1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Questions about the new Panasonic 14-140mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by SnapDuck, Jul 6, 2013.

1. SnapDuck

SnapDuck Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2012
    N. California
    I noticed that Panasonic is releasing a new version of the 14-140mm and I was wondering if anyone has any information about this lens. Will it have better IQ than the previous version? Is it better than the Olympus 14-150?

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I would be interested in the answers also, but I am not sure anyone has one yet.

3. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    It was posted briefly on B&H for preorder and then taken down. The specs were identical to the current version, but lighter by about 20%. The look was also changed to be a matte black. I'm seeing the same thing in the 20mm, the new kit lens, and the new 45-150. My guess is that Panasonic has come up with a new way to construct lenses at a lighter weight (probably at a cheaper cost) and is applying that innovation across the board.

4. Hopefully the new version will be a bit sharper at the long end. If they do that, AND make it smaller and lighter, AND maintain the existing performance between 14mm and ~50mm it will be a nice lens to have.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The original 14-140 is a bit of a landmark lens for a super zoom. It was priced as it was because it is a stellar lens for category. I'm quite impressed with the performance, given the focal length range, of the original lens.

If the new version improves upon that performance, while retaining the truly amazing OIS capability of the original, in a smaller/lighter form factor... and at slightly less cost, even... I would be quite impressed... enough so to upgrade to it from my existing 14-140.