Questions for EM5 II owners

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by laser8, Mar 27, 2015.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Hi there,

I am thinking about the new EM5 and must confess, too lazy to read the manual (I have read/watched quite some reviews but could not find the proper answers - hope someone can help).

I currently own a GX7 and one of the things I love most is the possibility to change focus point by touching the screen. Is that available on the MkII?

I suppose there's also the option to set the LCD/EVF to show the exact exposure (WYSIWYG), can that be confirmed?

Also, I have been spoiled by the various corrections applied to the RAW file (CA and so on) to the Pana lenses - does the MKII apply the corrections or would I have to tick the proper LR boxes when importing the RAWs?

Is there a way to set quick custom WB by pointing at something white like with the GX7?

And one last question, I read there's an energy saving mode that turns the screens off as soon as you move the eye, can anyone comment on the battery life improvements it makes?

Many thanks for your help!

2. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    Answers to your questions:
    1) You can change focus points by touching the screen. By default touching the screen changes the focus AND takes a picture, but you can change this behavior on the fly.
    2) It is pretty WISIWYG (and configurable). My favorite thing is the feature that highlights over exposure and shadows in white and red.
    3) Not sure about how it works with PANA lenses, but it does seem to apply corrections to Oly lenses. Someone else can comment on this.
    4) Yes, you can set a button to be quick auto white balance, just take a pic of something white, and you are off to the races.
    5) I have heard you can get >700 shots with this mode. Have not tested it myself. It is actually on by default, turning the screen around, or turning off live view from the LCD kicks this mode in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Both yes and no. Oly does apply corrections to the RAW files just as Pana does. However, having previously owned 4 Pana bodies, my experience is you need to apply CA correction slightly more often as a Oly owner (I have tried both with Oly and Pana lenses on both bodies btw).
    4. Yes.
    5. I don't use the quick sleep mode, IMHO it's annoying.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I went from GX7 to M5.2 too. SGs answers are right. Oly bodies don't do CA on pany lenses, not sure about oly lenses.

5. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    What I do not think the E-M5ii does is allow you use the touchscreen to change the AF point with your thumb/finger while the EVF is active. I loved the ability to do this on the GX7. While using the EVF, it made moving the AF point around so much faster than the directional pad. I wonder if this capability is available via a firmware update.

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I love that too but don't think any Olympus camera can do it