Questions about Panasonic cameras

So I have a few questions for those that shoot Panny. I have a few long multiday backpacking, packrafting, kayaking trips planned this spring/summer/fall and on some of these total weight is going to be a big concern (those bush pilots are very strict when it comes to weight limits). So I am looking into ways to lighten up my kit while still maintaining decent image quality.

My first question is can anyone with the Panny 100-300 mk2 and a good set of calipers measure the diameter of the lens mount seal? I keep hoping Olympus would refresh the 75-300 and add weather sealing like Panny did with the 100-300, but since that hasn't happen I am looking at the Panny. Really hoping it is a diameter that will work with my EM1X so I can carry that combo on at least one of my trips as well as my daily bike rides when it is raining.

Second question is what Panny cameras are weather sealed, have DFD, and provide dual IS with the 100-300 (with a preference toward the 20mp cameras)? I really hate picking up an Panny camera but unfortunately the only Olympus cameras that offer weather sealing and a viable CAF are the EM1's and EM5mk3. I may go that way if I can trust the camera/lens seal, but would suck losing out on the dual IS.

Thanks in advance,

Phocal

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
The G9, G85, and G95 all claim to have weathersealed bodies in their product listings, and they should all offer dual-IS with the 100-300ii. G95 is 20MP and is 19% lighter than the G9. The G9 is going to offer the most features and performance, and it handles quite nicely, IMO. I've never held the G95, but I found the G85 to be comfortable to use as well.

Just a caution, if you get the G9, your next logical impulse is going to be wanting the PL100-400. They handle quite well together, as they should for the price.

The G9, G85, and G95 all claim to have weathersealed bodies in their product listings, and they should all offer dual-IS with the 100-300ii. G95 is 20MP and is 19% lighter than the G9. The G9 is going to offer the most features and performance, and it handles quite nicely, IMO. I've never held the G95, but I found the G85 to be comfortable to use as well.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Just a caution, if you get the G9, your next logical impulse is going to be wanting the PL100-400. They handle quite well together, as they should for the price.

That will actually not be a problem. I am looking for a small light weather sealed setup for trips where weight is a premium while also meeting my IQ needs. Several of these trips I can't go over a specified weight and these are not the type of flights were you just pay extra for the extra weight. If my gear weighs over 50lbs I have to remove stuff to leave behind until I am down to the 50lbs. So every gram really does count and I already know I will be leaving things behind just to squeeze a little more camera gear into the bag. What makes it worse is I have to account for taking a small solar panel so I can charge batteries, one of my trips will be 14 days in Gates of the Artic and I will need a lot of battery power for those 14 days.

As for the 100-400, I have my 300/4 and 150/2.....................no desire for the Panasonic or Olympus 100-400 or the Olympus 150-400.

Thanks again,

Phocal

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
@Phocal Ronnie, it might be worth investigating just how good Panasonic weather sealing is compared with that of Olympus.

I don't have any idea about this, and cannot recall ever seeing any reviews/tear downs/comments regarding this.

I'm sure that someone in our Panasonic fraternity here can point you in the right direction.

@Phocal Ronnie, it might be worth investigating just how good Panasonic weather sealing is compared with that of Olympus.

I don't have any idea about this, and cannot recall ever seeing any reviews/tear downs/comments regarding this.

I'm sure that someone in our Panasonic fraternity here can point you in the right direction.

I already know it is not up to the same standards as Olympus. But my alternative is my Olympus 75-300 on my original EM5 or original EM1. So I am sure I will be better off with the Panny setup. Now if I can swing the EM1X and 300/4 I will and for my Brook Falls trip I will have them.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I already know it is not up to the same standards as Olympus. But my alternative is my Olympus 75-300 on my original EM5 or original EM1. So I am sure I will be better off with the Panny setup. Now if I can swing the EM1X and 300/4 I will and for my Brook Falls trip I will have them.
As you would know, the Sony E-M5 MkI sensor is a bit better than the Panasonic one in the E-M1 MkI. (I'm comparing the images from my E-PM2 with my E-M1 MkI). But it's marginal IMO.

The better handling of the E-M1 MkI over the E-M5 MkI would tip the scales in its favour IMO.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom