Questions before trading up to a new E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Replytoken, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I have been considering an OM-D E-M5 for the last few months, I have not fully taken to it enough to spend $950-$1,000. I was goign to continue saving some funds, possibly for whatever may be released this spring/summer, but was presented with an opportunity today that seems like a good solution for me.

At present, I have three bodies: a G3, a GF3 and a refurbished E-PL2 with a VF-2 viewfinder. I purchased the GF3 with a 14mm lens, mostly for the lens, but thought that a compact body would be nice to throw into a brief case. I have carried it at times, but it has almost never really been used. I tend to use the G3 for its better sensor, but I am also partial to the E-PL2, albeit I find its button layout a bit too cramped for my shooting style.

So, I now have the chance to trade both the GF3 and the E-PL2 and some cash for a brand new E-PL5. Besides the frequent complaints about the E-PL5's screen ratio, which does not bother me as I will mostly use the VF-2, are there any other negatives I need to account for before pulling off this trade? I like the way the screen folds out on the E-PL5, so that is not an issue for me. This seems like a no-brain deal, and I am fine with two bodies instead of three, as the E-PL5 is almost as small as the GF3, and a lot smaller than the E-PL2. Any thoughts?

--Ken

2. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I have the E-PL5 for a while now and really like it. It does take some time getting use to the Olympus interface though. It seems like you have to go thru quite a few button presses to get to the settings you want. Other than that, I love the camera and it love the pictures it takes.

3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I'm not sure how much different the menu system is in the E-PL2 from the E-PL5, but Olympus has never been known for making camera adjustments easy, so I am sure once I get the SCP activated, I'll be OK. Its switching from Panasonic to Olympus and back that drives me crazy.

--Ken

4. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    For me the main difference between the EM-5 and EPL-5 is the EM-5s awesome IBIS. I've read where some people want the smallest focus box from the EPL-5 on the EM-5 and of course there are several more buttons and another dial on the EM-5 and probably not cramped. I've never had the EPL-2 so I don't know how closely the back of the EPL-5 and 2 are to each other.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It sure seems like a reasonable proposition to me, Ken.

The E-PL5 is an unalloyed upgrade to the E-PL2 in just about every way I can think of -- the only place that comes to mind where the E-PL2 has an advantage is its built in flash and the way it collapses in such a way that it can be pointed upward to bounce off the ceiling. I can't think of any other E-PL2 features you might miss.

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, I did forget to mention the flash. Now I am wondering if the E-PL5 can remotely trigger my FL-600R without its clip-on flash? It is not a deal breaker, but I would like to keep that port open for the VF-2 if possible.

--Ken

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    True, I am giving up the E-M5's incredible IBIS. But then again, according to Thom Hogan's review, I should not have to worry about sending an E-PL5 in to Olympus to have its sensor cleaned since it is not "floating" like in the E-M5. It's a small consolation prize, though, as the E-M5 is an amazing camera.

--Ken

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I think the E-PL5 requires the clip-on flash to trigger a remote flash. This makes flash and EVF an either/or prospect on this camera, AFAIK. Bear in mind I'm neither a strobist nor an E-PL5 user, so there may be another way.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I started my mft journey with the EPL5 and have recently added an OMD. The OMD wins on much better IBIS, in-built EVF (essential if you want to do flash + EVF) and ergonomics (more wheels - means you can do all you need without removing your eye from the viewfinder). Having said that, the EPL5 is fantastic as a compact, high quality camera when coupled with a small prime. For me, I use the OMD when I'm into more serious work (flash, using longer lenses) and the EPL5 when I want to be more portable. The fact they share the same great lenses and the same sensor makes it a great mix.

10. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have the epl5 and a 2 and I owned a gf3 for awhile. I like the epl5 better than the gf3. Leaving aside the better sensor of the epl5 for the moment, for me the few extra controls, tilting screen, and evf port on the epl5 are wins over the gf3. In addition to the better sensor, this made me prefer the epl5 over the gf3. Compared to the epl2, the epl5 has faster af, a better sensor, and slightly smaller body, but the downside is that you have to choose between evf and flash. The clipon flash is required if you want to trigger external strobes, but so far, that's the only thing I miss off the epl2, and since I only use remote flash occasionally, I don't mind switching the flash for the evf that much. Of course, ymmv.

11. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    The EVF is the wildcard. Those without one and wanting to use one with a new E-PL5 incur the same expense as an EM-5; assuming the EVF is purchased new.

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Good to hear. This is about what I expected, and it is nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks,

--Ken

13. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would agree. As I have the VF-2, I am incurring no additional cost, and that is a good thing for me right now.

--Ken

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I agree, reading your post helped me put my finger on why I have not yet bought an E-M5. More money generally buys you dedicated controls and buttons on camera bodies. When I moved up to a D300 from a D40 five years ago, I was in heaven, as I could quickly change key settings on the fly without having to delve into the menus. And to this day, I still think that the D300 was designed by my "long lost twin" because it fits into my hands so perfectly.

