Questions about the Oly 45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ssgreenley, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    So, I've decided to go ahead and complete my trinity of primes by buying the 45mm (to accompany my 12 and 20). It's now sitting in my cart on Amazon. I do have a couple of questions, however. I'll be buying it in silver, as I'm not a diva.*

1. Most importantly, where's the link to the Amazon from It doesn't cost me anything extra, and I love this site.

2. Has anyone found a good lens pouch for this lens? It will share a cubby with my 12mm in my bag, and I've heard that the finish scratches somewhat easily.

3. I'm planning on keeping a 37mm to 46mm step up ring on it at all times for filters. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes silver step-up rings?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

*Please note, this is a joke. I'm actually the worst kind of camera diva. I bought my EPL2 in white soley to impress a hipster chick, and the silver lenses look fantastic with it. Also, questions 2 and 3 are clearly shallow and reflect my desire to have a good looking camera.
  2. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    I like the lensbaby shade/step up ring for a hood on the 45. It is not really big enough to be a true hood, but it lives on my lens and allows me to share 52mm polarizer, NDs, etc across all my m4/3 gear.

Affiliate links are on the "Affiliates" tab up at the top.

Let me know if you find a good bag as my 45mm shares a cubby with my 20mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Thanks on the affiliate location!

Yeah, I think the pouch thing is going to be the most difficult--the 45, 12, and 14-42II are all pretty much the same size and are too small for any lens pouches that I've found commercially available. I'm annoyed that not only does Olympus not include one, but they don't even make one that I can buy.
  4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
  5. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    I use zippered neoprene pouches for all my lenses. They come in many sizes and my 14/17/20/14-42 all have one of their own
  6. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I keep my three native lenses in a Remington electric shaver pouch with foam inserts. Best use I've yet found for such a thing.

Good luck with the 45 it is a great lens.
  7. Psalty

Psalty New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2012
  8. ahendarman

ahendarman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I use the Micro Lens Pouch small size mentioned above. I can confirm that it fits the 45mm very well.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I use something that is similar looking, but is a fair bit less expensive:

The extra small works for all m4/3 big primes - it will just fit the 12/2 and 45/1.8s with hoods installed. It is a little big for the pancakes, but the opening cinches down and it still works for me. It looks like the extra small cosmos pouch is sized about the same as the medium version of the micro pouches linked above.
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I have a friend who uses socks, infant/toddler socks would work quite well for ยต4/3 lenses. Probably get'em cheat at the recycle stores (Goodwill et cetera).