a later run because they got stolen) don't have any such troubles and work a real treat.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Sorry if I got the product name wrong. The problem was with their little button connection system, specifically the spring in the plastic do-dad that the button snaps into. I said "Leash" because I see pictures of them on the "Leash." Considering that it was bad enough that they stopped shipping, I would still be cautions. That's what being an experienced engineer will do to you.

8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    +1 for Op-Tech. I've been using their straps and clips for a couple of years and they've been flexible, reliable, and relatively inexpensive. I don't use neck straps anymore, having found them uncomfortable. I've settled on using a cross-body sling strap (their utility sling) and their wrist strap. I hang the camera from the left strap lug with a loop connector and leave the wrist strap on the right lug with another loop connector. I sometimes unclip the camera from the sling and use it only with the wrist strap. I also use their accessory straps and loop connectors to make a strap that hangs from my camera sling bags that I can clip the camera to in place of a sling or neck strap. Saves having multiple straps hanging from my neck or shoulders. The Op-Tech system is well thought out and very flexible.

Op-Tech USA - http://optechusa.com/

9. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
    Awesome feedback guys, plenty of food for thought there.

Now, the challenge will be to find something without the "Too bad you live in Australia and have to pay heaps more" tax!

Cheers

Bandy

10. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I have the Op-Tech connectors on my E-M5 right now, and there's one small thing I've noticed. When I use the wrist strap (which is usually my preferred strap), something about the way I hold the camera pulls the cord of the connector across the arrow wheel controls on the back of the camera. (I'm aware there's a real name for the button-surrounded-by-arrow-buttons thing, but it seems to have fallen through a hole in my brain at the moment.) This makes settings change unexpectedly, which can be annoying, and which was puzzling until I figured out what was happening.

Not a reason not to use the Op-Techs, but something to be aware of if you're using them or a similar connector and notice unintentional setting changes.

I have a set of the Nite-Ize locking clips, which seem sturdy enough to trust for normal use, and are cheap (at least in the US). I just haven't gotten around to trying them.

Here's a link to a report of the problems with the Peak Design anchors, which shows a picture of a failed anchor clip. I think Peak Design may recently have found a fix for the problem, but I'm having Internet issues at the moment and can't get the relevant pages to load.

If you're interested in the Peak Design anchor system, you don't necessarily have to use a PD strap. They've started selling the anchors by themselves.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Are you sure it's the cord and not the plastic piece that is pushing the button? IMO, the loop on the OpTechs is too short, so the connector does not hang below the camera. I have seen this same thing with some too-short pigtails that I made (and have since reworked.) The fitting ended up between my palm and the back of the camera and it started pushing buttons. If you just make a little loop of nylon cord as I mentioned above and use it to extend the OpTech fitting to below the camera body, that may solve the problem.

12. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    When I noticed it, it seemed to be the cord, but it could be the plastic piece as well. Still, it wouldn't hurt to fiddle with it to see if making the cord a little longer helps. Thanks for the idea!

13. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
  14. banj911

banj911 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2014
    QLD Australia
  15. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I bought a couple of plastic lobster clips off ebay for a few bucks and attached them to the neck strap ends. Only cost a few bucks.

51PtOMXl27L._SX425_.

16. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Those look just like the ones I had on a strap. They are not locked into position, but are only held shut by a spring, and can flip open. That is what happened to me, and my telephoto lens was broken into three pieces.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. I don't like that style for the same reason.

There is another IMO more reliable style, though, that is a pair of interlocking hooks. I just bought a package of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321452949648 for use with key rings. These particular ones have a fairly stiff spring* holding the hooks in position. I personally don't care for them as camera hardware but you could certainly use them with split rings on the camera lugs and probably have no issues other than all that hardware between your hand and the camera.

*Stiff enough that I put a tiny drop of light gun oil on the spring to smooth out the action.