The E-M5 certainly offers significantly more controls that other Oly bodies, and you would think that I would have purchased one by now because of this. Unfortunately, even the E-M5 suffers the same problem that I have had with my other M4/3rd's bodies - the space on the back of the camera is just too confined for my hands to feel comfortable enough to quickly adjust the controls. I realize that Olympus cannot break the laws of physics, so I have come to the conclusion that if I bought an E-M5, I would be paying a premium for something that I probably would still not find optimal.

Now, if the E-PL5 and the E-M5 were identically priced, I would have to give it some serious consideration. But right now, the prices for bodies only are $550 and $950, and that $400 premium is certainly a factor. I know that I get much more than additional controls, but as bodies seem more and more fleeting, I think that I will be content with an E-PL5, and $400 less spent. If one wanted to look at the $400 as "savings", think if it as a nice start towards the next OM body that Olympus will hopefully release in the next year or two.

--Ken

15. JasonA

JasonA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    I would have gone for the E-PL5 for the price difference, except for the lens rebates expiring this week. The rebate narrows the difference by $150, $300 or $450 if you were going to buy 1, 2 or 3 Olympus primes anyway. To me that made enough of a difference to pull the trigger on the E-M5.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Which is exactly why the clip-on EVF is such a good investment. It works on every Pen camera made except the E-P1, and even works on some Leica cameras! It works on the OM-D as well, though that's kinda redundant. :) I would not say it was an expensive item at all considering how many cameras I've used it on...

At any rate, the E-PL5 is a definite better camera than both your GF-3 and E-PL2 so I would not worry about a thing. :)

17. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    I guess you don't wanna hear this, but I did a little decision making myself a few weeks ago.
    Have a G1,GF1, (both sold now) and E-PL2 and wanted to finally upgrade to the latest m4/3 sensor. So it was E-PL5 vs. E-M5. I went out and handled both cameras for some time.

I really liked the E-PL2's beefy body, and thought the E-PL5 was quite cheaply build in comparison. The OM-D's body is very solid, comfortably heavy, and with not too large hands like mine perfectly sized too. +1 for the flagship.

I used the E-M5 on a recent 4-days-Italy-trip, and although I hardly ever found the lack of external controls of my GF1+E-PL2 too limiting, the shooting experience with the E-M5's external controls was a breeze. So much quicker and exact, nearly as good as a full fletched dSLR. I also have the VF-2 for my E-PL2, but the newer EVF is so much better, espcially in low light. I am quite sensible when it comes to photosensitive effects, and easily get headaches and even nausea when frames are not completely smooth. (Videogames that don't run at a solid 60fps are the worst for me. Need to get fresh air or lay down and close my eyes after an hour.) +1 for the flagship.

Since I was on a somewhat tight budget too, and was holding the purchase off, because I liked the E-M5 so much better and wouldn't settle for the PL5, it helped that I found a body in a huge electronics store sitting in a vitrine that noone bought because it came without lens. Upon asking whether it was for sale (I already have plenty of lenses to use it with) they gladly sold it to me for 700€, which in the end was a no-brainer. E-PL5 is 1€ cheaper ;-) . +1 for the flagship

YMMV but I'd wait a little longer to accumulate more cash and go for the E-M5.

18. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am glad you were able to find a good deal on a camera body that you like, and it is not upsetting me that you did not choose the E-PL5.

I am hoping that lady luck is smiling on me today, because I kept the E-PL2 (too little trade-in value relative to the value of the battery alone), but traded in the GF3. I was going to pick up an E-PL5 body, but the store had just received an E-PL5 kit that they sold last month that looked almost new. It had 1175 on the shutter count, but I have two weeks to decide if I want to trade up to a new body. I am not normally one to buy used electronics, but the price was certainly right, and I know the store will stand by the sale. I am hoping for a bit more sunshine the next few days so I can put the camera through its paces.

I always believe in buying the camera body that you need, but as bodies get refreshed so quickly, good glass is where I like to spend my funds, as lenses tend to have longer lives. The E-M5 is a great camera, but I am sure that the next OM-D release should have equal appeal if I am in the mood to splurge on a body. Assuming this E-PL5 checks out OK, I will consider myself lucky to get a current 16MP body at the price I paid.

--Ken

19. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Now that I'm thinking about it, for someone who is accustomed to a GF3 and E-PL2, the E-PL5, in my opinion, is kind of like someone took the GF3 and E-PL2 bodies and tried the "Will it blend?" challenge with them.

And surprise, they DID blend.

The E-PL5 has AF that seems nice and fast like on the GF3, there's some buttons that seem to be in funny places like on the GF3, and it's small like the GF3, and the screen can do things (besides accumulate fingerprints) when you touch it like on the GF3.

But you can add an EVF (if you want one) like on the E-PL2, there's a proppa mode dial like on the E-PL2, and despite the lack of a built-in flash, the E-PL5 supports wireless TTL operation for compatible flashes if you use the included but diminutive flash (or another hot shoe mounted, wireless compatible master strobe.)

Which is fairly whizz-bang in a body so small, if you ask me, considering that TTL flash was pretty newfangled when I got my first 35mm camera (a K1000, which incidentally, did NOT support TTL flash meterning.)

And yes, to be honest, I like my E-M5 a little better, but I like my E-PL5 almost as much.

20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    What would be the best Olympus viewfinder to use with an E-PM5?

... I read about them and understand now.