Questions on Panasonic 25mm Seating on Olympus OMD E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tbr48, Mar 27, 2013.

1. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    I just got a Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 for use with EM5. I found the lens to take really sharp photos as most who use this lens have reported. I do have a question on how the lens seats on the EM5. I find it somewhat stiff to mount on the camera body. I line up the red dots, and holding down the lens locking button seat the lens turning it clockwise until it clicks into place. The lens turns quite stiffly. Is this normal?

Also, if I turn just a hair too far clockwise, the locking pin on the body apparently doesn't quite click completely into place. When this happens, I find that when I turn the camera on, the displays, either screen or EVF, don't show any images. If I turn the lens back counter-clockwise, it moves ever so slightly, and I can hear the pin click as it fully extends into the lens. Everything then works fine. Being new to the EM-5 is this to be expected? I am wondering if this is normal when a Panasonic lens is used on an Olympus body.
  2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Tight is probably ok on a lens mount.

There is no need to hold in the locking button when mounting a lens. If you just twist the lens on, it will click into the stop by itself. By holding in the lock, you're not allowing the lens to find its natural stop.

Honestly, you only need to hold in the button long enough to release the lens from its stop when removing a lens.

3. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks for the tip Paul.
  4. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    Completely normal. I also tend to press the release button inadvertently when I hold the camera by the lens. Sometimes I turn it on with a black screen and black evf but I just turn the lens back a little and click everything is back to normal. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Enjoy, it's a very nice lens