1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

questions about the new 14‑42mm 1:3.5‑5.6 EZ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by manju69, Apr 25, 2014.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi all

I am seriously considering getting an E-M10 (returning to m43 after a year off!) and was wondering about this new kit lens. I usually dislike mechanical zoom but wanted to check first with users..

If you turn the camera off does it retract or keep its focal length?

How about speed - can you zoom in and out and generally not miss shots? I'd hate for it to be slow. I had the 12-50 for a while and found it quite slow (in many regards!)

What about battery life? how does it affect that?

And if you have been used to a manual zoom - how was it to use this one?

and any other hints as well would be useful. I will also get the Oly 25mm prime as my main lens but do want a kit lens that works.

Many thanks for your time in answering!

• Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It retracts when you turn off the camera. It is fast enough not to miss shots. I have not noticed a faster than normal battery drain. We are used and prefer manual zooms, but the size of the EZ over comes that preference. It is my back-up lens to the O17, you will do fine with the EZ paired with your O25.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2014
    Emerald Isle, NC.
    Mark
    I was a little skeptical going with a power zoom lens when I was shopping for my DSLR replacement kit, but ended up ordering an E-M10 & 14-42ez lens to give it a go. I had read some reviews on the little lens and it sounded like a nice addition.

I'm more of a prime person and figured I would have at least one zoom in my kit and really like the lens. The zoom speed can be set in the menu of the E-M10 at either low, normal or high speed and works very well at all settings and I choose to leave mine set on high. The lens retracts when you power off the camera and does not save your last FL, but resets it's to 14mm when turned back on.

It's a very solid lens and have enjoyed using it over the past week along with the primes and other than being a slower lens at f/3.5 I can't tell any difference in image quality compared to my primes.

My wife has the standard manual zoom 14-42ed on her E-PL5 and right off the bat I noticed that the build quality of the EZ is much better than the ED version. With the ED lens when turning on the camera you have to manually open up the lens before you can use the camera and manual hold a switch and turn it to the closed position to store it.

All and all it's a very nice small lens that would make a nice addition to any kit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Echoing what 2112 said, it is a great zoom for a prime lens user.

5. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Enjoying the lens. Nice and compact. I recommend the auto lens cap. Received mine today. It's small, discreet and works well on this lens. As soon as the camera is turned on, lens extends and the cap opens. Pretty cool.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The zoom ring is small and very close to the body so it's quite uncomfortable to grip (but it depends on how you hold the camera).
    I prefer manual zooms, but this works fine too. I'd love the option for a "step zoom". If you fully turn the ring it goes at full speed but turning the ring just a little allow you to make micro adjustment at a lower speed.
    I tried to configure the back buttons to control the zoom, but I didn't like it.

7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks for your helpful responses. Having not been on this forum for a while I forgot how friendly it is! Thanks.

Right I am off to order my EM10!

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I agree with the previous posts about the 14-42EZ. Very surprised and satisfied with the IQ and the power zoom (my primary concern when ordering it) does not detract from it's use at all - though I will admit I still prefer manual zooming.
    I did not bother with the auto lens cap - have read good and bad things about it and removing a lens cap has sort of become second nature over the years anyway.

****BTW - in Custom Menu A there is a setting for "Reset Lens - ON/OFF". It is set to ON by default, but if you turn it to OFF, the camera will still close down the lens when you power the camera off but it will not reset what focal length the lens was last used at. Just did some quick testing and that seems to be the case.****

• Like Like x 1
  9. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks - that is helpful to know.