Questions about reversing lens for Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BeyondTheLines, Apr 24, 2015.

1. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    A little while ago I got a reversing ring as a cheap macro option now that spring is in full swing here. Originally I had thought to use it with my Canon FD 50mm 1.4 but I quickly realised that I don't get much magnification with that lens on m43. My kit zooms look like they'll work ok and my panny 20mm gets me plenty macro (albeit I have to be on top of my subject) but I'm not sure how to set the aperture. I saw one blog where the photographer suggested taking a long exposure photo with the desired aperture and then taking the lens off mid-photo but that sounds like an awful idea to me. Any better ways to achieve this?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

m4/3 lenses are fully electronic, so no other way to set the aperture manually besides removing the lens while aperture is closed down before it has a chance to reset. I don't like that idea either Personally, I'd just find a better fully manual option.

One trick for you to use your 50mm f1.4 is to use basic manual extension tubes instead of reversing ring. It's another $10 or so purchase, but you will get to 1:1 guaranteed and have aperture and focus control

3. BeyondTheLines

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    is there some sort of trick with DOF Preview like I believe there is for some other cameras?

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure, but It's the same trick, really. Remember that the sensor is active even when you are just framing a photo so it can feed to the LCD, so there is no difference between that and taking it off during a photo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. BeyondTheLines

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Thanks for clearing that up, I thought that it would be a safer option and at the least, easier to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    To get decent magnification from the reversing ring, you'd need a lens in the 24-35mm range, but I agree with tkbslc, just get some extension tubes and that will get decent magnification out of your 50mm.

7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    A much much better trick is to use a set of basic manual extension tubes along with the reversion ring, not "instead of".

8. Ozludo

Ozludo New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2014
    Melbourne, Australia
    Fit an FD/FL - μ43 adaptor on the lens, then use the reversing ring. The adaptor sits in front of the reversed lens. The aperture ring should now work. Depending on the focal length you may find the protruding adaptor is a problem. I got this to work with an FL 50mm but I doubt it could be done with 35mm or anything shorter.

9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Canon FL, FD, FDn, and NewFD lenses need to be in the "mounted" mode for the aperture ring to function. The stopdown lever also needs to be held in the closed position on FD, FDn, and NewFD lenses. FD & FDn lenses (the breech lock versions) will latch in the stopdown position if the lever is pressed slightly past the closed position. NewFD (the bayonet fitting lenses) need some external device to hold the lever in the closed position.

Using a FD/FL<>m4/3 adapter on the back of the lens (front facing end when mounted reversed) is one method of achieving this if the adapter provides a mechanism for operating the stopdown lever (e.g. an O/C ring, ...). Back in the day, Canon sold a rear "shade" that did the trick. This was essentially a rear lens cap with no bottom.